Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

When I was a college student, my primary focus was "What is close to campus?" We had bars, fast food, a few restaurants, Wal-mart (barf) and a Publix (hooray). I never felt slighted by FSU or the City that our amenities weren't as posh as the NE side mostly because my concern at the time was focused around school.

When I go to the FSU campus now, I am really jealous. They have better on-campus dining, a great movie theatre, etc...Around campus they now have even more restaurants, a Starbucks, a better Publix, better Apt. complexes, more parking...In short, there doesn't seem to be much reason now for students to have to venture too far from campus (which to me seems like the point).

I do think that the nearby FSU area misses the boat on the "cool" area. The strip of funky stores, coffee houses, etc...It seems to be more spread out around the off-campus area...fingers crossed for the Gaines Street corridor to fulfill this need and for Railroad Square to get even more attention.

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this is the Southwood thread, I'll keep it semi short. I am appalled at the amount of garbage, trash and general crap left on the sides of the streets and on the street in the student neighborhoods on the westside of town. I am there often and it never seems to amaze and make me sad to see it. Where were these students raised? The garbage dumps of FL? I'm sure they'd never treat their gated communities back home in Tampa, Orlando, Jax and S. FL like this. I believe pride in FSU should also extend to keeping your neighborhood respectable even if you are just gonna live their for a few short years. Community pride is a two way street.

Since this is the Southwood thread, I'll keep it semi short. I am appalled at the amount of garbage, trash and general crap left on the sides of the streets and on the street in the student neighborhoods on the westside of town. I am there often and it never seems to amaze and make me sad to see it. Where were these students raised? The garbage dumps of FL? I'm sure they'd never treat their gated communities back home in Tampa, Orlando, Jax and S. FL like this. I believe pride in FSU should also extend to keeping your neighborhood respectable even if you are just gonna live their for a few short years. Community pride is a two way street.

I am repeating this update that I also posted in the major developments thread:

Though I am not Glenn, Celebrated or stjoe, I noticed:

-the intersection of blairstone and capital circle has some pavement and curbs, and is coming along quicly

-the first group of Beazer townhomes if fully framed, and the second is about half framed

-golf carts on city roads are on the commission schedule for approval

-the Southeast Corporate CU building is completed on the outside, and should be only a few months out

-the NFl Financial building has a steel frame erected (just N of the SECCU building)

-land is cleared along Esplanade just E of the NFl Fin. bldg for something, but I am not sure - is this the TMH extension?

-the corner of Merchants Row and Esplanade has erosion barriers up, does this signal the start of some construction?

-I hear that the new elementary school is delayed at least a year

-Super Target is not a rumor, and neither is Lowes, but there is not a timeline set for either project that I know of (some time in the next two years)

-if you haven't seen the new Tram/CCSE intersection, you would have no idea that it was the same intersection, there are something like 18 lanes in all directions now.

-as reported by JBarber, Chick Fil A is heading in to new commercial property across from Publix

Poonther, somehow you always manage to say the things I forget to say. This is exactly what I mean by government turning a blind eye to the poorly maintained areas on this side of town.

I look at Southwood, and I look at some of the theme parks in Orlando and wonder, how do they keep these areas so nice, all of the time? We need to do better. When I worked for the City Manager's office, Mr. Brown (Marlon) used to tell me when the city's tax base grows these things will improve. I sure hope he's right.

Thanks Toolman for the comprehensive update. According to this article:

http://www.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../701120349/1003

The contruction at Merchants Row and Esplanade is the TMH building.

Also, since Lowes is already in pre-submittal I would think that project may happen sooner than later. I believe they have already closed on the land as well.

I am repeating this update that I also posted in the major developments thread:

Though I am not Glenn, Celebrated or stjoe, I noticed:

-the intersection of blairstone and capital circle has some pavement and curbs, and is coming along quicly

-the first group of Beazer townhomes if fully framed, and the second is about half framed

-golf carts on city roads are on the commission schedule for approval

-the Southeast Corporate CU building is completed on the outside, and should be only a few months out

-the NFl Financial building has a steel frame erected (just N of the SECCU building)

-land is cleared along Esplanade just E of the NFl Fin. bldg for something, but I am not sure - is this the TMH extension?

-the corner of Merchants Row and Esplanade has erosion barriers up, does this signal the start of some construction?

-I hear that the new elementary school is delayed at least a year

-Super Target is not a rumor, and neither is Lowes, but there is not a timeline set for either project that I know of (some time in the next two years)

-if you haven't seen the new Tram/CCSE intersection, you would have no idea that it was the same intersection, there are something like 18 lanes in all directions now.

