IN PROGRESS: Capitol Cove

• Replies 771
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the August 15th edition of New England Contruction News, Capitol Cove was still listed as accepting bids for this project, which was valued at $ 15,000,000. I believe this amount only accounts for the cost of phase 1 of the project, since the total cost is $ 35mil. I thought this was kind of late in the process to be still taking bids, but perhaps the developer, Dr. Robert Roth, is still trying to trim costs. The listing asks bids to be submitted ASAP.

In the August 15th edition of New England Contruction News, Capitol Cove was still listed as accepting bids for this project, which was valued at $ 15,000,000. I believe this amount only accounts for the cost of phase 1 of the project, since the total cost is $ 35mil. I thought this was kind of late in the process to be still taking bids, but perhaps the developer, Dr. Robert Roth, is still trying to trim costs. The listing asks bids to be submitted ASAP.

I was thinking of a transit lane. Canal does not need its current 3 lanes, even during the rush. North Main has two, and it jams but it moves relatively quickly. Hardly anyone is ever in the left lane as it is devoted to going straight to Washington Place, which most traffic doesn't want to do. Feeding less lanes into the Canal/Steeple intersection may alleviate the clusterf**k that occurs on the Steeple Street Bridge every afternoon.

No non-interstate road in the city should be more than 2 lanes in one direction, and few roads that are not one way should have more than 2 lanes in one direction.

And while we're on the topic of unnecessary 3-lane, oneway roads we also need to include the service roads for 95 between downtown and the west side. As if we needed to widen that no-man's land any further . . .

You don't know the meaning of clusterf**k if you never had to go through "Suicide Circle" before the rivers were moved.

I remember riding through here as a kid in the 70's, with my parents white knuckled all the way around it !! They dreaded it.

Makes the current configuration seem like a drive in the park!! Of course, that's not to say it can't use a bit of tweaking :)

I've been skeptical of this project ever since I heard it might happen and I was very happy to see today that "something" has actually been done on the worksite. Don't be fooled by the sandbags and dirt piles, those aren't really part of the project (unless of course the developer has reverted to the building techniques of the Sumarians) What I'm excited about is shown in more detail in the second picture I've attached below. It actually looks like a foundation!!

DSCN2902.jpg

DSCN2903.jpg

If you're going to eat at the public trough, then you've got to finish the meal. Seems like a real bone-headed move on the part of the developer that could jeopardize his project.

I rarely side with unions, but in light of the tax breaks that this developer is receiving, the City is absolutely correct in demanding that he fully comply with the terms of their agreement. Not much wiggle room here, I'm afraid.

Archived