1115 N. Orange | 14-story residential [Proposed]

Jernigan

On 6/30/2023 at 5:24 PM, Uncommon said:

Good point

Lightstyles was a great store; bought there as well over the years.  That being said, about 15 years ago, when Orlando was being dissed for not being on the coast ala water-frontage or lack thereof, I was preaching about the Lake Ivanhoe area.  The problem then was that it wasn't being developed with highrises (like Lake Eola had been), wo it really wasn't recognized as a "player" if you will on that front.  But ever since Lakehouse and The Yard have gone up, now Lake Ivanhoe is turning that corner. 

Back during the Boom, Orlando Palace was supposed to anchor Lake Ivanhoe, but it never came to fruition b/c of the Bust.  This development will add to what Lakehouse and The Yard started.  I guarantee you this development is a result of the "image" Lakehouse and The Yard started ala multi-level housing on Lake Ivanhoe ala "location, location, location."

I don't know if I explained it right.  Vue, Aspire, Star, Paramount, CitiTower, Sanctuary, Eola South, 101 Eola, all exist because someone decided to build The Waverly.  And The Waverly was built because of those two condo towers a block away from there.  And then 520 Church and 420 Artisan were built because of those other named projects.

With Lake Ivanhoe, I think this project will continue a trend or start a new one to build up with high rise residential in and around Lake Ivanhoe.  Too bad this project doesn't look like Orlando Palace, but, as they say, not every day is a Sunday...  Regardless, it will add value to that park...

On 6/30/2023 at 11:56 AM, jrs2 said:

what's that phrase about failing upwards?  usually when a design changes, it changes for the worst...LOL...

I’m (somewhat) confident that the ARB will send them back to the drawing board given this is a highly visible location. I don’t believe for a minute the residents of College Park will view this kindly — let along the rest of us!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I’m (somewhat) confident that the ARB will send them back to the drawing board given this is a highly visible location. I don’t believe for a minute the residents of College Park will view this kindly — let along the rest of us!

Is this within ARB? It might be outside of the boundaries. The local neighborhood may be the ones to push for better design. 

4 hours ago, jrs2 said:

Lightstyles was a great store; bought there as well over the years.  That being said, about 15 years ago, when Orlando was being dissed for not being on the coast ala water-frontage or lack thereof, I was preaching about the Lake Ivanhoe area.  

Yeah, that was yours truly who was doing the "dissing" as you put it, or more accurately, being objectively critical of our lack of a REAL waterfront, in the form of a river/waterway running through downtown ala Miami, Tàmpa/St. Pete/Jacksonville, etc. 

And though such a natural topographic feature is certainly not a necessity for a downtown/urban core to be considered great, or even a guarantee of such consideration, it sure does help those cities lucky enough to have it. 

Anyway, I stand by my criticism and even suggest that Lakes Eola and Ivanhoe, though better than nothing, are weak substitutes. 

;) <---- (note winky face) 

4 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Yeah, that was yours truly who was doing the "dissing" as you put it, or more accurately, being objectively critical of our lack of a REAL waterfront, in the form of a river/waterway running through downtown ala Miami, Tàmpa/St. Pete/Jacksonville, etc. 

And though such a natural topographic feature is certainly not a necessity for a downtown/urban core to be considered great, or even a guarantee of such consideration, it sure does help those cities lucky enough to have it. 

Anyway, I stand by my criticism and even suggest that Lakes Eola and Ivanhoe, though better than nothing, are weak substitutes. 

Actually, I was referring to these Tampa zealots over on SkyscraperCity...

• Thanks 1

On 7/3/2023 at 3:56 PM, JFW657 said:

Water is water. It's not like we live in olden times where having your city on a river was an actual economic boon. Ain't no one coming here by boat.  So enjoy your lake views and mentally block out the fact that you're staring at hidden gators & brain-eating amoebas. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, F-L-A said:

Water is water. It's not like we live in olden times where having your city on a river was an actual economic boon. Ain't no one coming here by boat.  So enjoy your lake views and mentally block out the fact that you're staring at hidden gators & brain-eating amoebas. 

A  downtown waterfront would certainly be an economic boon for Orlando.

A couple of rinky-dink lakes is better than nothing I guess, but just barely.   

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

A  downtown waterfront would certainly be an economic boon for Orlando.

A couple of rinky-dink lakes is better than nothing I guess, but just barely.   

