What’s next For Commercial Appeal building??

Memphisborn

13 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I went to comedy show this past weekend in Southhaven and I saw more TN tags than MS tags walking into the Landers Center.  The people that invited me to this show told me Memphis need more event space that will seat 5000-7000, because a lot more events would come to Memphis if the city had the available space. This couple specifically mentioned downtown. It's my hope that whoever buys the CA property whether its one or two developers, I hope they will see the need and be willing to invest in making this property a mixed use that could also serve as a smaller event venue. 

5,000-7,000 would be perfect size for the MSC.  I think its renovation plans to update to ADA compliance has it at 4,999 fixed seating and could easily have 2000 or more temporary/floor seating.  Just need someone to pay for the renovation.  

• Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 10:39 AM, MDC26 said:

5,000-7,000 would be perfect size for the MSC.  I think its renovation plans to update to ADA compliance has it at 4,999 fixed seating and could easily have 2000 or more temporary/floor seating.  Just need someone to pay for the renovation.  

We have a new mayor elect that supported a retrofit of MSC during the save MSC campaign. Let’s see if he still has the vision to reopen it?? 

• 5 months later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/03/26/commercial-appeal-warehouse-bought-union-avenue.html

This has to be stopped. It makes absolutely no sense to use the warehouse as a storage facility. A citizen petition has to be started and presented to All parties Global storage, City Council. and county commissioners. As well as edge district board 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2024/03/26/commercial-appeal-warehouse-bought-union-avenue.html

This has to be stopped. It makes absolutely no sense to use the warehouse as a storage facility. A citizen petition has to be started and presented to All parties Global storage, City Council. and county commissioners. As well as edge district board 

I agree with you. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I agree with you. 

I'll partially disagree.  I agree that storage facility isn't the best use for the area.  However, its an empty warehouse with no other realistic prospects that has sat empty for many years.  It's not the nice pre-WWII warehouse that is brick and can be converted to residential.  There's not a lot it can be used for, and storage would be the easiest.  I definitely don't want it storage for a long-term use.  Tearing it down to build a storage facility, or building a storage facility on an empty lot would be a definite no to me, but they aren't really changing anything except the inside.  So, I'm ok with it, if it can change to something for a better use when someone is willing to do that.  

My original idea for the area was to keep the office portion, tear down the warehouse and build a Top Golf.  The next best use would be a soccer stadium.  Maybe the office portion could be incorporated into the stadium design.  

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 2:17 PM, MDC26 said:

I'll partially disagree.  I agree that storage facility isn't the best use for the area.  However, its an empty warehouse with no other realistic prospects that has sat empty for many years.  It's not the nice pre-WWII warehouse that is brick and can be converted to residential.  There's not a lot it can be used for, and storage would be the easiest.  I definitely don't want it storage for a long-term use.  Tearing it down to build a storage facility, or building a storage facility on an empty lot would be a definite no to me, but they aren't really changing anything except the inside.  So, I'm ok with it, if it can change to something for a better use when someone is willing to do that.  

My original idea for the area was to keep the office portion, tear down the warehouse and build a Top Golf.  The next best use would be a soccer stadium.  Maybe the office portion could be incorporated into the stadium design.  

I actually had a chance to look around the office building and the warehouse and converting the warehouse into a self storage would be a disservice to it and the surrounding area.  There is so much protentional in that property and with its location, it would be an ideal destination and anchor.

I wish the DMC and the MMDC take ownership of it and then issue a RFP, because it's has the potential to be another Crosstown Concourse, Pyramid, Metal Museum, type development. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JTM1 said:

I actually had a chance to look around the office building and the warehouse and converting the warehouse into a self storage would be a disservice to it and the surrounding area.  There is so much protentional in that property and with its location, it would be an ideal destination and anchor.

I wish the DMC and the MMDC take ownership of it and then issue a RFP, because it's has the potential to be another Crosstown Concourse, Pyramid, Metal Museum, type development. 

Totally agree! It has the potential to be an anchor development in the edge. Its highest and best use is certainly not storage. The warehouse has sooo many potential uses and the office building is also primed for a great use. Would much rather see Shelby county Government take it over rather than see it become self storage. 

