New City/County Government Center

westsider28

20 hours ago, hub-city said:

Do you think this means they’ve given up on acquiring Blue Moon & Nautilus?

Not necessarily.  It could just come down to the timing/phasing (i.e. City Hall needs to be demolished first).  Like the Courthouse, I suspect the first phase of building will be the parking deck.

Found a good WSPA story about the timing of various departments moving.  Police will move to their new HQ by the end of October.  Fire Dept will move to their new building in early 2024. In the fall, municipal court will be in the new Courthouse.  Remaining City offices and services will move to temporary facilities in the former Magnolia Financial building (187 West Broad), likely during the holidays.  I always thought that building would be a great temporary City Hall during this process.

No, I don't think they're giving up on the lots fronting on Church Street.  I agree that we will see this in phases - I think the administrative offices for the city will very likely be in the 187 building for 2-3 years.  I am speculating here, but I think they can build the mixed-use development on the Spring Street side once the land is cleared, and perhaps Nautilus and/or Blue Moon might move into spaces in that development before their spaces are demolished and the city-county building goes up on the Church Street side.  The other thing is, perhaps for a few months they can continue to allow public use of the parking lot until they get closer to building a new parking deck.  

• 4 weeks later...

At the City Council meeting tonight, they will vote on a resolution to acquire a very small parcel on West Kennedy Street on the City Hall block.  This says to me that the intent is to acquire the whole block, because there's no reason to acquire a parcel this small otherwise. (City also owns 146, 150, and 174 below, for context)

70850374_chparcel.jpg.1ec4ad3099d4d0ad4a024b18f2a7b8b4.jpg

• 1 month later...

According to this H-J article, municipal court and city staff offices plan to move to their temporary home in 187 W. Broad St. from Jan. 8 to Jan. 22.  The plan is for City Council meetings to be held in the County Council's chambers (366 N. Church St.) starting in January.   The new city-county governmental complex is expected to be completed in 2025.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

H-J article about the final City Council meeting in the current City Hall, and a bit of history (more history in this new City podcast).  It finally mentions a date for the Fire Dept. to move: "The central fire station response base will move to the new station at 450 Wofford St. in the last week of February."  

"In the next few weeks, construction fencing will go up around City Hall, excluding the fire department and large parking lot to the left of the building.  Hazardous materials used in the construction of the current City Hall must be removed before demolition begins this spring."

Edited by westsider28
podcast is now linked
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You may have seen on the City's social media accounts (IG link) that they found a column capital from the 1914 City Hall under the parking lot while surveying!  The City says they plan to work with local history organizations to preserve and display it.  Such a cool piece of history to discover!

1231604166_1914CHcapital.jpg.2a141a122317d1847b4016e30bb664fe.jpg

1666877279_1914CityHall.thumb.jpg.5ff6094665bdad2a8f485772985508a5.jpg

• Like 2

A few more details in this P&C article.  Asbestos abatement in the former City Hall will begin this month, with demolition to follow this "spring".  A time capsule from 1961 located in a granite stone on the building’s northeast corner will be opened ahead of the demolition. The new city-county municipal building’s proposed design will likely be presented to City Council sometime in March.  The first step after the demo is to build a new parking deck centered in the middle of the block that will have new development all around it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...