It's Florida. Water matters. I don't think it matters as much in other places. Lots of major cities across the US don't have bodies of water in their downtowns and it doesn't seem to be a huge deal, but a Florida city not on the water seems to matter a little more since there is an automatic association with beaches here. Orlando is an awesome city regardless and Lake Eola certainly helps but there is something definitely to be said about a city in Florida that doesn't have a waterfront.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Uncommon said:

It's Florida. Water matters. I don't think it matters as much in other places. Lots of major cities across the US don't have bodies of water in their downtowns and it doesn't seem to be a huge deal, but a Florida city not on the water seems to matter a little more since there is an automatic association with beaches here. Orlando is an awesome city regardless and Lake Eola certainly helps but there is something definitely to be said about a city in Florida that doesn't have a waterfront.

Yep.

Waterfronts is jest plain cool, ding dang it. :shades:

Screenshot-20230705-123856.jpg 

They lend a sense of atmosphere and romance to a city.  

They draw people to them.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Yep.

Waterfronts is jest plain cool, ding dang it. :shades:

Screenshot-20230705-123856.jpg 

They lend a sense of atmosphere and romance to a city.  

They draw people to them.  

That is Savannah, yes? 
The recent extension of the Riverwalk to the power plant is one of my favorite developments in recent memory.  

I’ve thought in the past what it would have been like if say, Sanford was the seat of Central Florida government rather than Orlando. The riverfront location has a lot of untapped potential.

Edited by prahaboheme
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, prahaboheme said:

That is Savannah, yes? 
The recent extension of the Riverwalk to the power plant is one of my favorite developments in recent memory.  

I’ve thought in the past what it would have been like if say, Sanford was the seat of Central Florida government rather than Orlando. The riverfront location has a lot of untapped potential.

And how cool would it be to be able to go downtown and watch big ships come and go? 

savannahships-2.jpg

I love watching big ships come and go.

Gotta drive all the way over to Port Canaveral for that and once you're over there, there's nothing else to do.

Sit in Fish Lips and drink beer.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

And how cool would it be to be able to go downtown and watch big ships come and go? 

savannahships-2.jpg

Gotta drive all the way over to Port Canaveral for that and once you're over there, there's nothing else to do.

LOL.  This is what we've devolved to...the simple things in life...because I love watching the big ships too!  And if you catch it right, you'll see the Oasis Class right there in CT-1...some like 'em skinny...some like 'em WIDE...based on Oasis' displacement, she is considered the BBW of the cruise industry.

Yeah, waterfronts...  Sanford, Kissimmee, and Mt. Dora got us on that front...Eustis too...

Orlando will be fine.  They just need to keep building it up and filling it in.  Look at Hot-lanta...not on water and they've been filling in Midtown gangbusters the past twenty years and it's looking so much better...  DTO is like on life support by comparison...that being said, DTO has been fortunate in getting certain high visibility infill projects built that really made a difference because they replaced vacant lots...Steelhouse, Skyhouse, Radius, Vue, Aspire, 801 North, NORA, Star, CitiTower...and a few others that filled in more recently vacated lots like 520 Church, 420 Artisan, and Society (less more-recent than the others).  And the CSP...

Not much by way of water, but, between Eola, Lucerne, and Ivanhoe, they can build more stuff around them to take advantage of water views...

3 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

That is Savannah, yes? 

Yeah, I caught it too...except that when I stayed there at the JW, the boiler room in the old portion failed and they had to move everyone to the newer side.  Nice facility though.  Nice town...

18 hours ago, JFW657 said:

savannahships-2.jpg

I was at the Grand Bohemian last time I was in Savanah. They have a roof top deck with a bar that I sat and watched ships while downing cocktails. It was awesome.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jack said:

I was at the Grand Bohemian last time I was in Savanah. They have a roof top deck with a bar that I sat and watched ships while downing cocktails. It was awesome.  

I’ve been there too!

I do the drive regularly from DC to Orlando and alternate between staying in Charleston or Savannah overnight. I go back/forth on which city I prefer (like them both so it’s hard to decide). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, prahaboheme said:

I’ve been there too!

I do the drive regularly from DC to Orlando and alternate between staying in Charleston or Savannah overnight. I go back/forth on which city I prefer (like them both so it’s hard to decide). 

Both are nice but I prefer Charleston. But if I am driving down 95, I would prefer to save an hour getting off of the highway and hitting Savannah instead.