Major League Baseball to Raleigh?

KJHburg

• KJHburg changed the title to Major League Baseball to Raleigh?

from Ral Today e-newsletter on possible names:

""This week, Carolina Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon voiced his support for major league baseball to establish itself in NC, and we have to say, Raleigh would be a home run city for the MLB.

Bigger questions like where, when, and how remain, but we wanted to talk basics: If Raleigh did secure an MLB team, what should it be named?

The folks at MLB Raleigh, a grassroots movement rooting for the great American pastime to establish home plate in Raleigh, have pitched the Greys and Tigers, a nod to former Negro league teams, and the NC Wildlife Resources Commission threw out an idea for Copperheads on X, formerly Twitter.

Now, we want to hear from you. If Raleigh is potentially on deck for an MLB team, what should the team be named? ""

• Like 3

1 hour ago, carolinaboy said:

How about the Flyers or Aviators or Pilots in a nod to the Wright Brothers?

I also thought the Flyers, but Philadelphia has that name for their hockey team.

I think that the Raleigh Aviators has a nice ring to it.

Whatever is chosen, it should be Raleigh XXX instead of Carolina XXX.

• Like 1

A  thing I was thinking about the interest and possible MLB team is that Raleigh is that the Triangle is  further from Atlanta.  The Braves have a huge following especially in upstate SC which is just an hour away from Charlotte and they might be much more supportive a Raleigh based team as it is further away.  As for the Nationals in DC I would say their market is mostly limited to northern VA, DC and the Maryland suburbs of DC.   But in the Carolinas if someone was going to a MLB baseball team in the Charlotte area or points south in SC  it would be to Atlanta to see the Braves.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

North Carolina is the largest state without MLB.  Our two largest TV markets are the biggest without MLB.  If Nashville TN gets a team before NC I'd cry foul.  

Nashville is even closer to Atlanta than Raleigh or Charlotte. It's also only 4 hours from Cincinnati which has the Reds.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RALNATIVE said:

Nashville is even closer to Atlanta than Raleigh or Charlotte. It's also only 4 hours from Cincinnati which has the Reds.

and all the current team owners will want to protect their turf.  That makes NC the top choice for MLB expansion where in the state that is the question.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/14/2023 at 4:29 PM, Phillydog said:

Charlotte Queens

I like Raleigh Kings better...

On 10/12/2023 at 1:29 PM, nicholas said:

Floating around the internet. Solid proposal imo.

raleigh mlb.jpg

I always thought that spot would be perfect for a ball park. Let's hope it eventually comes to fruition.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Consider this -- there seems to be expectation of the major leagues that no city in the Carolinas can support a team on their own, so we have the CAROLINA Hurricanes, and the CAROLINA Panthers.  Fine, in that case, 'The Carolinas" are the 5th biggest state in the country with a population close to 17 million.   NY, FL, TX, CA are larger than us but obviously have multiple ML teams. in every sport.  Even PA and IL and OH and GA which are smaller all have at least one team in every major league, some have more than one.  So, either the next major league team is "Charlotte" or "Raleigh" or if it's going to be "Carolina" again, then we are past due for MLB.  Grrrrrrrr....LOL.

Imagine the rivalry of Washington - Raleigh/Charlotte - Atlanta.

Carolina/Charlotte/Raleigh Croatans or Carolina/Charlotte/Raleigh Aviators (take that Ohio~!)?

Edited by Phillydog
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

while this article is about Nashville's efforts to get a MLB team this is interesting that Raleigh is now being mentioned regularly.   When this first discussion came out it was only Charlotte but now Raleigh is getting mentioned more and more.

Former MLB star wants Nashville expansion with 2023 Winter Meetings held there: “Means everything to me” (sportskeeda.com)

Nashville has built a new MLS soccer stadium and committed to building a new NFL stadium for thie Titans and I am not sure how they can afford to build a new baseball stadium.   The city is under a lot of financial strain and debt obligations. 

The Team – MLB Raleigh  these are good logos but what happened to the name Raleigh Aviators I think that is a great one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

To me Downtown South is the only logical place for a MLB stadium.  Convenient as you said to interstates and downtown plus Kane's plans are wonderful for the area and there is room.  

This is probably the main reason why this area has not be overly developed up to this point. I'm sure that some developers would be very eager to snap up that land to put up more cheaply built apartments.

Seems that the city and some prominent local developers always had their eyes set on some sort of professional sports arena or stadium to occupy that land.

• Like 1