New Tennessee Performing Arts Center (TPAC), $500 million, 3,200 seats, 1,500 seats, 500 seats, site unknown

markhollin

4 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Now imagine a situation, like this weekend in Nashville, where TPAC patrons coming to see Aladdin, and Taylor Swift patrons are all trying to get in & out of the same cozy corner of downtown. I imagine lots of the TPAC patrons would just give up! I think it’s a TERRIBLE idea to have TPAC move over that way. I would much rather see it at the Beaman site on Broadway. Nashville’s Broadway Show Series could actually be presented on Nashville’s BROADWAY.

They would give up because it's busy? Downtown is always busy. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Now imagine a situation, like this weekend in Nashville, where TPAC patrons coming to see Aladdin, and Taylor Swift patrons are all trying to get in & out of the same cozy corner of downtown. I imagine lots of the TPAC patrons would just give up! I think it’s a TERRIBLE idea to have TPAC move over that way. I would much rather see it at the Beaman site on Broadway. Nashville’s Broadway Show Series could actually be presented on Nashville’s BROADWAY.

I agree the TPAC patrons would not like a location adjacent to the new stadium. Too many older types (like me) who'd not want to risk the headaches and frustrations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll agree that a TPAC on the river could be fantastic, but I still get back to parking and access. The new stadium will already have less, close, parking, by all accounts, and we will adjust/adapt to that. Add 4000+ seats in a new TPAC and parking will still be an issue. Sport/music/big event fans are used to "hiking" to Nissan. Current TPAC fans (and donors) not so much. (just my opinion) I could see developers of the Beaman, Reed, properties looking at a potential TPAC replacing the office sites that likely won't be needed. TPAC is looking to attract big name donors to help finance construction. Will sitting in the shadow of a new stadium be an enticement to donors? 

• Like 1

No matter if on the Beaman site or on a site in the East Bank district, parking will need to be addressed. Yes the surrounding surface parking lots of today will be gone with the new stadium, but the forthcoming new buildings of the new neighborhood will undoubtedly have underground parking structures. So too would a new TPAC, or any other new development that takes place in any locations. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bnacincy said:

I've been saying this for awhile now, but now it  makes even more sense-a museum /theater district on Upper Broadway which would include a brand new TPAC (Broadway on Broadway series?) would keep TPAC and Museum goers from having to cross  over I-40 (unless they are coming from East Nashville) and extends Broadway entertainment offerings beyond Lower Broadway-would make a good marketing tool for the city.

I would bet that they are relocating to land we already own. Buying private lots would be cost prohibitive. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

I agree the TPAC patrons would not like a location adjacent to the new stadium. Too many older types (like me) who'd not want to risk the headaches and frustrations. 

I doubt that the stadium will be used frequently enough to cause regular headaches for TPAC. Regardless, hopefully we come up with a workable transit plan so it's less of an issue!

Edited by go_outside
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Lol who gives up on coming downtown because it's busy? Do you just avoid every city in the world? Never go to Paris?

Let me reiterate my opinion, it’s the mindset of the old Nashville, the long time residents who are still not able to grasp the concept of what a true city is. I honestly believe they don’t see what’s transforming around them, that metamorphosis into the unknown territory of being a MAJOR CITY! It’s hard to give up jumping into their car and casually driving to the local meat & three or five & dime. All this development is a hard pill for some to swallow, and therefore things like mass transit, density, traffic, noise and let’s not forget the lights , oh all those lights it’s like a circus!! 
just can’t enter into their thoughts. The newbie’s from other parts and the tourist wouldn’t even bat an eye if there was real mass transit ( rail ) or supertalls or GOD forbid separated bike lanes and sidewalks . Nothing is going to really make a difference, until you could change the old mindsets and somehow make them believe that it’s ok to think outside of the box and dream of a better future.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Baronakim said:

Some of us did grasp the changes and revel in them.  Upon reflection, I believe it is because they never saw the squalor and decay in old Nashville because they never visited those areas of town back then.  They lived in their safe suburbs and comfortable segregated subdivisions and mostly, you guessed it,  were white.  Now the folks bemoaning their "loss" of old Nashville are old and white IMO, as me being both old and white, and a Nashville native.  I turned 76 yesterday.  I found looking at the posters on popular Nashville nostalgia websides were mostly older and white, seldom of color and other ethnicity when I checked. I got in the habit of checking because I wanted to know who was critcizing my " too new" attitudes in my posts. They always accused me of being a newcomer because surely a native could not possibly be for such change.  They kicked me off and banned me from those websites.      I would bet that the majority of naysayers still live in the same neighborhoods they lived in 40 to 50 years ago and only visited the neighborhoods and core that was "their" Nashville.  Now the exposion of change in the core is rapidly spreading down the arterial pikes and their blinders no longer work.  IMO the typical natives who so fiercely object to urban growth probably have not driven downtown more than twice in the past two decades.  Now even their beloved shopping centers and malls are threatened and their neighborhoods are no longer the "safe" enclaves they have always been...well maybe Belle Meade still is.   At any rate this is what it seems to me.

I’ve met tons of blacks who resent the changing Nashville. They resent being priced out of their neighborhoods and having to relocate to Smyrna or Murfreesboro, which is a side effect of growth. 

The proclivity of the posters you notice are white makes sense when you realize that 30 years ago Nashville was almost 75% white. It’s like me complaining that posters in an Old Hanoi chat are all Vietnamese. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

I’ve met tons of blacks who resent the changing Nashville. They resent being priced out of their neighborhoods and having to relocate to Smyrna or Murfreesboro, which is a side effect of growth. 

The proclivity of the posters you notice are white makes sense when you realize that 30 years ago Nashville was almost 75% white. It’s like me complaining that posters in an Old Hanoi chat are all Vietnamese. 

Yes, true, but my post was specifically about very old time Nashville natives who post in those "nostalgia" sites.   My comment was not all inclusive as you have seen fit to define it.  Yes indeed many blacks  are being priced out of the market but so are lots and lots of whies as well.  When you say "priced out" I assume you are not talking about black property owners but rather renters and new folks who wish to move into these neighborhoods..  At least the property owners are in a market where they can get top dollar and move elsewhere.  If they didn't get top dollar, well people get swindled  as much today as they did 50 years ago.  As to affordability issuses and evictions, that is another case altogether which I will be happy to share my observations as needed.  I am quite aware of the state of real estate as we sold my grandparents home with 2 lots for $43,000 and it was renovated , flipped and sold for over $300,000.    My post was about old Nashville natives who want no change whatsoever., not complaints about specific gripes on other aspects of Nashvilles's growth..

• Like 2