What’s next For Commercial Appeal building??

Memphisborn

7 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

I think it will remain empty until the walk at union project is complete then it will be demolished and the site will be used for a larger development 

Yes I agree. I hope it becomes a Soccer Specific stadium. That’s a great location for that. USL wants all their teams in SSS by 2025. We have a good supporting fan base and it will only continue to grow. Also there is the possibility of adding a women soccer franchise. Nwsl/ USL-w

15 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Yes I agree. I hope it becomes a Soccer Specific stadium. That’s a great location for that. USL wants all their teams in SSS by 2025. We have a good supporting fan base and it will only continue to grow. Also there is the possibility of adding a women soccer franchise. Nwsl/ USL-w

There’s also been talk of a Top Golf at the CA location. A soccer stadium would work too. Another place a soccer stadium would work is the couple of blocks behind the new Wiseacre downtown. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MDC26 said:

There’s also been talk of a Top Golf at the CA location. A soccer stadium would work too. Another place a soccer stadium would work is the couple of blocks behind the new Wiseacre downtown. 

I think a Top Golf would look hideous there (with the massive poles and netting). I think it would make more sense somewhere farther north or south.

58 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I think a Top Golf would look hideous there (with the massive poles and netting). I think it would make more sense somewhere farther north or south.

Agreed! Soccer specific stadium is the best concept. Especially when u consider high cotton brewery/ Memphis made across the street also it could be an anchor for further edge redevelopment. 
 A rising tide to lift all boats. 

There is nothing asthetically pleasing about a Top Golf. They are hideous. They belong hidden like the one in Vegas right behind the strip or on a dime a dozen exit on the edge of town near the newest Chick FIL.  That said I love Top Golf. The one in XNA ruins Rogers Ar's new mini sky line.

I had long been a proponent for that site and the area of the Union project  as a new Convention/Covered Stadium to replace Cook and The LB.  As the deficiencies of the LB are holding back the UofM in conference growth I just shake my head , but I digress.

A soccer specific stadium would be fine but for Christ's sake make it capable of holding 25 to 30 thousand for concerts. Why, expand the Beale Street Music Fest to two weekends and this would be the main stage but keep a river side stage for middle bill acts  Bookend Beale with the main performance venues. That River Stage could be the Amp on Mud Island. Smaller stages would be in the new Tom Lee Park. I'm taking the mud element out of it.

Anyone that knows my handle on another site knows I've gone on and on  about what Mud Island should be...

The Tivoli Park  (in Copenhagen) of North America

Updated Amp

Updated River Museum with Aquarium and motion theater like Soarin' at Disney that flys the Mississippi from the head waters to the Gulf. 

Outdoor small performance stages

A selection of choice rides just like Tivoli like a Star Flyer. You'd be amazed at what could be put in tastefully given the small footprint.

Updated River Walk with enhanced botanical features giving it a botanical park feel. 

Weekly fireworks off the southern end during the summer timed with cruise ship overnight dockings.

Year Around goals like Christmas lighting display with a European styled outdoor Christmas Market and Ice rink. Signature element is a giant Christmas tree light show at  the Gulf, ala Silver Dollar City and Dollywood. 

I'd like to see a craft brewery with a riverside biergarten. Muddy Waters Brew Works.  No charge for the name. Host a regional Octoberfest with area breweries setting up  ticketed tents. 

Edited by Wayward Memphian
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Wayward Memphian said:

There is nothing asthetically pleasing about a Top Golf. They are hideous. They belong hidden like the one in Vegas right behind the strip or on a dime a dozen exit on the edge of town near the newest Chick FIL.  That said I love Top Golf. The one in XNA ruins Rogers Ar's new mini sky line.

I had long been a proponent for that site and the area of the Union project  as a new Convention/Covered Stadium to replace Cook and The LB.  As the deficiencies of the LB are holding back the UofM in conference growth I just shake my head , but I digress.

A soccer specific stadium would be fine but for Christ's sake make it capable of holding 25 to 30 thousand for concerts. Why, expand the Beale Street Music Fest to two weekends and this would be the main stage but keep a river side stage for middle bill acts  Bookend Beale with the main performance venues. That River Stage could be the Amp on Mud Island. Smaller stages would be in the new Tom Lee Park. I'm taking the mud element out of it.

Anyone that knows my handle on another site knows I've gone on and on  about what Mud Island should be...

The Tivoli Park  (in Copenhagen) of North America

Updated Amp

Updated River Museum with Aquarium and motion theater like Soarin' at Disney that flys the Mississippi from the head waters to the Gulf. 

Outdoor small performance stages

A selection of choice rides just like Tivoli like a Star Flyer. You'd be amazed at what could be put in tastefully given the small footprint.

Updated River Walk with enhanced botanical features giving it a botanical park feel. 

Weekly fireworks off the southern end during the summer timed with cruise ship overnight dockings.