On 3/28/2024 at 8:06 PM, JTM1 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I would totally like to see it as something better. I just don’t see a market for it as something else right now. Since you’ve gotten to tour it, what do you think it could be?

If someone was going to pour some money into something for transformation, I’d rather see the MSC be brought back to life.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 2:17 PM, MDC26 said:

The soccer stadium concept would have been the highest & best use however that’s not feasible for the 901 fc owners to take on. They would have to be a part of the sports package ask along with grizzlies needed funds. Turn the warehouse into a distillery  & tasting room for Big River. 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:47 PM, MDC26 said:

Don’t get me wrong, I would totally like to see it as something better. I just don’t see a market for it as something else right now. Since you’ve gotten to tour it, what do you think it could be?

If someone was going to pour some money into something for transformation, I’d rather see the MSC be brought back to life.

My brother-in-law worked with a crew that did some work there and that is how I was able to see the inside.

I went to Branson last year there are three entertainment attractions that I visited that would be ideal for the warehouse. The Wonder Works, Fritz Adventure, and the Mirror Maize provide some fun family friendly amusement. That warehouse is MASSIVE. 

I would like to see a 12 lane bowling alley built, with stadium seats surrounding three sides of lanes, so that Memphis can host PBA bowling tournaments.  

Do you mean the MCA? I am having a moment and I don’t remember the MSC acronyms.

If you’re talking about the MCA, I wish that I could take credit for this idea, but another one of my in-laws is heavy in the performing arts and she believe the Commercial Appeal building is an excellent location for weekly live performance shows. She often talks about the jobs that would be created if that type of entertainment was incorporated into the Memphis entertainment offerings.

On 3/29/2024 at 11:50 PM, Memphisborn said:

The soccer stadium concept would have been the highest & best use however that’s not feasible for the 901 fc owners to take on. They would have to be a part of the sports package ask along with grizzlies needed funds. Turn the warehouse into a distillery  & tasting room for Big River. 

I don't have any doubt that the city and county will FIND  the money for a soccer stadium.  Watch them do it.  I think the property behind  Wiseacre is ideal too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

My brother-in-law worked with a crew that did some work there and that is how I was able to see the inside.

I went to Branson last year there are three entertainment attractions that I visited that would be ideal for the warehouse. The Wonder Works, Fritz Adventure, and the Mirror Maize provide some fun family friendly amusement. That warehouse is MASSIVE. 

I would like to see a 12 lane bowling alley built, with stadium seats surrounding three sides of lanes, so that Memphis can host PBA bowling tournaments.  

Do you mean the MCA? I am having a moment and I don’t remember the MSC acronyms.

If you’re talking about the MCA, I wish that I could take credit for this idea, but another one of my in-laws is heavy in the performing arts and she believe the Commercial Appeal building is an excellent location for weekly live performance shows. She often talks about the jobs that would be created if that type of entertainment was incorporated into the Memphis entertainment offerings.

I don't have any doubt that the city and county will FIND  the money for a soccer stadium.  Watch them do it.  I think the property behind  Wiseacre is ideal too. 

1 hour ago, JTM1 said:

FYI MSC is the acronym for Mid- South Coliseum 

On 3/31/2024 at 3:12 PM, JTM1 said:

On 3/31/2024 at 4:28 PM, Memphisborn said:

FYI MSC is the acronym for Mid- South Coliseum 

Yup, Mid-South Coliseum. 

I’ve seen some videos online of some places in NYC & Tokyo that are giant playgrounds for adults. You can pay by the hour or have a membership. They have basically every game inside - baggo, giant beer pong, frisbee, bocce ball, darts, archery, trampolines, flag football, basketball, bowling, and many others. They also have food and adult beverages. 

There’s one in St Louis too called the Armory https://www.armorystl.com/

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Yup, Mid-South Coliseum. 

I’ve seen some videos online of some places in NYC & Tokyo that are giant playgrounds for adults. You can pay by the hour or have a membership. They have basically every game inside - baggo, giant beer pong, frisbee, bocce ball, darts, archery, trampolines, flag football, basketball, bowling, and many others. They also have food and adult beverages. 

There’s one in St Louis too called the Armory https://www.armorystl.com/

The Armory could be a great blue print for the CA building