What’s next For Commercial Appeal building??

Memphisborn

https://www.elevenpark.com/

Here is a good blueprint for the vacant CA site and adjacent land. The edge district has a lot of potential for infill projects Rise 2 has been announced across street from CA site. Lot of talk and plans for more retail/  restaurants. The ravine hosted it first event 901 day and was a huge success showing it can be a great gathering place in the edge, Memphis Made open its doors for the public and it could be a great HQ for 901 fc I saw Craig Unger show up he looked like he was scouting the Ravine and brewery Just My opinion. Hopefully the city will see that this location would be amazing for a new soccer specific stadium. 

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

https://www.elevenpark.com/

Here is a good blueprint for the vacant CA site and adjacent land. The edge district has a lot of potential for infill projects Rise 2 has been announced across street from CA site. Lot of talk and plans for more retail/  restaurants. The ravine hosted it first event 901 day and was a huge success showing it can be a great gathering place in the edge, Memphis Made open its doors for the public and it could be a great HQ for 901 fc I saw Craig Unger show up he looked like he was scouting the Ravine and brewery Just My opinion. Hopefully the city will see that this location would be amazing for a new soccer specific stadium. 

Good stuff. The goal should be to get a MLS franchise down the road too, no more minor leagues, but if not, the USL will do.

It's a great location. Maybe there could be further development on Beale behind the CA site...so much potential:

image.thumb.png.8898ca912fa0e309798cf88528136ead.png

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Good stuff. The goal should be to get a MLS franchise down the road too, no more minor leagues, but if not, the USL will do.

It's a great location. Maybe there could be further development on Beale behind the CA site...so much potential:

image.thumb.png.8898ca912fa0e309798cf88528136ead.png

Would love to see MLS. Also NWSL is doing expansion in 2024 will add two teams Utah is named and one other team will be added.  This is an excellent location in the emerging Edge district u have the Ravine, Memphis Made brewery  High cotton. Rise apts, newly announced Rise on the Ravine apts, Orleans station and others. A developer told me the asking price is 20million for CA 12.5 acre site.  Building a soccer specific stadium in that vibrant corridor would spur more and more development in the Edge. USL has stated they want all franchises out of baseball stadiums and in SSS stadiums or loose franchise that’s the main reason Louisville SC had to build new. Just hope our city leaders will see the vision. This would be a transformational project @ that site. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-nwsl/story/4692534/as-expansion-race-heats-upnwsl-faces-tough-questions-about-its-future-with-utah-expected-to-join-in-2024%3Fplatform%3Damp

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Would love to see MLS. Also NWSL is doing expansion in 2024 will add two teams Utah is named and one other team will be added.  This is an excellent location in the emerging Edge district u have the Ravine, Memphis Made brewery  High cotton. Rise apts, newly announced Rise on the Ravine apts, Orleans station and others. A developer told me the asking price is 20million for CA 12.5 acre site.  Building a soccer specific stadium in that vibrant corridor would spur more and more development in the Edge. USL has stated they want all franchises out of baseball stadiums and in SSS stadiums or loose franchise that’s the main reason Louisville SC had to build new. Just hope our city leaders will see the vision. This would be a transformational project @ that site. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/soccer/united-states-nwsl/story/4692534/as-expansion-race-heats-upnwsl-faces-tough-questions-about-its-future-with-utah-expected-to-join-in-2024%3Fplatform%3Damp

OK, so yeah, where’s the money going to come from to build this brand spanking new facility? You know how some of our fellow citizens can be. They’ll be some resistance. You should’ve seen the uproar about one beale in the comments section of the daily memphian. People don’t want their tax dollars spent on pet projects. I don’t mind at all. Anything to help inject confidence and civic pride in Memphis. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

OK, so yeah, where’s the money going to come from to build this brand spanking new facility? You know how some of our fellow citizens can be. They’ll be some resistance. You should’ve seen the uproar about one beale in the comments section of the daily memphian. People don’t want their tax dollars spent on pet projects. I don’t mind at all. Anything to help inject confidence and civic pride in Memphis. 