Year Around goals like Christmas lighting display with a European styled outdoor Christmas Market and Ice rink. Signature element is a giant Christmas tree light show at  the Gulf, ala Silver Dollar City and Dollywood. 

I'd like to see a craft brewery with a riverside biergarten. Muddy Waters Brew Works.  No charge for the name. Host a regional Octoberfest with area breweries setting up  ticketed tents. 

Interesting ideas for mud Island. 901 fc will have to address their stadium situation soon. As USL president Jake Edwards makes it clear part of being a franchise member is to have a soccer specific stadium for all franchises by 2025. Covid may have given some grace time 2026 to current franchises. I’m sure this was discussed and agreed to prior to bringing a franchise to Memphis. With 13 acres and adjacent property being also available for parking/Academy / office uses. CA site is perfect. It’s proximity to Brass door/ high cotton Brewery/ Ravine/ Memphis Made. Makes it a prime location for SSS. I can see it fitting well in the Edge To help continue the revitalization of that area. A rising tide to lift all boats. Good ideas about Mud Island but I’ll be honest I see Bass pro working behind the scenes to redevelope and manage mud Island it’s right in their backyard. And I think we all know the weight they carry with the huge success they have with Big Cedar lodge/ wonders of wildlife etc. look for it to be revealed in 2022 about their plans for the island. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.commercialappeal.com/amp/90524626

2 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Interesting ideas for mud Island. 901 fc will have to address their stadium situation soon. As USL president Jake Edwards makes it clear part of being a franchise member is to have a soccer specific stadium for all franchises by 2025. Covid may have given some grace time 2026 to current franchises. I’m sure this was discussed and agreed to prior to bringing a franchise to Memphis. With 13 acres and adjacent property being also available for parking/Academy / office uses. CA site is perfect. It’s proximity to Brass door/ high cotton Brewery/ Ravine/ Memphis Made. Makes it a prime location for SSS. I can see it fitting well in the Edge To help continue the revitalization of that area. A rising tide to lift all boats. Good ideas about Mud Island but I’ll be honest I see Bass pro working behind the scenes to redevelope and manage mud Island it’s right in their backyard. And I think we all know the weight they carry with the huge success they have with Big Cedar lodge/ wonders of wildlife etc. look for it to be revealed in 2022 about their plans for the island. 

Plus, the Redbirds just got sold recently to a new entity that is separate from the group running 901 FC, so that might actually accelerate the process of having a soccer-specific stadium constructed sooner rather than later. It doesn't have to be like what Indianapolis is proposing, but should be done in a way where it can be expanded over time. I would even take things a step further and have its orientation pointed west-northwest towards downtown.

I think something like the recently-rebuilt Memorial Stadium in Charlotte could work for the old CA site initially (10,000 seats): https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018/03/memorial-stadium-renovation-approved/

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

There's only so many irons in the fire that Mr. Bass Pro can handle. In case you didn't know, he bought the former DogPatch USA south of Harrison Ar and turning into another nature park like Dogwood Canyon. I have mixed feelings on what he has done with the property so far. My wife has tons of family in Newton Co AR and will own land nearby one day.  Sometimes you don't have to destroy nature to create nature which he has a propensity to do as he has his idealized view  what it is.

Edited by Wayward Memphian

14 hours ago, James Owen said:

Plus, the Redbirds just got sold recently to a new entity that is separate from the group running 901 FC, so that might actually accelerate the process of having a soccer-specific stadium constructed sooner rather than later. It doesn't have to be like what Indianapolis is proposing, but should be done in a way where it can be expanded over time. I would even take things a step further and have its orientation pointed west-northwest towards downtown.

I think something like the recently-rebuilt Memorial Stadium in Charlotte could work for the old CA site initially (10,000 seats): https://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2018/03/memorial-stadium-renovation-approved/

I completely agree with West -Northwest view to be able to see the amazing skyline,  I would hope for something a little more that what charlotte did with memorial stadium that design suck. I hope for something with a canopy around it. Here’s a example :

https://www.spectorgroup.com/project/under-armor-stadium-and-long-island-soccer-academy-complex/

Or this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2021/05/20/the-usl-is-experiencing-a-soccer-stadium-boom-its-real-estate-chief-explains-why/

Edited by Memphisborn

18 hours ago, James Owen said:

Yeah, but the new entity is really the same people.  It sold to a subsidiary of a larger group, but the previous owner is the CEO of this subsidiary and the President/GM will be the same.  There may have been some people involved in the first group that are no longer involved, but the people running things are going to be the same.  I don't know if this changes anything with the Redbirds or 901 FC.

16 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

I completely agree with West -Northwest view to be able to see the amazing skyline,  I would hope for something a little more that what charlotte did with memorial stadium that design suck. I hope for something with a canopy around it. Here’s a example :

https://www.spectorgroup.com/project/under-armor-stadium-and-long-island-soccer-academy-complex/

Or this

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ianquillen/2021/05/20/the-usl-is-experiencing-a-soccer-stadium-boom-its-real-estate-chief-explains-why/

Yeah, that would definitely be the better view of the skyline.  I'm sure the reason it's oriented the way it is, is because the entrance was more ideal at that intersection across the street from the Double Tree and Peabody.  

