Dickey-Stephens Park

Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should a new stadium be constructed in War Memorial Park or by the Broadyway Bridge in North Little Rock's downtown?

• Downtown (NLR)
    • Midtown (LR)

• 1 month later...

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Paid attendance at the game today was 10,007, a new record.

Wow. Hadn't even paid attention that they were playing.

I understand that they won't consistently seat 10,000, but I still think the park should have been more to that size to accommodate the times there are larger crowds.

That sounds fantastic. What was the old attendance record? I thought the ballpark seating was for 5600 or so. What gives?

There are 5600 or so fixed seats. There is berm seating and other non fixed seating which can seat much more. I am glad to see the Travs are continuing to attract good crowds for their second season at the new ballpark. This is a very positive sign. I have been to several games this year and the crowds have been very good.

I understand that they won't consistently seat 10,000, but I still think the park should have been more to that size to accommodate the times there are larger crowds.

I went to the game last night and I think there were 7000 or so. The top attendances are usually for day games when schoolkids come to the games on field trips and they pack the park.

Attendance at Dickey-Stephens is holding up well this year. In fact the Travs are doing better than NWA despite it being their first year of minor league baseball and the Hogs having an unusually bad year. In retrospect this park was exactly what the Travs needed to get more community support and the location is excellent.

They added a dinky (and I mean dinky) playground with some inflatable stuff out in far centerfield. It's the only part of the park I would redo at this point, the rest has really grown on me, especially after I took a trip and saw the park in Springdale (which was disappointing).

Personally, I'm glad they don't have more seating. It's hard to draw those kind of numbers on a regular basis. I went to approx 20 games last year and am on pace to exceed that this year. The park, with its current seating, feels more alive the way it is....especially when it's a non-weekend game. There are some things about the park which I think could be improved, but all in all, they've done quite well.

Personally, I'm glad they don't have more seating. It's hard to draw those kind of numbers on a regular basis. I went to approx 20 games last year and am on pace to exceed that this year. The park, with its current seating, feels more alive the way it is....especially when it's a non-weekend game. There are some things about the park which I think could be improved, but all in all, they've done quite well.

I agree. People forget that the figures are for paid attendance. On nights the stadium has average attendance (6-7000) more than half the reserved and box seats appear to be empty.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in NWA this weekend visiting family and attending the Razorback game (ugh), and on our way back I took a quick detour around the Naturals stadium, Arvest Ballpark. I was very impressed with the facility....though the setting gets a zero point zero.

The reason that I was impressed is two-fold. First, reciprocal to the complaint I have about Dickey-Stephens, the seating bowl is substantial both visually and physically in the number of rows, so not only does it look impressive, it is better weighted to the sky boxes above (at DS, the whole upper structure is bigger than the stands, which looks awkward). Second, regardless of whether or not you prefer a more traditional design (DS) or a Modern structure (Arvest), Arvest is much better executed. It looks high quality, and is progressive...looks like the 21st Century, you know, which it is. DS on the other hand is poorly executed, cut corners are rampant and it results in a hokey design in my opinion. The setting though at DS is 100 times more vibrant and dynamic...great views of the skyline and accessibility by electric streetcar (which we often take from the River Market).

Anyway, I was very impressed with Arvest Ballpark - nice facility.

I was in NWA this weekend visiting family and attending the Razorback game (ugh), and on our way back I took a quick detour around the Naturals stadium, Arvest Ballpark. I was very impressed with the facility....though the setting gets a zero point zero.

The reason that I was impressed is two-fold. First, reciprocal to the complaint I have about Dickey-Stephens, the seating bowl is substantial both visually and physically in the number of rows, so not only does it look impressive, it is better weighted to the sky boxes above (at DS, the whole upper structure is bigger than the stands, which looks awkward). Second, regardless of whether or not you prefer a more traditional design (DS) or a Modern structure (Arvest), Arvest is much better executed. It looks high quality, and is progressive...looks like the 21st Century, you know, which it is. DS on the other hand is poorly executed, cut corners are rampant and it results in a hokey design in my opinion. The setting though at DS is 100 times more vibrant and dynamic...great views of the skyline and accessibility by electric streetcar (which we often take from the River Market).

Anyway, I was very impressed with Arvest Ballpark - nice facility.

Interesting, I thought exactly the opposite when I visited.

The cowpasture setting being kind of blah goes without saying.

However, the park itself I thought almost had a 1960s look to it. The boxy windows in the structure reminded me of the backside of Pulaski Heights Baptist where it's facing Cedar Hill. The aluminum siding material looked too much like corrugated tin. The roof was neat and interesting, I'll give you that. I was a fan of the playground, which is the way they should've done it in Dickey-Stephens. All in all I thought the parks in NLR and Frisco were far superior, but perhaps its just personal taste.

I think DS and Dr Pepper/7-Up will hold up well in 20-30 years and this park will look vastly outdated. That's a risk you run with "modern" structures.

• 5 months later...

If you have a little time and the inclination to come up to Conway, a very talented UCA Honors College senior majoring in Digital Filmmaking by the name of Allison Hogue is premiering her documentary "From Ray Winder to Dickey-Stephens" on Friday night (April 3) @ 7 PM in Stanley Russ Hall. Stanley Russ is right next to Reynolds Auditorium. More information about the event is on Facebook right here.

• 1 month later...

I attended the only Saturday afternoon game of the year this past Saturday. As usual it was a good time at the ballpark. I also ate at Ump's. The wings were very good but the burger was too dry. Very disappointed after an Arkansas Times' review stated it was one of the best in town. Please, will someone from Little Rock go the Memphis and learn how to fix a good burger they way they do at Huey's.

View from Ump's outdoor eating area. You really can't see the field but if you like to people watch it is a good spot.

p1040808.jpg

From just behind the visitors dugout.

p1040859.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived