New City/County Government Center

westsider28

I mean, do they though?  Here's one in Charlotte that isn't.  https://goo.gl/maps/NnvYkd2dXAmJ51Jf7

And another: https://goo.gl/maps/NUeq9UbAiLBnEbxw5

I realize there's nothing that can be done about this one, but there is absolutely no reason they couldn't have build this thing to better adhere to good urban design principles. Being outside of the Downtown Code area is not a good reason. Build it up to the street. Put the parking lot around to the side. Have an entrance at the corner and a little "pizzaz" architecture to make it interesting. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I mean, do they though?  Here's one in Charlotte that isn't.  https://goo.gl/maps/NnvYkd2dXAmJ51Jf7

And another: https://goo.gl/maps/NUeq9UbAiLBnEbxw5

I realize there's nothing that can be done about this one, but there is absolutely no reason they couldn't have build this thing to better adhere to good urban design principles. Being outside of the Downtown Code area is not a good reason. Build it up to the street. Put the parking lot around to the side. Have an entrance at the corner and a little "pizzaz" architecture to make it interesting. 

Yeah, it bothers me that the City--though talking the talk--isn't walking the walk when it comes to good, walkable urban design here.  They should be setting an example for private developers, not trying to skimp out and avoid the "burden".  It's a bad look for the City and the principles they claim to espouse, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2022 at 7:32 PM, Spartan said:

I think for me its more nuanced. City Hall is actually a really great example of that style of architecture, as is the current County Courthouse.  I think the nature of "futuristic" "bold" and "progressive" have changed over the years. When that building was built,  most of the city had and what we would consider now to be an older style of architecture, so the inherent contrast was in part what made it stand out and be a forward looking style. Now, after decades of purely suburban growth we have a built city that largely lacks any distinctive character outside of downtown and a few neighborhoods, and that is largely because of the disposable architecture that was implemented in the 70s-90s and arguably through today, too. What made modernism stand out was contrast. What we need is fabric. City Hall could still be a statement piece if they wanted to be, and I hope that it is. But it doesn't have to look like the Jetsons to be significant to our city, and it doesn't have to be retro to be "good architecture."

That said, our former president decreed that public buildings should be built in that neoclassical style, so it seems probable that we could get a modern interpretation of that even though it doesn't apply to local government.

The problem with the current building - as with most buildings of that era - is that they didn't age well. The architects chose form over function and it created a lot of spaces that are not comfortable to occupy as a human. Older buildings, as with newer ones, recognize the importance of connection to daylight and nature, and allow for flexibility due to current construction methods.

Learned today that David M Schwarz, the architect for the Chapman Cultural Center and AC Hotel will be the lead exterior architect for the new city-county building.   McMillan Pazdan Smith will be the lead "boots on the ground" and interior architect.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roads-scholar said:

Learned today that David M Schwarz, the architect for the Chapman Cultural Center and AC Hotel will be the lead exterior architect for the new city-county building.   McMillan Pazdan Smith will be the lead "boots on the ground" and interior architect.  

Well, that definitely means it will be traditional.  But I like David M Schwarz's work.  He's done a few great neo-Art Deco buildings, so I'm still holding out hope for something like that.

Here are some examples I like: Las Vegas Smith Center for the Performing Arts and The Westbrook Fort Worth

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In the leasing brochure for the Liberty office building, it mentions several downtown developments, including the City/County complex.  It says about the project: "Directly adjacent to the complex will be a mixed-use development as part of a public private partnership which will include residential, commercial retail and office space."  I've heard rumors for a while about that being the case, but this is the first I've seen it written down.  So much happening in the background with potential downtown development.  I'm getting very impatient and hope some of it gets revealed soon!

Edited by westsider28

3 hours ago, BorninSparkleCity said:

Please give a reference for PROJECT CORE so that I may read more about it. Thanks.

It has been discussed at least 3 times in Executive Session at City Council meetings (April 2022 and both Jan 2023 meetings), but nothing has been made public yet, other than it's "a Potential Mixed-Use Development in the Downtown Area".  No exact location, no project details.

Edit: link to 1/23 CC agenda

Edited by westsider28
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Herald-Journal has an article with updates on City/County facilities.  The Police HQ is scheduled to be complete in mid-November.  The nearby new Central Fire Station (450 Wofford St.) is currently undergoing renovations and should be complete in the fall.

The City/County Admin Building is still in the design phase, but first renderings should be ready by late-summer.  City Hall will be vacated by the end of the year, with most departments using temporary space (Police and Fire will have their new buildings).  Then City Hall will be demolished early next year to clear the site for the new City/County facility.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/9/2023 at 1:24 AM, gman430 said:

Developer has been selected. Five stories tall with a parking garage. Retail and housing along the entire block will be included as part of the redevelopment. 2025 opening to coincide with new baseball stadium. 

More on this: 

https://www.postandcourier.com/spartanburg/news/new-joint-city-county-municipal-building-site-in-spartanburg-will-include-mixed-use-development/article_dad05936-37a2-11ee-bb32-7b96df0af167.html#tncms-source=latest_posts

City and county leaders selected the site bordered by Broad, Church, Kennedy and Spring streets in April 2022 for the new complex. More than a year later, City Communications and Marketing Manager Christopher George said the new complex’s preliminary design is almost complete.

“I know it’s going to be done in the coming weeks,” George said. “This month or next month I would expect something to come together on the development agreement. It will be some housing and some retail.”

The city is considering places in downtown Spartanburg to move administrative personnel so the existing building can be demolished. 

The new complex will include a 180,000-square-foot building up to six stories tall with a parking garage accommodating 500 to 600 spaces. The new complex is scheduled to be completed by 2025. 

The city and county are also working to finalize an agreement to have residential and commercial use developed at the site.

“I think it’s going to be a mixed-use development at central point downtown. The joint city-county complex will take up a small part of the overall space. There will be commercial and mixed-use and a parking deck,” Spartanburg County Councilman David Britt said.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There's currently a County RFP out for demolition of the current City Hall.  Bids are due by September 26; environmental remediation would commence no earlier than January 1, 2024; and demolition services are to be completed by May 1, 2024.  The bid includes two parcels which bisect City Hall (see below), with demolition at the south parcel including the building, however, the asphalt parking lot will remain.  The bid says, "The site will be redeveloped for multifamily housing, parking (structured deck and surface) and office for the future County / City Administration Center." (emphasis mine)  Interesting that surface parking will be included.  Hopefully it's small and/or a placeholder for future development.

cityhall.jpg.7239b18e86d42124c82102899b0dc180.jpg