New Census Definitions for 2023

UTgrad09

SMH…. So confused on the Davidson Co. numbers. Assuming they are for 2022 above, but figures in the wiki give Nashville (consolidated) at 715, 884 in 2022. Meanwhile the county population is given as 703,953 (which I believe is what the USCB gives for 2021), a ‘loss’ of 12k from 2020, but also suggesting that Nashville (consolidated) ‘grew’ back those 12k people over the next year but not counted in the county figures given above (708,144). so all over the board!

Could the mayors office just assign one of their bloated staff to keeping track of permits, changes of address, DLs, housing starts, apartment occupancy, school enrollment, etc. even if only semiannually… to have some idea how many more ppl need municipal services?  And coordinate that with the Chamber so they’re not surprised each 10 years. Clueless!

I would need to be shown how any county not in NY, CA, IL and maybe 1-2 other large urban county  ‘lost’ 12k people in 1 year. That would wreck the local economy far beyond what the pandemic did. I mean our oldest 2 children (adults and graduated from college at the time) moved back to our house for second half of 2020, but then subsequently returned to their apartments in their respective cities. Weee those folks not accounted for in the 2021 estimates. And what was the methodology used by those municipalities? And that. Rings us back to Nashville/DavCo inadequate tracking of growth. [stepping down from soapbox now]. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

Tennessee Census Statistical Areas

Primary Statistical Areas:

Yes, thank you for putting this together and sharing! Still curious as to why Clarksville isn't in Nashville's CSA or MSA whilst other population centers considerably farther away - are. 🤔

• Like 1

Yes, Jackson will benefit more than Memphis from Ford Blue Oval as   Memphis is too far away from plant. The big winners are the surrounding rural areas especially Jackson, TN whose airport could benefit.  West Tennessee and Memphis badly need  investment and growth. The auto manufacturing supply companies already in Middle Tennessee are expanding to also serve the Ford facility in West TN, especially for battery manufacturing.

Edited by Nothingspectacular
  • Like 3

I’m honestly surprised Monroe county hasn’t been absorbed into the Knoxville metro area yet. Vonore is basically the lower portion of Loudon County’s Tellico Village and Madisonville is less than 15min from Vonore. And Sweetwater is less than 25 min from Loudon. I can see Madisonville and Sweetwater being pulled more toward Athens and that being a reason the whole county hasn’t being assigned to the metro, but I would say as Loudon and Blount counties both expand towards Monroe, it’ll be absorbed eventually. I must say, it will be interesting to see if the Sevier county area will ever become a part of the Knoxville or Morristown metro as they continue to grow towards each other, or if it’ll stay it’s own. I feel like the latter especially now that it will have its own Target haha. TBH Sevier county has a lot of things Knoxville doesn’t even have…

6 hours ago, UrbanWes03 said:

I’m honestly surprised Monroe county hasn’t been absorbed into the Knoxville metro area yet. Vonore is basically the lower portion of Loudon County’s Tellico Village and Madisonville is less than 15min from Vonore. And Sweetwater is less than 25 min from Loudon. I can see Madisonville and Sweetwater being pulled more toward Athens and that being a reason the whole county hasn’t being assigned to the metro, but I would say as Loudon and Blount counties both expand towards Monroe, it’ll be absorbed eventually. I must say, it will be interesting to see if the Sevier county area will ever become a part of the Knoxville or Morristown metro as they continue to grow towards each other, or if it’ll stay it’s own. I feel like the latter especially now that it will have its own Target haha. TBH Sevier county has a lot of things Knoxville doesn’t even have…

Without looking at the numbers, I would bet Monroe County would qualify to be in Knoxville's CSA if Sweetwater or Madisonville qualified as a micropolitan area. Monroe County is, by far, the most populated county not associated with any metro or micro area.

As far as what @jmtunafish said about Cookeville barely missing Metro status -- yes, it's a real shame with the covid timing. Hopefully they aren't stuck until the next Census.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was not trying to undercut Memphis...Sorry! Just stating the facts that Memphis has got a long road to hoe. It is more like Spring Hill was the big winner from GM. It has grown and grown and is still growing. It has not helped Nashville very much at all other than to take the wind out of the office growth downtown and out into the burbs of Williamson County. It put Spring Hill on the map! The traffic south on I-65 is a nightmare especially on Saturdays when I travel between Huntsville & Nashville. It will help turn Arlington into a boom town, or another little city will grow up right around the plant.

• Like 1

I’m excited to see what will happen in the future for Memphis. I’ve seen images of the new Hyatt Centric, Grand Hyatt, and the Caption hotel that is utilizing old buildings below it, and all the projects look extremely well done architecturally! You are also the only city in TN that still has running trolley lines. And you are getting a BRT line and have Amtrak. Not to mention you have IKEA. To me, it’s a matter of when Memphis will have its time, not if. I think blue oval will help, and the city has a lot of historical buildings and good bones, which is great too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1