Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mith242

The thing is that Wedington and West Fayetteville is vastly underserved in restaurant and retail amenities on that side of town.  If they were to come to the Wedington area near that intersection of Wedington and I-49, it would give people a destination spot for the west side and even attract those on the east side.  I live on the West side of Fayetteville and it is very frustrating to have to drive to MLK or the Mall area to go eat, shop, etc.  Wedington is getting better with the Walmart Neighborhood Market, Slim Chickens, and a Starbucks (opening soon).  That definitely helps, but we are still in need of more restaurants and retail.

I personally would love to see Chipotle, a nice Mexican restaurant or tex-mex chain restaurant, Chick-fil-a, maybe a PeiWei, and a Bakery on that side of town.

The thing is that Wedington and West Fayetteville is vastly underserved in restaurant and retail amenities on that side of town.  If they were to come to the Wedington area near that intersection of Wedington and I-49, it would give people a destination spot for the west side and even attract those on the east side.  I live on the West side of Fayetteville and it is very frustrating to have to drive to MLK or the Mall area to go eat, shop, etc.  Wedington is getting better with the Walmart Neighborhood Market, Slim Chickens, and a Starbucks (opening soon).  That definitely helps, but we are still in need of more restaurants and retail.

I personally would love to see Chipotle, a nice Mexican restaurant or tex-mex chain restaurant, Chick-fil-a, maybe a PeiWei, and a Bakery on that side of town.

I live in NW Fayetteville (near Holcomb) and it is easier for me to hit Wedington rather than drive to Uptown, MLK, or Downtown for that matter.  I do agree that more restaurants are needed in that area.  I do see it continuing to bring more fast food or maybe casual dining as compared to larger sit down chains.  I am a little surprised that places like Burger King, Braums, KFC (for examples) have not added a location out there quite yet.  Chipotle is putting another location on N. College so I doubt they will add a west Fayetteville location.  Depending on what happens with Cross Church and the remaining land around it, I could see something like a Chuy's, Cheddar's, Outback popping up if more hotels and retail space begin to fill in.

I would expect to see some additional food options in west Fayetteville over the next 18 months

Granted it's nice to finally see something going on at that area, but a church really wasn't what I had in mind.  Just seems like that location could have been useful for a lot of other things that would drive more development.  Not really sure a church specifically drives development for the rest of that area.  Much of the time it isn't really in use compared to say other retail establishments and such.

I think the church will be a good use of the property and will drive further development. I'm betting they will add another Shiloh Christian School campus as part of the master plan. I just hope they don't try to add three giant crosses right on the highway. No offense to anyone....

As with all mega churches with the three giant crosses, Six Flags over Jesus.

Edited by TRB

I think the church will be a good use of the property and will drive further development. I'm betting they will add another Shiloh Christian School campus as part of the master plan. I just hope they don't try to add three giant crosses right on the highway. No offense to anyone....

Yeah, not trying to ruffle any feathers either.  Depending on everyone's own beliefs might be influencing people's ideas on whether this is a good thing or not.  I'm just trying to think of it simply from a development standpoint.  Unless a school goes in just seems to me no matter how big the church is, it's still not in use most of the time so why would other developers want to develop anything else in the immediate area because of this.  Granted sitting empty wasn't doing any wonders either.  Although sounds like I may have heard an explanation on why that land has been empty for so long.  Sounds like there were a number of stipulations for that site.  Making it more difficult for developers to do something with that site.  Which would explain why no one ever seemed to do anything there for so long.  I've just though it odd that compared to other NWA cities Fayetteville seems to have undeveloped areas near I-49.  

The undeveloped areas are due to sever factors, price, topography, north fayetteville 's draw and remaining land.

As for Wedington, I think development is occurring not just because the church will go, but also because of timing and s rising market. If it wasn't cross church, it might have been someone else. Regardless, churches still bring crowds that other business can feed from. Movie theaters are only really busy at night and on weekends. Not dissimilar.

Many churches have business throughout the week. The church we attend has functions daily. Some days it might only be 20-30 people, others 600. We don't even have a daily daycare service yet. A well utilized church will always produce revenue for surrounding businesses, not to mention all the consumables that are used on service days. Also, think about all the overall goodness in the community it will do.

Many churches have business throughout the week. The church we attend has functions daily. Some days it might only be 20-30 people, others 600. We don't even have a daily daycare service yet. A well utilized church will always produce revenue for surrounding businesses, not to mention all the consumables that are used on service days. Also, think about all the overall goodness in the community it will do.

Well said.

Larger scale projects seem to be gaining ground in Fayetteville once again.  With all of the huge student housing projects either finished or at least started and the mega churches plans it looks like new mixed used neighborhoods will be popping up once again.  

Westside Village which will be located just north of the Boys and Girls Club along Rupple Road will have close to 75,000 sq feet of commercial space and over 350 dwellings. This is all setting on a walkable 20+ acres with a nearby trail connection.  From the plans it looks like townhouses, live/work units, flats, and mixed use commercial.  Not a bad area for this type of development with the soon to be widened and connected Rupple to MLK etc.  This seems to fit in with the Wedington Corridor plan and will eventually make the Wedington/Rupple intersection huge.  Other plans nearby include an expansion of The Links and more row houses just west of the Links on the opposite side of Rupple if I remember correctly.  

Park West looks like is getting a second chance but in a different form (I don't really know if it will keep the name as I just skimmed through).  I personally liked the old plans for the development just west of the Drive In theater on Hwy 112.  Mixed use with many different kinds of houses in a great location.  Plans show a couple of different areas that will eventually be developed.  One is the far NW corned near the intersection of Hwy 112 and Deane Solomon.  Rezoning over 33 acres to RSF-8 units per acre.   Directly across from the Drive In theater they are wanting to rezone 60 acres to Community Service and just north of that is where another large church is under construction currently.  The southwest corner (close to Sams) has been recently rezoned to RMF-12 units per acre.  I believe that is supposed to be a retirement condo style project similar to the one on Deane Solomon near the Razorback golf course. 

