Tiers of US cities

tocoto

What rail system is in London and I've never been SF but besides the trolly, what do they have. Since when does a rail system have anything to do with tier one.

Oh dear, plesae let this be a joke. I was going to stay out of this from now on, but I really want to save someone from major embarrasment but I fear it may be too late. London has one of the most extensive rail systems in the world and SF has a great rail system than Houston. Also, you say the stealth and most of the fighters were designed in Houston but built in cities lke Pittsburgh and Seattle. I guess we need to upgrade Pittsburgh to tier 1 status because they built them, had it not been for Pittsburgh they wouldn't be flying overhead. I guess you could upgrade Charlotte to tier 1 status as well because of our banking power. Without Bank of America, Wachovia, etc., some wallets in the US would be lacking if not non-existant so I suppose you could say we also make this world go around, just like Houston does. :rolleyes:

I say we take a trip to Tokyo and ask 100 random people on the street if they know what "Houston" is, it would be interesting to hear the response. :lol:

You'd get just as much response as asking them where Bank of America is, hell, they probably have never even heard of the bank.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's educate the poor boy.

Meet London's Underground H-Townrep:

zone_big.jpg

And meet a San Francisco Rail Map (Courtesy of www.sfcityscape.com):

(as you can see we have more than just a *trolley*: heavy rail (BART); commuter rail (CalTrain, ACE, Amtrak); light rail (Muni Metro, VTA); historic streetcars/ trolleys (MUNI); and cable cars (MUNI). The map doesn't include buses either.

system_720.gif

And unlike Houston, people within the city limits of London and San Francisco don't rely on the automobile.

Hmm, the shuttle has a range of only 600 miles. Last time I checked the Moon is 250,000 miles away, more or less. Like the rest of your facts you have this wrong too.

Do a search on Saturn V.

Don't they teach History anymore in schools? Maybe just in tier 1 cities. lol

Hey idiot, I was talking about when Apollo landed on the Moon. YOu know Neil Armstrong saying. "Houston Mission Control, the Eagle has landed" "One small step for man and one giant leap for Mankind" We've been their at least 4 times. When I siad space shuttle I was saying a craft that takes people like a SHUTTLE. Sheesh some people. I wasn't trying to be technical, most people on this board knew what I meant. I don't know much about London, so I was saying I didn't know if they had a rapid transit system. We have been living on a bus system overlay map along with trolly and are implementing our lite rail. We have a new link ready for uptown. Rapid transit system doesn't make for Tier one. both Atlanta and LA have a rapid transit system but still have the worst traffic so who gives a bleep about have a rapid system if it doesn't eleviate traffic concern. We have a great toll system installed along with a great freeway system that keeps traffic moving (except I-10, still being expanded.)

Tokyo (Tier 1)

rosen%20tokyo.jpg

Houston (Tier 1 ????!)

houston_metrorail.jpg

Hech Tokyo has over 35 million people and more than half use that system, people in the Houston area like to drive so the people shot down the subway when it was brought up in the 70's because of flooding concerns and now the buyou plan is in place in order to move waters more safely through the city now a light rail makes sense. In some Tier 1 cities the people make the decision on what the city does. That's called democracy, might not always make sense but that is what it was design for. Those are just underground lines. We do have a people mover in our underground tunnels meaning most of the working population don't have to come out they can walk or get on the people mover underground and it's a nice 20 block tunnel system.

Right, rail transit doesn't alone make a city tier 1 status, but it sure does make you wonder why on earth they would need all of that transit if they weren't extremely important to the world. One can only wonder why.

Tokyo is extremly important, I can't even compare the two. Tokyo is in a league by itself, which doesn't mean other cities aren't as important it just means they are not as significant. Like earlier I said the Houston is Tier 1 but on the Gamma leavel and New York and Tokyo are on the Alpha level. There are level to Tier 1 and we are moving up to the second level along with SF but it still means Tier 1.

If you ran the 100 meter sprint in 9.8 and I ran it in 10.2, we both are fast, it's just you are faster.

the people shot down the subway when it was brought up in the 70's because of flooding concerns and now the buyou plan is in place in order to move waters more safely through the city now a light rail makes sense. In some Tier 1 cities the people make the decision on what the city does. That's called democracy,

Actually, Tokyo's transit system has very little to do with democracy. Many of the lines are privately owned and operated. New York's subway system was originally constructed by private enterprise, it is now owned and operated by the state.

