Plaza Tower

Florida

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update 2/10/2006

Today there seemed to be some noticable changes going on at the site. The hole seems less steep and crews were busy preping the entrance to the parkng garage area. The Brounough side entrance will re-open February 14th... what a way to show the love! :wub:

Now for your feature presentation:

SonyShots194.jpg

SonyShots198.jpg

SonyShots199.jpg

SonyShots202.jpg

SonyShots201.jpg

SonyShots200.jpg

SonyShots197.jpg

SonyShots196.jpg

SonyShots195.jpg

Plaza Tower Update: 2.17.06

SonyShots200a.jpg

Parking Area seems modified. The Orange area was not there prior to the beginning of the project. I believe the that will be the new exit from the main garage area and what we see now as the entrance and exit will become simply an entrance. Plaza Tower crews seem to have assumed posession of the previous entrance in the right of the image.

SonyShots202a.jpg

SonyShots203.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

hmm plazatower is slow. I wanna see it start going up... slow as hell

I do business at the Florida League of Cities building pretty regularly and have been watching the excavation and engineering of the site. While there have been some slower days, they have been working steadily to prepare the foundation. Once the deepest footings are in place, it should be up, up, up over the next few months. Anyone want to predict the date that the construction will be at plaza level? I'll be conservative and say August.

• 2 weeks later...

Good pictures.

If anyone is interested, I'll give a construction lesson. Keep reading.

The weight of this building will be supported by the auger cast piles in Picture #4 (P4). If you look closely, next to the fire extinguisher sign, you can see the auger sticking out of the ground. The red truss thing on the ground is how they drive the auger in the ground and, in turn, remove the earth. After the hole is dug, they fill the hole with concrete as the auger is extracted, (through the center of the auger.) Then the rebar cages (P5) are pushed into the wet concrete and then the pile cures.

This is pretty crude, un-precise method of getting a working surface on top of the foundation, so usually pile caps are added to the piles, P1, P2 & P3. Looks like the caps are on top of 9 piles - in P3 you can just make out the piles at the ground level.

The rebar sticking out of the pile caps indicate they will be using grade beams as the bearing surface for the structure. The grade beams will be formed like the pile caps in P1, but will run across the tops of several pile caps to evenly distribute the heavy building load to all the piles. I suspect the beams will run east-west which will allow for the new building to hug The Brogan. They cannot get to close to the foundation of the Brogan for fear of disturbing its foundation. After a second glance, you can see the grade beam under the Brogan - it is oriented north-south just above the earth, and the building start growing from there.

It will be interesting to see how they do the foundation work in the northwest corner, where their ramp is located.

A question for JBarber, PE -

Will the slab of the bottom-most level sit on top of the grade beams? If so, I presume they will backfill around the pile caps and the grade beams to pour an 8-12" slab on the bottom level? That will bring up the bottom level quite a bit if so.

A question for JBarber, PE -

Will the slab of the bottom-most level sit on top of the grade beams? If so, I presume they will backfill around the pile caps and the grade beams to pour an 8-12" slab on the bottom level? That will bring up the bottom level quite a bit if so.

I think they will backfill with earth to the top of the pile caps, maybe before they form and pour the grade beams. Before the bottom slab is poured, the base of the building will be installed, whether it is precast concrete walls (like the Brogan) and/or structural steel. The foundation (piles, caps, grade beams) is to hold up the entire building; the bottom slab will be for cars, equipment, basement stuff, etc - pretty insignificant loading compared to the whole building. Similar to your basement, the slab is poured just to give a clean, level, usable space - it is not a component in the structural integtriy of the bldg.

Archived