Growth: Southwood

cityboy05

As TJ stated, Hauffman/Tarmey Architechture is who you need to contact. Mark Tarmey is actually the town architect for SouthWood. He's a great guy to know & he will bend over backwards to work with you on any design issues whether it be fencing, landscaping or your actual home design.

That firm is a God-send to Tallahassee. Their work is among the best.

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 740
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Celebrated coming through, nice! Those are great shots. I suppose if SW cookie cutters are all we have to complain about we are darn lucky! I still remember going out to that park before too much was developed to tooss the frisbee with my hippie friends! Good times in a beautiful nook, that is now the heart of a proud community!

Celebrated, StJoe... and anyone else in Southwood:

Is the Huston's open yet? If so, has anyone eaten there? And reccomendations/cautions?

It is not open yet but they are putting the finishing touches on the place. I believe it is supposed to open by mid February but I don't have an actual date.

It is not open yet but they are putting the finishing touches on the place. I believe it is supposed to open by mid February but I don't have an actual date.

I don't know why, but it feels like this one is a bit behind schedule. Was it supossed to open with the YMCA and Sharky's?

Celebrated, StJoe... and anyone else in Southwood:

Is the Huston's open yet? If so, has anyone eaten there? And reccomendations/cautions?

I spoke with the owner, Ray Huston (also owns The Loop) & he said some City permitting issues & equipment delivery delays have pushed him back a bit but he's planning for a mid-February opening at this point. All of his kitchen equipment is finishing being installed this week. His signage has also been installed in the last few days. It's really taking shape inside & looks like it will be a very nice addition to our community.

I kind of ate at Hustons during a neighborhood event around the holidays. They provided soup for the event, which was good, but hardly a representative sample of the menu. They were handing out menus there, and I must say it struck me as different than what I was expecting. It seemed much more 'cafe' than 'restaurant'.

Yeah...I noticed it's been kind of quite on here today/tonight. :(

I'm definitely enjoying the faster speed now that they upgraded the server though!!! :D

Absolutely! I thought it was my own computer, but now it seems everything is Supercharged (like my car)!

Hopefully Huston's will speed things up too. (I had to keep it on topic! :P )

UPDATE...Looks like construction is about to begin on the new Southeast Corporate Credit Union Services Building in SouthWood. They were issued an actual building permit last week after paying off the outstanding permit fee balance & there is finally some activity on the site. :)

Permit Number TBB052496 Permit Type T-BLDP 3692 COOLIDGE CT

Parcel #: 311626 C0100 Issued: 01/23/2006 Valuation: 4500000 Total Fees: 40016. Sq Ft: 31524

Type/Class: 01 22 Use: DESCRIPTION: SS - NEW COMM OFFICE (SE CORP FED

SOUTHEAST CORPORATE OWNER 576-8900

SOUTHEAST CORPORATE OWNER 576-8900

HBE CORPORATION APPLICANT 314-567-9000

FREDERICK S. SCOTT ARCHITECT 314-567-9000

H B E CORPORATION CONTRACTOR 314-567-9000

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not really excited about a Holiday Inn Express being built across from SouthWood on a prime corner such as Blairstone & Capital Circle.....it just doesn't fit in at that location in my opinion. That prime spot calls for something much better. If they want to stick with the Holiday Inn concept, I think they should strongly consider building something like the new 6 story Holiday Inn that recently opened on North Monroe at I-10. That would be a better fit across from SouthWood than a Holiday Inn Express. There are alot of people that come here for business with the State at the Satellite Office Complex, with St Joe, DataMaxx, soon to be built headquarters of SE Corporate Credit Union Services, etc. & I doubt most of these people will stay at a Holiday Inn Express.....no matter how smart it might make them feel the next morning...Ha!!! :lol:

Kind of a small deal, but there is an early stage development (pre-submittal) meeting tomorrow 3/2 to discuss the Glenda Conley State Farm building at the corner of Esplanade and Fernleigh, which is pretty close to the site of the new SECCU building site. The building is planned at 6912 sq ft.

There is currently a larger building under construction right now on Esplanade, very close to the Wakulla Bank. Does anyone know what that building will be, its not the SECCU HQ because signage for that building was on another site.

TJ, I assume you're talking about the 2 story building on that corner, right? I've wondered about that building as well but I've never been by there when there were any workers present to ask questions of. Someone told me they thought it was a Doctor's office but I'm not so sure about that being correct information. I'll try to get by there one day to catch some workers.

Just FYI...Some information pertaining to SouthWood development recently filed with Growth Management:

PRELIMINARY PLAT

3. Southwood Town Center (TSD060009) located on 16.83 acres on the east side of Colleton Court at the terminus of Merchants Row Boulevard. The proposed project is the subdivision of the site into 3 residential lots at a density of 2.02 units per acre. The site is zoned PUD-38 (Planned Unit Development 38).

4. Southwood Unit 30 (TSD060010) located on 11.39 acres at the northern end of Four Oaks Boulevard. The proposed project is the subdivision of the site into 56 residential lots at a density of 4.92 units per acre. The site is zoned PUD (Planned Unit Development)LDR-4.

There is currently a larger building under construction right now on Esplanade, very close to the Wakulla Bank. Does anyone know what that building will be, its not the SECCU HQ because signage for that building was on another site.

OK...the workers on site today at this location told me they thought everything there was just for lease by the owners & didn't know any names or types of businesses possibly moving in there. I checked all the the Growth Management & Development applications, permit filings & approvals as well as the State Division of Corporations. The LLC that owns these 2 properties/buildings under construction, as well as filed for all the permits, is indeed made up of 4 local guys who consist of a Doctor/Neurologist, an Engineer, a CPA & his Brother who is involved in Real Estate. Maybe they're planning to utilize part of it for themselves & then lease out the rest. However, the deed restrictions do prevent any business locating there from being anything real estate related i.e. Sales, Rentals, Title Insurance, Mortgages, etc. (After all, Big Daddy Joe has got to look after their own best interests! :lol: )

Archived