Hopefully I didn't get too much of this info wrong.  I guess we will see what happens over the next year or so.  

• Like 1

Larger scale projects seem to be gaining ground in Fayetteville once again. With all of the huge student housing projects either finished or at least started and the mega churches plans it looks like new mixed used neighborhoods will be popping up once again.

Westside Village which will be located just north of the Boys and Girls Club along Rupple Road will have close to 75,000 sq feet of commercial space and over 350 dwellings. This is all setting on a walkable 20+ acres with a nearby trail connection. From the plans it looks like townhouses, live/work units, flats, and mixed use commercial. Not a bad area for this type of development with the soon to be widened and connected Rupple to MLK etc. This seems to fit in with the Wedington Corridor plan and will eventually make the Wedington/Rupple intersection huge. Other plans nearby include an expansion of The Links and more row houses just west of the Links on the opposite side of Rupple if I remember correctly.

Park West looks like is getting a second chance but in a different form (I don't really know if it will keep the name as I just skimmed through). I personally liked the old plans for the development just west of the Drive In theater on Hwy 112. Mixed use with many different kinds of houses in a great location. Plans show a couple of different areas that will eventually be developed. One is the far NW corned near the intersection of Hwy 112 and Deane Solomon. Rezoning over 33 acres to RSF-8 units per acre. Directly across from the Drive In theater they are wanting to rezone 60 acres to Community Service and just north of that is where another large church is under construction currently. The southwest corner (close to Sams) has been recently rezoned to RMF-12 units per acre. I believe that is supposed to be a retirement condo style project similar to the one on Deane Solomon near the Razorback golf course.

Hopefully I didn't get too much of this info wrong. I guess we will see what happens over the next year or so.

If I was the owner of the drive in and had the land surrounding it(the area for the long gone second screen) I'd go for a commercial waterpark being how both are seasonal. I'D even arrange the wave pool so as project films on a full sized screen at the end of it. Tie both in with retro theming and you have interstate frontage on the backside. Edited by TRB
  • Like 1

Larger scale projects seem to be gaining ground in Fayetteville once again.  With all of the huge student housing projects either finished or at least started and the mega churches plans it looks like new mixed used neighborhoods will be popping up once again.  

Westside Village which will be located just north of the Boys and Girls Club along Rupple Road will have close to 75,000 sq feet of commercial space and over 350 dwellings. This is all setting on a walkable 20+ acres with a nearby trail connection.  From the plans it looks like townhouses, live/work units, flats, and mixed use commercial.  Not a bad area for this type of development with the soon to be widened and connected Rupple to MLK etc.  This seems to fit in with the Wedington Corridor plan and will eventually make the Wedington/Rupple intersection huge.  Other plans nearby include an expansion of The Links and more row houses just west of the Links on the opposite side of Rupple if I remember correctly.  

Park West looks like is getting a second chance but in a different form (I don't really know if it will keep the name as I just skimmed through).  I personally liked the old plans for the development just west of the Drive In theater on Hwy 112.  Mixed use with many different kinds of houses in a great location.  Plans show a couple of different areas that will eventually be developed.  One is the far NW corned near the intersection of Hwy 112 and Deane Solomon.  Rezoning over 33 acres to RSF-8 units per acre.   Directly across from the Drive In theater they are wanting to rezone 60 acres to Community Service and just north of that is where another large church is under construction currently.  The southwest corner (close to Sams) has been recently rezoned to RMF-12 units per acre.  I believe that is supposed to be a retirement condo style project similar to the one on Deane Solomon near the Razorback golf course. 

Hopefully I didn't get too much of this info wrong.  I guess we will see what happens over the next year or so.  

I remember the Westside Village PZD.  Is that a go again?  If so, that would be huge for west Fayetteville.  Virtually everything built out there is in the same sprawl-pattern.  It would be nice for residents out there to have more of a "town center" to congregate to.

SRG has a new mixed-use uptown across Steele from the Razorback Malco Theater.  It will actually have around 30,000SF of retail use along with 300 residential units.

I remember the Westside Village PZD.  Is that a go again?  If so, that would be huge for west Fayetteville.  Virtually everything built out there is in the same sprawl-pattern.  It would be nice for residents out there to have more of a "town center" to congregate to.

SRG has a new mixed-use uptown across Steele from the Razorback Malco Theater.  It will actually have around 30,000SF of retail use along with 300 residential units.

Yes according to the City Council agenda, Westside Village is coming through again so we will see what happens there.

Went to NWA Mall for some Pink thing with food. Noticed several store closings. Wet Seal, Eddie Bauer, and Body Central have bit the dust. Wonder if the Pinnacle location of Eddie Bauer bit it too. They closed some in the Memphis area as well.

Went to NWA Mall for some Pink thing with food. Noticed several store closings. Wet Seal, Eddie Bauer, and Body Central have bit the dust. Wonder if the Pinnacle location of Eddie Bauer bit it too. They closed some in the Memphis area as well.

Can't speak for the other stores, but as a former Eddie Bauer shopper, I can say my perception of their quality of merchandise really dropped off over the last decade, while their competitor brands improved or maintained. I think there are big problems with EB. 

Saw on tv a few days ago that washington regional is planning a $60 million expsnsion. Have been waiting on the flyer or city wire to give more info but nothing yet. Parking garage and new building it sounds like.

It is the new 100,000 sf Women's Clinic addition. I believe it has been brought up in discussions here.

• Like 1