Little Rock Projects List

Slowly but surely building upward. Well actually not really that slowly. It's moving faster than a lot of developments in my area.

The building will not go any higher. The cube on the top left of the building is part of the top floor below it. Sort of like a highrise den.

• 3 weeks later...

The Enclave in NRL has received its building permit for $12 million + . When finished this should be home to more residents than any other project in the downtown LR/NLR area. It will have 260 units.

dscf23735bc.jpg

The Junction Bridge project is on the southside of the Enclave, which will offer direct access to the River Market. Alltel Arena is across the street on the north and the River Rail Alltel stop is less than two blocks to the west. Within walking distance is Main Streeet( downtown NLR) and next year the new ballpark.

The Enclave in NRL has received its building permit for $12 million + . When finished this should be home to more residents than any other project in the downtown LR/NLR area. It will have 260 units.

The Junction Bridge project is on the southside of the Enclave, which will offer direct access to the River Market. Alltel Arena is across the street on the north and the River Rail Alltel stop is less than two blocks to the west. Within walking distance is Main Streeet( downtown NLR) and next year the new ballpark.

I really like the scope and design of this project. It's the first real "urban" apartment project downtown since the Block 2 Lofts and it's the first that incorporates the classic inner city mix of ground-level retail with residences above them in a single building that composes a block, something that's common in places like D.C. and we've been seeing a lot lately in uptown Dallas. More important, this is the first project since Block 2 that genuinely caters to young professionals looking for upscale downtown housing. I think the fact that you can't walk to the River Market easily hurts it a bit but the fact that it's going to be classy and new construction will work in its favor. I bet this project does very well and fuels a couple of similar ones, hopefully including one across the River.

There's talk for now two new Wal-Marts in Little Rock. It's about time that more started coming in the area, I only know of a few supercenters in the city.

Wal-Mart, Home Depot Eye Maumelle Boulevard

By Arkansas Business staff

Arkansas Business - 4/3/06

Call us a broken record, but those rumblings about Wal-Mart in central Arkansas just won

It's kind of amazing that WalMart didnt have a larger presence in the Little Rock area already. It seems like being relatively close to NWA they would have more WM's and less Targets.

Part of it is WM's historic aloofness about going into cities. They tend to build on the fringes and rarely build where land is higher but there is greater accessibility in established mid-sized or major cities. I lived in KC for a while and it took forever to get to a WM there.

As mcheiss said, Kroger dominates the Little Rock metro grocery business, at least in the urban areas, and local chain Harvest Foods is common as well. WM is outpricing them and making a big entrance into the grocery market, though, since opening their new West LR and NLR stores. WM also has taken a decidedly more upscale approach with these than its usual stores, the new West LR is really first class and has better variety and more quality brands than it usual offerings.

I expect Target to enter the LR grocery business soon and this will be major competition for WM and Kroger as they really have excellent offerings and are more upscale. They're dying to put a Super Target in Central LR and wanted to carve out a piece of War Memorial Park but were rebuffed. They also are coveting the University Mall land and will want to be part of whatever development replaces it.

• 3 weeks later...

The River Market disrtict may be seeing a new hotel. Moses Tucker along with McKibbon Hotel Management of Tampa, FL are looking at the corner of 4th and Commerce just south of the Tuf-Nut building. McKibbon is the company that put the Courtyard in the First Security Building. It will be a Hilton Garden Inn.

The River Market disrtict may be seeing a new hotel. Moses Tucker along with McKibbon Hotel Management of Tampa, FL are looking at the corner of 4th and Commerce just south of the Tuf-Nut building. McKibbon is the company that put the Courtyard in the First Security Building. It will be a Hilton Garden Inn.

Is there a building in place that will be renovated, or will it be a new structure? If new, any idea what it will be like?

Is there a building in place that will be renovated, or will it be a new structure? If new, any idea what it will be like?

The area is now a parking lot. To the east is the Acxiom Building and to the south is the Arkla Building, which is also owned by Moses Tucker. I do not know what type of building will be built but the Courtyard is located on the first six floors of the First Security Center. The Courtyard has 120 rooms and I think this project will have at least that many. Garden Inns also include a Great American Grill restaurant. The Courtyard uses the River Market Parking Deck but this project would have to include it's own parking. Maybe it will be part of a mixed-use project.

Land has been cleared for a new police substation across from the Transit Center. This will cover parts of the River Market and Main Street.

Cool, I didn't know about that but it should really help with crime in the area. I always thought the police kiosk in the River Market was a good idea. I hope that the new substation helps keep MacArthur Park safe and that gentrification continues in that area as well, especially some kind of project at Fowler Square.

• 2 weeks later...

Construction has started on the Mosaic Templars Cultural Center at the corner of Broadway and 9th. The orginal building burned last year and it is being replaced by the Department of Arkansas Heritage. It will be a Museum about the develoment of Little Rock

The Arkansas Times reports that Moses Tucker might be having trouble with a condo project, Summit Heights. There are some design problems according to some in the neighborhood. It will be located on N. Summit looking down on the Train Station and downtown LR.

The Arkansas Times reports that Moses Tucker might be having trouble with a condo project, Summit Heights. There are some design problems according to some in the neighborhood. It will be located on N. Summit looking down on the Train Station and downtown LR.

I've never heard of this project. Is this in "today's" AT edition?

The report is in the Insider section under " Clubbing on University". This is the first time I have heard of this project.

Boy, that was hush-hush.

I don't think the Capitol View neighborhood is right for a high-rise modern development. That area, I think, is already on the rise as prices in Hillcrest are getting prohibitively expensive and even Stifft Station has largely been redone.

The views would be gorgeous, though.

I'd love to see some residential development on East Markham near the train station and a revival of the train station itself. I wish the trolley extended all the way down that way. That area was once considered as a site for the Travs' new ballpark. They need to get rid of that old Salvation Army mission, though. The vagrants there are really keeping people from developing the area, at least IMO.

A new "hip hop" club in University Mall is a terrible idea. It's ghetto enough already. A couple of stabbings, shootings (or worse) there and it will affect Park Plaza and Midtown Center's traffic.

Edited by Aporkalypse