Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

The new SRG development on Steele is going through Tech Plat committee.  It is shown as the Uptown Apartments with 435 units, and 12,350 square feet of retail space.  No renderings shown, but it looks like it will front the street with parking in the rear.  Should be a good thing for Uptown.

• Like 2

I heard it'll be a law office upstairs and a bike shop downstairs (entrance on the back).

It was once a law office, but right now we have a formal agreement with only one tenant, and it's no lawyer.  We've had interest from retail, restaurants, and a coffee shop.  There will be a very cool apartment or two, as well.  I want to announce our tenant soon, because y'all will love it.  For now, it's not my news to share.

• Like 1

It was once a law office, but right now we have a formal agreement with only one tenant, and it's no lawyer.  We've had interest from retail, restaurants, and a coffee shop.  There will be a very cool apartment or two, as well.  I want to announce our tenant soon, because y'all will love it.  For now, it's not my news to share.

Are you all talking about the same building?  I know Specialized is doing 200 W. Center.  Are you doing something with the law office on Block Ave?

I was referring to the building on Block Avenue across the street from Little Bread Co. I believe you're referring to the renovation at Church and Center streets.

I was really surprised to see the Fayetteville planning commission unanimously deny the rezoning for the MLK Neighborhood Market project.  From the article in today's newspaper it sounds like the city is trying to get a design more like the design of the new NHM in downtown Bentonville. They apparently want storefronts closer to the street and parking in the back.  I can't find any other retailer on MLK that is in compliance with this -- and considering the property currently contains a bunch of dilapidated old warehouses I would have thought they'd approve this thing.  I'm reminded of the drama with the sale barn property drama that took place a few years back.

I was really surprised to see the Fayetteville planning commission unanimously deny the rezoning for the MLK Neighborhood Market project.  From the article in today's newspaper it sounds like the city is trying to get a design more like the design of the new NHM in downtown Bentonville. They apparently want storefronts closer to the street and parking in the back.  I can't find any other retailer on MLK that is in compliance with this -- and considering the property currently contains a bunch of dilapidated old warehouses I would have thought they'd approve this thing.  I'm reminded of the drama with the sale barn property drama that took place a few years back.

I'm not surprised they denied it.  The form development has been taking east of the RR tracks there is more like a form-based code environment.

As for general examples in that side of town, the small building with the nail salon (on the way to Walmart Supercenter) is more "form based" with parking behind and to the side.  Dollar General on S. School is also form-based.  On MLK, I think Dunkin Donuts is, as well as Andy's Custard, with parking in the rear and the building closer to the street.

Edited by wmr

I'm surprised the owners are planning to appeal to the City Council. The Commission sent a clear message that a different zoning is preferred in that area. If the Council reverses a 8-0 decision it shows no faith in the planning process.  The owners should be working with the City to find common ground instead of fighting the decision. They should go back to WM and work with them to find a solution that fits the what is needed to make the project happen.

• Like 2

I'm surprised the owners are planning to appeal to the City Council. The Commission sent a clear message that a different zoning is preferred in that area. If the Council reverses a 8-0 decision it shows no faith in the planning process.  The owners should be working with the City to find common ground instead of fighting the decision. They should go back to WM and work with them to find a solution that fits the what is needed to make the project happen.

I do recall the City Council agreeing to a project or two that the Planning Commission turned down.  But I can't say those were unanimous decisions either though.

Don't forget the Aldi's across from lowes on MLK had to meet this new zoning. The apartments built on the old livestock ground had to meet this as well. WalMart needs to be held to the same standard all the newer developments have around there. The fear was all parking in front with the store in the back. Walmart can do better and it's insulting they tried the stock format here knowing what others had to meet recently.

• Like 2

Don't forget the Aldi's across from lowes on MLK had to meet this new zoning. The apartments built on the old livestock ground had to meet this as well. WalMart needs to be held to the same standard all the newer developments have around there. The fear was all parking in front with the store in the back. Walmart can do better and it's insulting they tried the stock format here knowing what others had to meet recently.

Yep, another two good examples.  At a minimum it needs to meet those standards.  It would be nice if WM would go above and beyond here, since its in their home market, but I'm not holding my breath.  

Edited by wmr
  • Like 1

Anyone know what improvments are being done to Razorback at the MLK intersection? 

AFAIK its the four-laning eventually up to Maple on the campus.  Is there something else going on there?

The University owns a few other properties west of that intersection which are supposed to be scraped and replaced with landscaping.

Expansion of WRMC...

Interesting. Thanks. Seems like a prime spot.

AFAIK its the four-laning eventually up to Maple on the campus.  Is there something else going on there?

The University owns a few other properties west of that intersection which are supposed to be scraped and replaced with landscaping.

I think this first phase is just to Leroy Pond but I may be mistaken. They sure do seem to be taking their sweet time the last few weeks.

• 3 weeks later...