Here's some articles on Louisville's stadium.  The city spent about $30 million buying the land, cleaning it up, and putting in infrastructure.  The stadium cost was listed at $65 million.  They put in a TIF which is supposed to generate $21.7 million.  Whether it's feasible to get it done in today's times, I have no idea.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2018/12/20/louisville-city-fc-lines-up-stadium-financing-in.html

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/soccer/louisville-city-fc/2018/05/31/louisville-city-fc-soccer-stadium-financing-approval/654946002/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Here's some articles on Louisville's stadium.  The city spent about $30 million buying the land, cleaning it up, and putting in infrastructure.  The stadium cost was listed at $65 million.  They put in a TIF which is supposed to generate $21.7 million.  Whether it's feasible to get it done in today's times, I have no idea.  

https://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/news/2018/12/20/louisville-city-fc-lines-up-stadium-financing-in.html

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/soccer/louisville-city-fc/2018/05/31/louisville-city-fc-soccer-stadium-financing-approval/654946002/

Yes good info and to answer your question honestly have no definite answer on how to finance it. That being said CA building sits in opportunity zone it would take ownership group as well as city/state funds to make it a reality. Being in OZ it would allow a developer to take advantage of Tif financing would need Other mixed uses office/ retail/ Academy to make it attractive to a deep pocket developer. Just some thoughts 

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes good info and to answer your question honestly have no definite answer on how to finance it. That being said CA building sits in opportunity zone it would take ownership group as well as city/state funds to make it a reality. Being in OZ it would allow a developer to take advantage of Tif financing would need Other mixed uses office/ retail/ Academy to make it attractive to a deep pocket developer. Just some thoughts 

Ya know, they could have gotten really far on a stadium there with all that money they spent on making it an overflow COVID hospital, that never got used.  

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2020/05/18/see-memphis-covid-19-hospital-inside-former-commercial-appeal-building/5210120002/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MDC26 said:

Ya know, they could have gotten really far on a stadium there with all that money they spent on making it an overflow COVID hospital, that never got used.  

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2020/05/18/see-memphis-covid-19-hospital-inside-former-commercial-appeal-building/5210120002/

Yea that was money down the drain 

On 9/6/2022 at 9:33 AM, Memphisborn said:

I'm glad the Edge had success on 901Day. The pictures on-line of people from all walks of life enjoying themselves was refreshing and exciting to see. If this is going to be the pre-game spot for future futbol games, then there needs to be a pedestrian bridge, a la Silo Square in Southaven, over Union.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I'm glad the Edge had success on 901Day. The pictures on-line of people from all walks of life enjoying themselves was refreshing and exciting to see. If this is going to be the pre-game spot for future futbol games, then there needs to be a pedestrian bridge, a la Silo Square in Southaven, over Union.

Interesting point about pedestrian bridge I drove by today and really scouted the site never considered Pedestrian bridge but I do see how it could work. What I did really notice was how much land mass is available also the current office building roughly 128,000 Sf could stay and the warehouse could be torn down along with the adjacent lot to build a 8,000 seat stadium. The current office just need to be renovated it still has a very nice and somewhat modern design. Would definitely save cost. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2022 at 6:25 PM, Memphisborn said:

Interesting point about pedestrian bridge I drove by today and really scouted the site never considered Pedestrian bridge but I do see how it could work. What I did really notice was how much land mass is available also the current office building roughly 128,000 Sf could stay and the warehouse could be torn down along with the adjacent lot to build a 8,000 seat stadium. The current office just need to be renovated it still has a very nice and somewhat modern design. Would definitely save cost. 

Well 901 FC has chosen Liberty Park as the place to build SSS. That still leaves CA site on the table for adaptive reuse. Maybe an executive conference center and hotel to give UT/Southwest a meeting place for major conferences, also additional space for conventions. 

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 12:46 PM, Memphisborn said:

Well 901 FC has chosen Liberty Park as the place to build SSS. That still leaves CA site on the table for adaptive reuse. Maybe an executive conference center and hotel to give UT/Southwest a meeting place for major conferences, also additional space for conventions. 

I know adaptive re-use is the Memphis way, but why not tear it down? It doesn't seem to fit, seems like it should be out East somewhere. Not only that, but it's also far away from the street. Since it's near the site of the first railroad in West Tennessee, why not have a museum that highlights logistics in this region, along with residential. Or maybe keep the facility and repaint the outside.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I know adaptive re-use is the Memphis way, but why not tear it down? It doesn't seem to fit, seems like it should be out East somewhere. Not only that, but it's also far away from the street. Since it's near the site of the first railroad in West Tennessee, why not have a museum that highlights logistics in this region, along with residential. Or maybe keep the facility and repaint the outside.

