What’s next For Commercial Appeal building??

Memphisborn

2 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I have doubts about SW TN CC taking over the space.  They were supposed to take over the Office Depot on Union across from the park, for a welcome center/store/front door to campus.  That fell through because of decreased enrollment and funds.  

Yes I saw the Vic is being built in that place. However they are a state funded institution my understanding is they were awarded 2.5 million in federal Covid dollars so they can move forward with there 2025 strategic growth plans. There may also be some city funds available to the thru DMC, so let’s see if they can get this done. Would make a lot of sense for the CA building to become a part of there campus it’s so close in proximity. Here’s a link

https://www.southwest.tn.edu/stories/news/2022/aug11.php

Edited by Memphisborn

• 1 month later...

Since we're getting a stadium at the fairgrounds for the soccer club.

No signs for a NFL team yet to save the land for a stadium. 

I wouldn't  mind repurposing the building for entertainment mixed-use. We haven't had something like these options downtown since Jillians at Peabody place. It would be a hit whatever it could be in relation. I believe the closet thing downtown in relation is the bowling alley at the Pyramid, Axe Throwing, and escape rooms.  

I've been to both Puttshack and Andretti in Atlanta before. Had good times at both. Puttshack have been growing. They have future openings nearby  in Nashville & St Louis. Even Louisville have a future date on their site. I believe either would do well downtown near The Walk and The Ravine coming along 

My personal video

024-1828OakbrookCenter-OakBrook-IL-60523-SMALL-scaled.jpg

Puttshack-Atlanta-Bar-Photo-courtesy-of-Puttshack-scaled.jpg

Puttshack_1.jpg

puttshack-usa.jpg

08205bbd-cea1-4151-b2ff-2d4a6c973931_1140x641.jpeg

360K-AIKG-Katy-6-1024x683.jpg

andretti-indoor-karting-games-e1629826367629.jpg

ARL_ComingSoon_1.0.jpg

sddefault.jpg

o.jpg

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheKernel91 said:

I wouldn't  mind repurposing the building for entertainment mixed-use. We haven't had something like these options downtown since Jillians at Peabody place. It would be a hit whatever it could be in relation. I believe the closet thing downtown in relation is the bowling alley at the Pyramid, Axe Throwing, and escape rooms.  

I've been to both Puttshack and Andretti in Atlanta before. Had good times at both. Puttshack have been growing. They have future openings nearby  in Nashville & St Louis. Even Louisville have a future date on their site. I believe either would do well downtown near The Walk and The Ravine coming along 

My personal video

Puttshack_1.jpg

puttshack-usa.jpg

ARL_ComingSoon_1.0.jpg

sddefault.jpg

o.jpg

Would like entertainment as a part like putt shack along with a food Hall and whiskey distillery 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Would like entertainment as a part like putt shack along with a food Hall and whiskey distillery 

There is so much that can be done with this property and I hate Gannett sold it to an outsider. I honestly believe this would be a good location for the soccer stadium, because according to the city's RFI, the stadium footprint of the Coliseum is 5-6 acres. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, JTM1 said:

There is so much that can be done with this property and I hate Gannett sold it to an outsider. I honestly believe this would be a good location for the soccer stadium, because according to the city's RFI, the stadium footprint of the Coliseum is 5-6 acres. 

Yes I completely agree and it’s adjacent to ravine, high cotton, Memphis made and the walk if ever built. Also the bakery and rise on ravine, the Vic, Orleans station. It’s a no brainer. Issue is the 20 million to control the 13 acre site 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes I completely agree and it’s adjacent to ravine, high cotton, Memphis made and the walk if ever built. Also the bakery and rise on ravine, the Vic, Orleans station. It’s a no brainer. Issue is the 20 million to control the 13 acre site 

Oh! I wasn't aware of that price.  It is a good location and the city need to use its weight to pressure the owner. Hell, bring in the owner on the development of the property, along with the stadium. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

