Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still, Wegman's in the Northeast has to take the cake as far as overblown big box supermarkets goes, with their stores the size of Target filled with food, giant food courts with all sorts of freshly prepared foods, and in at least one location, a full service upscale restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

I got a letter from Southwood Project Manager today. The highlights are:

-Sales center has moved to Town Center in the new "Welcome Home Center"

-Beazer is now building townhomes in SW and anticipates selling single family homes in Woodland Fields in early 2007

-David Weekly Homes plans to being selling preconstruction single family homes in Woodland Fields in 2007.

-Custom home lots are still available for sale in San Martin Village and Park View Village.

-The golf club is adding some administrative office space, a flag pole and a starters pavillion.

-Delaney Park (apartments at the corner of Blairstone and Cap Cir SE) will begin leasing this month

-Regions Bank will have a location in SouthWood's Business Park Phase 2, which is south of Blairstone Rd across from Southwood Village (Publix). No other announcements yet.

The bigger news (but some is already known):

-Leon County Schools will open a new public elementary school in Fall 2008 in SW, on the north side of Orange Ave extension at the Four Oaks extension (both roads are planned)

-Town Center expansion is planned for Summery 2007, and will be managed by Broad Street Partners. They plan to build a mix of 3 and 4 story buildings along Merchants Row that will have residential space over retail sites.

I got a letter from Southwood Project Manager today. The highlights are:

-Sales center has moved to Town Center in the new "Welcome Home Center"

-Beazer is now building townhomes in SW and anticipates selling single family homes in Woodland Fields in early 2007

-David Weekly Homes plans to being selling preconstruction single family homes in Woodland Fields in 2007.

-Custom home lots are still available for sale in San Martin Village and Park View Village.

-The golf club is adding some administrative office space, a flag pole and a starters pavillion.

-Delaney Park (apartments at the corner of Blairstone and Cap Cir SE) will begin leasing this month

-Regions Bank will have a location in SouthWood's Business Park Phase 2, which is south of Blairstone Rd across from Southwood Village (Publix). No other announcements yet.

The bigger news (but some is already known):

-Leon County Schools will open a new public elementary school in Fall 2008 in SW, on the north side of Orange Ave extension at the Four Oaks extension (both roads are planned)

-Town Center expansion is planned for Summery 2007, and will be managed by Broad Street Partners. They plan to build a mix of 3 and 4 story buildings along Merchants Row that will have residential space over retail sites.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Great discovery JBarber, although I'm not awfully excited about the location. Think for a moment:

Why put so many stores so close? Why not a single store on the W side of town. Can "we" (now speaking as one who lives West of Monroe) not afford to spend $5 on a meal? Or are we just undeserving of a quality Chicken nugget?

This is an example of why College Students come to Tallahassee and easily grow to hate the place, that is unless they live in a nicer area of town, which few do. Clean streets, cut grass, nicer buildings, "cute" homes, better schools, better shopping, better dining is all located outside of our normal routine. Why not provide us with some of the modern, contemporary services the rest of the city enjoys so that all of Tallahassee can move forward together, instead of 3/4 of it?

You'd think this would be a priority for both of the universities, where is FSU's leadership on this stjoe? FAMU too. With all of the money being spent to dress up the campuses, you'd think they'd work a little harder to bring in some retail and dining establishments (off campus) to cater to their students.

When I was a college student, my primary focus was "What is close to campus?" We had bars, fast food, a few restaurants, Wal-mart (barf) and a Publix (hooray). I never felt slighted by FSU or the City that our amenities weren't as posh as the NE side mostly because my concern at the time was focused around school.

When I go to the FSU campus now, I am really jealous. They have better on-campus dining, a great movie theatre, etc...Around campus they now have even more restaurants, a Starbucks, a better Publix, better Apt. complexes, more parking...In short, there doesn't seem to be much reason now for students to have to venture too far from campus (which to me seems like the point).

I do think that the nearby FSU area misses the boat on the "cool" area. The strip of funky stores, coffee houses, etc...It seems to be more spread out around the off-campus area...fingers crossed for the Gaines Street corridor to fulfill this need and for Railroad Square to get even more attention.

"You'd think this would be a priority for both of the universities, where is FSU's leadership on this stjoe?"

TJ,

FSU's leadership is working their tail off to increase research, raise hundreds of millions of dollars, and educate 40K students. Bringing Chik Fila is low on their priority list.

THAT said, they are bringing a Chilis to campus. I just went to a recently renovated dining facility and it makes what I had available to me when I was an FSU student like a garbage dump. FSU has literally improved the dining situation on campus 1000% fold from when I was a student in the 80s/90s.

Remember private business follow the money. That is just captialism. If there was money to be made somewhere, folks usually will put it there. I don't mean this as a smart aleck, but if you really believe there is money there, you should consider building something there. Not all entrepreneurs start out with a bucket of money. Most start with nothing, just an idea and some guts. You could do the same.

I know that when I went to FSU, I never 'came to hate the area' (not sure of the exact wording). I grew to LOVE FSU. Sure, it is not perfect (where is?), but I grew to love FSU and still do. I could live ANYWHERE in the US & Canada with my job and I choose Tally. FSU was the main magnet for me in that decision.

As I have told you before. If local politicians did a better job at assiting FSU and bringing in private business, you would get the money in this town, get the large buildings, investments for a PAC, and the restaurants you want. Govt by itself is an extremely limiting thing. Tally is 20-30 years behind other state capitals because they haven't figured this out yet.

Sorry for the sidetrack.

Archived