Yes I looked into railroad museum concept. That could be an attractive idea and can see it inside the warehouse building. 148,000 Sf. A developer told me that it would take a lot of work to make it happen. That would still leave what to do with the adjacent 128,000 Sf office which is why I suggest an executive conference center and event space. Lastly the asking price is 20million for the building so it will take deep pockets. Oh btw I also looked into the possibility of Newseum which would highlight the building history as Commercial appeal/ press scimitar history. That’s another huge undertaking . 

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/495-Union-Ave-Memphis-TN/7759854/

eb756152-4fa9-41c0-b5ec-686317fe5778

22 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I would definitely vote to keep the building it’s in great shape and could be a anchor building in the edge district. A rising tide to lift all boats. I would love to see it become a News Museum and executive conference center as a tribute to its publishing days. Focused on local, regional and National news stories. Having a social media history as part of it with daily newspapers from around the world out front would be a cool addition. Here’s a link.

https://www.newsmuseum.pt/en

22 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Yes, it does sit back a ways, but there is enough room where another office building could be built between it and the street, and there could be a plaza between the two buildings. If no one could do anything with the warehouse part, it could be torn down for further development with the office part staying. 

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Yes, it does sit back a ways, but there is enough room where another office building could be built between it and the street, and there could be a plaza between the two buildings. If no one could do anything with the warehouse part, it could be torn down for further development with the office part staying. 

Never thought of that. I agree, as long as it fits in with its surroundings. It does have a machine-like aesthetic that could fit in with the whole Edge/auto/mechanical feel. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

Never thought of that. I agree, as long as it fits in with its surroundings. It does have a machine-like aesthetic that could fit in with the whole Edge/auto/mechanical feel. 

I think CA will be kept. Cultural/ entertainment center with a food hall/ retail/ and miniature city of Memphis railroad park inside similar to miniature  wonderland in Germany. Along with conference center and event space. That would make a nice fit in the up and coming edge district.  Hmm Bluff City Cultural and entertainment center has a nice ring. Here a look @ a blueprint for rail road museum layout for CA warehouse.

Edited by Memphisborn

3 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I think CA will be kept. Cultural/ entertainment center with a food hall/ retail/ and miniature city of Memphis railroad park inside similar to miniature  wonderland in Germany. Along with conference center and event space. That would make a nice fit in the up and coming edge district.  Hmm Bluff City Cultural and entertainment center has a nice ring. Here a look @ a blueprint for rail road museum layout for CA warehouse.

Well the museum that was in central station needs a new home. This would be the perfect place to highlight Memphis’ history as a railroad hub. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Is that Mr. Rogers’ Neighborhood after gentrification?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been talking with some lead developers in the edge district about the possibilities of adaptive reuse for CA building word is Southwest TN College has strong interest in building to expand there campus. Welcome center and office/ conference space has been mentioned as there interest, however that would still leave what to do with 148,000 Sf warehouse which I still hope a developer would invest in a Distllery( Big River). Food hall and entertainment, bowling, living room theater, pool, arcade etc.  here’s some research I pulled about SWTCC.

655C40E8-4254-4FD0-8300-2BE696772A85.thumb.png.566a175c0e10669704de46813c57d5bf.png4A8D26E3-5141-4BB8-B6FD-C4162B36A865.thumb.png.acf6f3cc21893b7b6bc48b64191f1c8d.png

On 12/23/2022 at 9:38 AM, Memphisborn said:

Been talking with some lead developers in the edge district about the possibilities of adaptive reuse for CA building word is Southwest TN College has strong interest in building to expand there campus. Welcome center and office/ conference space has been mentioned as there interest, however that would still leave what to do with 148,000 Sf warehouse which I still hope a developer would invest in a Distllery( Big River). Food hall and entertainment, bowling, living room theater, pool, arcade etc.  here’s some research I pulled about SWTCC.

655C40E8-4254-4FD0-8300-2BE696772A85.thumb.png.566a175c0e10669704de46813c57d5bf.png4A8D26E3-5141-4BB8-B6FD-C4162B36A865.thumb.png.acf6f3cc21893b7b6bc48b64191f1c8d.png

I have doubts about SW TN CC taking over the space.  They were supposed to take over the Office Depot on Union across from the park, for a welcome center/store/front door to campus.  That fell through because of decreased enrollment and funds.  

• Like 1