It's called capitalism.

Tokyo is extremly important, I can't even compare the two. Tokyo is in a league by itself, which doesn't mean other cities aren't as important it just means they are not as significant. Like earlier I said the Houston is Tier 1 but on the Gamma leavel and New York and Tokyo are on the Alpha level. There are level to Tier 1 and we are moving up to the second level along with SF but it still means Tier 1.

If you ran the 100 meter sprint in 9.8 and I ran it in 10.2, we both are fast, it's just you are faster.

You're comparing it like Tokyo is 10.2 and Houston is 9.8? Tokyo is tier one, NY is tier 1, Houston is tier 2, there are no tier 1a, tier 1b, tier 1c, that's just ridiculous. You can't be on the same tier as another city if it's in a completely separate league...from your mouth not mine, I'm just clarifying it. It's good to be tier 2, but Houston just has no way of competing, simple as that.

Ok then maybe English isn't a strong suit of Houston's school system as from Websters

space shuttle

...a reusable spacecraft designed to transport people and cargo between earth and space

The Apollo was not reusable hence it is not a shuttle. LOL History & English. Not a good showing for such a tier 1 educational system. :rolleyes:

That is what a space shuttle is but our fleet is called space shuttles and one of those shuttles made it too the moon. In order not to go into the space history lesson, I just weant and lumped them together, for now on I will call them manned space crafts. Our fleet has been called shuttles since the mid 70's. Will space craft be good for you?? We went to the moon on all the way until the early 80's.

Hmm, the shuttle has a range of only 600 miles. Last time I checked the Moon is 250,000 miles away, more or less. Like the rest of your facts you have this wrong too.

Do a search on Saturn V.

Don't they teach History anymore in schools? Maybe just in tier 1 cities. lol

600 miles, um it's more than 600 miles to get to out of Earth and it is more than 600 miles to do anything in outer space. when any space craft comes in, it has to go father than 600 miles. Man that was an incorrect number.

600 miles, um it's more than 600 miles to get to out of Earth and it is more than 600 miles to do anything in outer space. when any space craft comes in, it has to go father than 600 miles. Man that was an incorrect number.

The "Space Shuttle" is defined by the following as far as distance is concerned:

"The space shuttle flies in a low Earth orbit. Orbit altitude varies from 100-300 miles above the Earth's surface."

Source is from University of California San Diego:

http://www.earthkam.ucsd.edu/public/studen...its/part5.shtml

Tier 1- NYC (If you've ever been you'd know what I mean)

Tier 2- LA (population, shipping, movie industry), Chicago (population, economy), Washington (federal gov, nothing else), SF and Boston (rich tech cities with decent size populations)

Tier 3-Atlanta, Houston, Seattle, Dallas, Miami, Philadephia, Montreal, Toronto yadda yadda yadda...

• 4 months later...

Tier 1

_______

NYC

Los Angeles

Chicago

Washington DC

Tier 2

_____

Boston

San Francisco

Philadelphia

Toronto

Tier 3

______

Atlanta

Dallas

Houston

Miami

Detroit

Tier 4

_______

Seattle

Denver

Charlotte

Phoenix

Some might think it ironic to place Charlotte on the list, however it should be noted that outside of NYC, Charlotte holds the highest amount of bank assets of any city due to being the headquarters city of Bank Of America as well as Wachovia. Though its metro population is smaller then all of the other cities listed(1.7million), its importance in the states is elevated due to the financial status.

Some might think it ironic to place Charlotte on the list, however it should be noted that outside of NYC, Charlotte holds the highest amount of bank assets of any city due to being the headquarters city of Bank Of America as well as Wachovia. Though its metro population is smaller then all of the other cities listed(1.7million), its importance in the states is elevated due to the financial status.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it takes more than a strong showing in one major industry to placed that high. Most mid-sized metros rank pretty high in certain areas, when it comes to indivdual economic sectors. Based on that, I wouldn't put Charlotte up higher, than metros like Cincinnati, Louisville, Tampa, or Austin.

Archived