-as reported by JBarber, Chick Fil A is heading in to new commercial property across from Publix

Reply to Questions:

Land is cleared along Esplanade just E of the NFl Fin. bldg for something, but I am not sure - is this the TMH extension?

Answer: I believe this is the Glenda Connelly State Farm Office.

The corner of Merchants Row and Esplanade has erosion barriers up, does this signal the start of some construction?

Answer: This is the TMH expansion.

The Tallahassee Community Hospital office building on Esplanade has been completed with landscaping. It was built by Sperry and is in an Arts and Crafts style. It is an attractive addition to SouthWood.

Updates:

The First District Court of Appeal is in the design phase for a building on the Southwest corner of Esplanade and Merchants Row.

Construction is underway for the SouthWood portion of the Orange Ave extension and the extension of Four Oaks Blvd and Mossy Creek Drive to Orange.

The new elementary school which will be located near the intersection of Four Oaks and Orange is under design by Barnett Fronzack Architechs.

The first services for the new Good Samaritan (SouthWood) Methodist Church will take place on Sunday, Jan 28 at 10 AM in the FSUS High School Auditorium (Florida High). The parking lot is on the south side of the school. The church has 14 acres of land on Capital Circle across from DataMax where it will build a PreSchool, Community Center and Church. The architectural style will be North Florida, similar to SouthWood styles. It is to be inclusive for the entire community, not just SouthWood residents. That is why it isn't called SouthWood Methodist. Everyone is invited to attend the first service.

The Tallahassee Community Hospital office building on Esplanade has been completed with landscaping. It was built by Sperry and is in an Arts and Crafts style. It is an attractive addition to SouthWood.

The First District Court of Appeal is in the design phase for a building on the Southwest corner of Esplanade and Merchants Row.

Construction is underway for the SouthWood portion of the Orange Ave extension and the extension of Four Oaks Blvd and Mossy Creek Drive to Orange.

The first services for the new Good Samaritan (SouthWood) Methodist Church will take place on Sunday, Jan 28 at 10 AM in the FSUS High School Auditorium (Florida High). The parking lot is on the south side of the school. The church has 14 acres of land on Capital Circle across from DataMax where it will build a PreSchool, Community Center and Church. The architectural style will be North Florida, similar to SouthWood styles. It is to be inclusive for the entire community, not just SouthWood residents. That is why it isn't called SouthWood Methodist. Everyone is invited to attend the first service.

I love Arts and Crafts style. Anyone got a pic of this bldg? Wouldn't that be Capital Region Medical Center and not TCH? (I am so glad of that name change, it sure got confusing.)

Is this a complete move by the First District Court of Appeal or just a satellite building for them?

Does anyone know the timeline for COT's construction of Orange Ave (Monday St.) out to CCSE?

Hey I was raised Methodist. I take it w/all that info. you are one now?

"The First DCA will be moving to the SouthWood site and the FSU Law Scool will move into the DCA building they currently occupy."

Forgive me...what is DCA? WHat is this about the FSU Law School moving? I am certain I am reading that wrong. Thanks for any clarification.

First I've heard of this possible 1st DCA move and FSU law school taking over their location. It's a tough call on how I feel about it. I do like the fact that FSU Law will get more space and it will put the univesity just across the street from Kleman Plaza which is a plus in my book. However I'm a little unsure about the court moving its primary location out to the 'burbs. It always just seems natural to have judicial bldgs. in the CBD of any city.

I don't know too much about the business of the 1st DCA since my only court exposure has been serving on Leon County Court juries. Does something like the court generate much traffic? Would the CDB miss these people's presence and monies spent in the CBD on lunches etc or will FSU's Law School expansion just sorta fill the same void that was left?

Is the District Court of Appeals the white bldg. across Bronough from Kleman and across MLK from FSU Law? If not where is it? I get all these courts mixed up.

Ah FSU wants to close off a street (which personally I don't think is a bad idea once I figure out which one) but I'll bet you dollars to donuts that UNFORTUNATELY COT and FSU will go at it again over this one. :(

Tonight in one of my URP classes my professor made numerous references to Southwood in a discussion of New Urbanism. He seems to think it is "sorta-New Urbanism" but not quite. In my mind I'm thinking, Southwood is the poster child of new Urbanism.

He goes on to site a study that would bascially classify Southwood as dense sprawl. He also made reference to Carolina Oaks in Frenchtown as a small example of New Urbanism.

What does the group here think of Southwood? New Urbanism or no? I say it is. And a darn good example of one.

Archived