Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very interesting project. I think it will go over well. It's different to see something like this out there only b/c I'm more use to seeing this type of development in older areas of urban areas. I remember back in the very late 80's working on this type of project for Mizner Park in Boca Raton. At that time, this project was one of the first if not the first type of this kind of "live where you work and shop" kinda of things in the State of FL. They were a little afraid the units would not sell, so they opted to make the units rental apts., well once completed the rental apts were booked in less than a week. Now they've added on to Mizner and have condos too.

And I'm not sure why, but I find the following statement by a local realtor in this article to just be silly and provincial....not sure why, but I do:

"I do think Tallahassee is ready for something like this," she said.

If they do this right, it will be awesome.

The towncenter at Southwood has been a great success.

I hope they build a nice restaurant at the end of the street overlooking the lake...that would be sweet.

If they only followed this design at Gaines Street...

I spent a lifetime living one year in Central Fl, so Ahhh is definitely a word I'd not use. While I like these lifestyle type centers in suburban areas, in more urban areas I like when they happen more organically such as Las Olas in Lauderdale, King St. in Chas., SC, Pac. Heights in SF etc. I've been to Atlantic Station in ATL and for the area it just looks too fake or Disneyesque for my taste.

LOL! It was 6:04 AM! I was just waking up.

I was over in Southwood yesterday for my doctor's appointment, when it hit me that Southwood is slowly becoming a community destination. Usually you'd think a person wouldn't need to visit Southwood unless they live there, work around there, or are visiting someone who lives there. But here I was going to my doctor at the Capital Regional Medical Center office at Southwood thinking, I never thought I'd see the day when I'd be getting my physical at Southwood.

Right afterwards I did drive around just a bit and I see they've made significant progress on North Florida Financial since my last visit, and the Southeast Corporate HQ looks like its complete, or nearly so. It's astonishing how quickly the office development has come along. It almost appears there are no more parcels remaining along Capital Circle.

The New Apartment complex is really nice. I went over yesterday to check out some of their units, as I am in the market (sorta, more looking to purchase than to rent, but I'm TJ and I'm always interested in different things) so I check it out. They have to have the most elaborate, gigantic, ammenity packed Clubhouse I've ever seen. Some of the Floor plans I saw were questionable, but for the most part the complex is fairly nice. I can see residents enjoying their stay here.

I'm assuming you mean Dr. DeLisle. My husband and I were his first patients on opening day and we really like him and welcome him to the neighborhood. It's so great to have a family physician so close to us. As much as I felt that Southwood was another Stepford Village at first, I'm grateful for the doctor's office and Town Center being there!

I'm assuming you mean Dr. DeLisle. My husband and I were his first patients on opening day and we really like him and welcome him to the neighborhood. It's so great to have a family physician so close to us. As much as I felt that Southwood was another Stepford Village at first, I'm grateful for the doctor's office and Town Center being there!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived