IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this site would be great for the hub of Providence's future light rail/transit development - across from the 2 tunnels to the east side and between KP and PROV station...

seriously though, I'm all for development (and the apartments - condos not so much - are needed) of this area, but a deal is a deal...

I'd like a city council that actually knew what it was doing and could demonstrate some follow through. FirstSource is run pretty much like "No Child Left Behind." Sounds nice, but it is basically an unfunded mandate. Like everything else in this city, it needs funding and staff to work properly.

Under the terms of the tax treaty, the developer is required to implement a construction apprenticeship program, and is not believed to have done so, said Council Majority Leader Terrence M. Hassett.

there's a couple things i find interesting. first is that he is using local labor, just not union labor. my rebuttal to the union's claim that this place pays substandard wages is that if the people really wanted better wages, they'd be working under the union.

second is that from the sounds of it, he's doing his best within his financial means to follow the rules, but the unions are just charging too much (no surprise there).

finally, if everything in this article is true, then those unions have some serious explaining to do. there's a reason no one should be required to use union labor...

The Council's not been ideal on this stuff, but enforcement is an _executive_ function. There have been many attempts to make the program more functional, from council members and community activists. But they're not the people in positions of authority. It does seem as though things are getting a bit better, and sometimes it takes strife to force improvements.

The property damage is really dumb. But please don't paint everybody who's been on the lines with a broad brush. A lot of those who've been picketing -- I'd say all of those whom I've spoken to, including those in the union leadership -- are quite upset at what's supposed to have happened.

I love these stories, which seem to be cropping up all too often, where there is no good guy.

Developer? - Made an agreement and is now doing only the barest minimum to be in compliance, to the point that it's unclear whether or not he is in compliance.

City? - Sets up unclear deals, doesn't follow through, allows picketing union dudes to overwhelm the place and cause property damage.

Union? - Oversteps its boundaries, interprets the law solely for its own benefit, and furthermore illustrates the stranglehold that various unions have on this state and its cities and towns.

Certain unions, I feel, are terrorist organizations.. If this was 1907, fine.. Unions were needed back then to ensure fair conditions.. But it isn't, and I feel unions just use collective muscle to get more than they deserve.. Now, I've only worked private sector and non-union.. So all my experience is mostly 2nd hand.. I don't even consider the union a necessary evil any more.. It is a defunct function of past labor strife..

You don't need a union in a litigous society where an individual can sue a corporation (McDonalds) for getting burnt by hot coffee.. The individual worker has the avenues in place to sue if unjustly treated.. never mind that unions breed complacency and are anti productive..

i really think we need to know the exact details of the city tax break agreement before taking any sides on this issue. were they required to contract "local" or "union local" or what? i find it a little unclear as to what the exact deal was.

i agree that keeping labor and $$ local is important (RI needs all the help it can get with this), particularly if this was a part of a tax deal given to the developer. Woburn may be only 45 mins away but the $$ does go into another state's coffers if indeed they were taking advantage of tax breaks paid by RI'ers. However, its not clear yet what the deal was exactly and it sounds like the city is now studying that.

but this stuff about smashing windshields and throwing equipment into the canal makes both the business climate and the union representation in RI sound completely antiquated... sounds like something from 100 yrs ago..

i really think we need to know the exact details of the city tax break agreement before taking any sides on this issue. were they required to contract "local" or "union local" or what? i find it a little unclear as to what the exact deal was.

i agree that keeping labor and $$ local is important (RI needs all the help it can get with this), particularly if this was a part of a tax deal given to the developer. Woburn may be only 45 mins away but the $$ does go into another state's coffers if indeed they were taking advantage of tax breaks paid by RI'ers. However, its not clear yet what the deal was exactly and it sounds like the city is now studying that.

but this stuff about smashing windshields and throwing equipment into the canal makes both the business climate and the union representation in RI sound completely antiquated... sounds like something from 100 yrs ago..

• 2 weeks later...

I lost any respect for the Projo Editorial Board several yrs ago when they accused France of hiding ties with Saddam Hussein (the whole Freedom Fry craze) and when they endorsed George Bush for President in 2004...but for what its worth they do like to desparately try to straddle the middle as best they can at times:

http://www.projo.com/opinion/editorials/co...0U.1cb5f09.html

• 4 weeks later...

Archived