My personal video

Puttshack_1.jpg

puttshack-usa.jpg

ARL_ComingSoon_1.0.jpg

sddefault.jpg

o.jpg

Great idea, good location. I can see this being a draw before and after univ. of Memphis games, plus the youth sports facility and now the showboats. Just don’t want a repeat of the demise of Jillian’s and PP with the bad crowds that brought it down. I definitely wouldn’t want this downtown. You know us Memphians like to get wild sometimes. LOL. Let’s hold out for the NFL first. 😁

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Great idea, good location. I can see this being a draw before and after univ. of Memphis games, plus the youth sports facility and now the showboats. Just don’t want a repeat of the demise of Jillian’s and PP with the bad crowds that brought it down. I definitely wouldn’t want this downtown. You know us Memphians like to get wild sometimes. LOL. Let’s hold out for the NFL first. 😁

From what I seen, the Fairgrounds development is already getting something like that, it'll be nice for the Tiger games and other sports. It's called High5. It's like Main Event. It has bowling, pool, games, laser Tag, etc. So they are covered.

Even though FedEx forum is on Beale St. people can have fun. We just need that kind of entertainment downtown that Jillians use to bring. The commercial appeal building or land (if torn down) could bring something mixed-use with that option. I wouldn't be shocked if The Walk may have contingent contracts for something like that in their developments, its a opportunity that im shocked haven't been done yet. If we had the space TopGolf would have been downtown instead.

632a24c713f94.image.jpg

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Those 13 acres, which consists of the office building, the printing warehouse, the parking lot across the street in the rear, and the adjacent lot, was sold for $3.8 million in 2018.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Those 13 acres, which consists of the office building, the printing warehouse, the parking lot across the street in the rear, and the adjacent lot, was sold for $3.8 million in 2018.  

Ethan knight DSG vp stated it was 20 million asking price 

Just now, Memphisborn said:

Ethan knight DSG vp stated it was 20 million asking price 

3 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

From what I seen, the Fairgrounds development is already getting something like that, it'll be nice for the Tiger games and other sports. It's called High5. It's like Main Event. It has bowling, pool, games, laser Tag, etc. So they are covered.

Even though FedEx forum is on Beale St. people can have fun. We just need that kind of entertainment downtown that Jillians use to bring. The commercial appeal building or land (if torn down) could bring something mixed-use with that option. I wouldn't be shocked if The Walk may have contingent contracts for something like that in their developments, its a opportunity that im shocked haven't been done yet. If we had the space TopGolf would have been downtown instead.

632a24c713f94.image.jpg

Thanks. I just read the article in the MBJ about this venture. I hope it works out. It can also pull the CBU college students across the street. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I wasn't disagreeing with what the current asking price is, just comparing to what it sold for less than 5 years ago, and how much it has increased.  

Honestly with current boon of housing becoming available in the edge Orleans Station, Vic ( hopefully) bakery, Rise on the ravine. New housing @ old flower building saw it demoed other day btw. That area needs more retail/ dining/ entertainment options. Would love to see CA site become Food Hall, home to Indie Memphis theater, distillery ( big river) and arcade/ pool sports bar. The lawn space could be used as well as a gathering place for Grizzlies playoff games, Tigers football games and theater night gatherings. Just a thought. It is a missing link in the development of the edge district. Hopefully this is the year we see some movement on redeveloping it. 

19 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Thanks. I just read the article in the MBJ about this venture. I hope it works out. It can also pull the CBU college students across the street. 

High Five will be a great addition let’s just hope it doesn’t dissolve 

• 5 months later...
On 2/14/2023 at 1:12 PM, TheKernel91 said:

632a24c713f94.image.jpg

The CA site is prime land for entertainment. Sundance Film festival has used Crosstown theater in past. I would love to see Sundance festival move the HQ here and CA building could house them.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/sundance-film-festival-leaving-park-city-labs-1235433473/amp/

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

The CA site is prime land for entertainment. Sundance Film festival has used Crosstown theater in past. I would love to see Sundance festival move the HQ here and CA building could house them.

https://deadline.com/2023/07/sundance-film-festival-leaving-park-city-labs-1235433473/amp/

This is also a great concept. The armory in St. Louis could be a blueprint for CA warehouse.  

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, Memphisborn said:

This is also a great concept. The armory in St. Louis could be a blueprint for CA warehouse.  

Exactly! Downtown need something like this. I really wish we had push for more entertainment in this direction. I wouldn't mind the CA building staying to have something in mind like this built. I can see a mixed-use feature that'll include that. Something like Crosstown but more live and entertainment. I would love to see PuttShack come there. Or something like this spot in this video in Houston. 

Keep in mind, across the street the Ravine and Ravine apartments are planned and will be a good compliment to something potential like this. Also The Walk. 

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/7/2023 at 8:24 PM, TheKernel91 said:

Exactly! Downtown need something like this. I really wish we had push for more entertainment in this direction. I wouldn't mind the CA building staying to have something in mind like this built. I can see a mixed-use feature that'll include that. Something like Crosstown but more live and entertainment. I would love to see PuttShack come there. Or something like this spot in this video in Houston. 

Keep in mind, across the street the Ravine and Ravine apartments are planned and will be a good compliment to something potential like this. Also The Walk. 

Interesting read in today CA about CA building 

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2023/09/05/dream-hotel-in-memphis-former-commercial-appeal-building-development/70727228007/

• 1 month later...

Looks like Shelby County may be interested in the building...if it's still available:

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2023/10/09/commercial-appeal-building-memphis-union-avenue-shelby-county/71118150007/

Shelby County officials would like to see the former Commercial Appeal building become the new home for a plethora of civic services.

But that would depend on several factors including if the site is still available.

On Monday, a group of Shelby County officials met at the 495 Union Ave. site before departing to Nashville to tour the Davidson County Residential Drug Court and Davidson County Behavioral Care Center.

Shelby County Commissioner Erika Sugarmon confirmed the county is looking at the 6.48-acre property as a potential home for a multitude of programs similar to the Davidson County facilities, which include a mental health court and TBI crime lab satellite office, along with offices for state probation officers, attorney generals, public defenders and several rehabilitation programs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VSRJ said:

It's good to know this property is under contract and Shelby County can take their idea to another location. I like what they want to do, but this property has the potential to generate a lot of tax dollars for the city.  I would love to know who is buying it, because I heard Paul Young mention it a couple of times when he was campaigning. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, JTM1 said:

It's good to know this property is under contract and Shelby County can take their idea to another location. I like what they want to do, but this property has the potential to generate a lot of tax dollars for the city.  I would love to know who is buying it, because I heard Paul Young mention it a couple of times when he was campaigning. 

I saw another article that said part of the property was under contract.  Don't know if its the offices or the warehouse portion or both.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 8:09 PM, JTM1 said:

Agreed! The CA building should be a mixed use entertainment site that generates huge tax revenue for city 

On 10/10/2023 at 12:05 PM, MDC26 said:

I saw another article that said part of the property was under contract.  Don't know if its the offices or the warehouse portion or both.

I read that too. I was hoping that one party would buy the entire property, because separating the property might be good for the seller, but not for development. I wish the city had bought it and issued an RFP.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

Mixed use is the best use for that property and it should include some form of lodging in the development. 

Would love to see it as a mixed use - Distllery/ foodhall/ entertainment/ I can see some lodging. Let’s see who has a contract on it. Shelby county should look @ other vacant properties. There are more in the downtown core 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Would love to see it as a mixed use - Distllery/ foodhall/ entertainment/ I can see some lodging. Let’s see who has a contract on it. Shelby county should look @ other vacant properties. There are more in the downtown core 

I went to comedy show this past weekend in Southhaven and I saw more TN tags than MS tags walking into the Landers Center.  The people that invited me to this show told me Memphis need more event space that will seat 5000-7000, because a lot more events would come to Memphis if the city had the available space. This couple specifically mentioned downtown. It's my hope that whoever buys the CA property whether its one or two developers, I hope they will see the need and be willing to invest in making this property a mixed use that could also serve as a smaller event venue. 

• Like 1