As far as a soccer stadium, Louisville's new stadium is really nice.  It seats 11,700, but is expandable to over 15k.  It hosted the NWSL Championship this year and it looked really great, and much bigger on TV.  The CA site could work, but I think a better option would be behind the new Wiseacre.  The CA site is really lacking in parking and the only hotel close by is the LaQuinta.  This option is close to South Main and nearby the Westin, Central Station, and Arrive.  It also as parking available on the South side of FedEx Forum as well as nearby churches.  It is near to the Civil Rights Museum, Clayborn Temple, FedEx Forum, and Wiseacre.  Closer walk from Downtown/Beale street and same distance to the Brass Door.  Also wouldn't have to cross Danny Thomas.  There also more opportunities for investment/development around this site and could turn around these blighted lots.  

lot.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MDC26 said:

Yeah, that would definitely be the better view of the skyline.  I'm sure the reason it's oriented the way it is, is because the entrance was more ideal at that intersection across the street from the Double Tree and Peabody.  

As far as a soccer stadium, Louisville's new stadium is really nice.  It seats 11,700, but is expandable to over 15k.  It hosted the NWSL Championship this year and it looked really great, and much bigger on TV.  The CA site could work, but I think a better option would be behind the new Wiseacre.  The CA site is really lacking in parking and the only hotel close by is the LaQuinta.  This option is close to South Main and nearby the Westin, Central Station, and Arrive.  It also as parking available on the South side of FedEx Forum as well as nearby churches.  It is near to the Civil Rights Museum, Clayborn Temple, FedEx Forum, and Wiseacre.  Closer walk from Downtown/Beale street and same distance to the Brass Door.  Also wouldn't have to cross Danny Thomas.  There also more opportunities for investment/development around this site and could turn around these blighted lots.  

lot.jpg

Ok I see that, but keep in mind the walk on union has two hotels going up. Tempo and embassy suites also the walk offers new apartments and walk up ticket sales to game. btw Parking is available behind CA 450 spaces right behind and also the walk will provide additional parking. As well as the lot @ union 4th 

14 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Ok I see that, but keep in mind the walk on union has two hotels going up. Tempo and embassy suites also the walk offers new apartments and walk up ticket sales to game. btw Parking is available behind CA 450 spaces right behind and also the walk will provide additional parking. As well as the lot @ union 4th 

The Walk on Union was just a twinkle in its developers eyes when Autozone Park was built in 1998.  There's no way developers of Autozone Park could have foreseen  what that area had in its future, nor would they want to wait 25+ years for it to happen.  So, they put its entrance at the best spot, even if it didn't give the best city skyline views.  It was be a massive overhaul to reorient the park, and probably not financially feasible.  It would probably be better off, to develop something out past left center field.  The spot where the car rental place is between the Hickman building and Visible Music college would be a nice spot for a residential tower.  

And as far as the 450 spaces behind the CA. I figure a good chunk of them would be taken up by a stadium.  

1 hour ago, dxfret said:

spacer.pngThe  30,000 seat Nashville Soccer League new stadium will open next year at the Nashville fairgrounds near downtown.  Recent construction pics. 
image.thumb.png.d366065f418cdbe48ec24067eea29a10.png

It’s a nice stadium. Big too MLS 30,000. I would like to see us stay with a downtown sss. Close to Beale ,definitely a canopy  with beer garden etc.  let’s see what Tim Howard and the rest of 901 fc come up with as far as location & design. Good luck to Nashville, but I’m definitely Memphis. 

4 hours ago, MDC26 said:

lot.jpg

I agree.  I think farther south would activate that area a lot more.  Plus it's all connected down BB King from Autozone Park/Forum/down to this site and through Beale and close to South Main.  If I had to guess I would predict the CA site just becomes more mixed-use with apartments/retail  a la The Walk.   That would still connect the core of Downtown to The Edge with people/businesses more hours of the day than a stadium that's not really active unless a game is going on.   Either way... if they end up building a soccer specific stadium and keeping it downtown either is fine with me.

Edited by DRG901
  • Like 1

Nashville is lucky to have their fairgrounds near downtown. The opportunity for alot of land to build whatever. 

When I look at Memphis above on google maps, we have alot of inbuild in and around downtown, especially residential. For something big like these stadiums to be built, developers would have to approach some nearby industrial properties south of downtown, and maybe clear a few neighborhoods. Like the Mercedes Benz stadium in ATL, its literally streets over from a hood very similar to that part of South memphis 

3 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

Nashville is lucky to have their fairgrounds near downtown. The opportunity for alot of land to build whatever. 

When I look at Memphis above on google maps, we have alot of inbuild in and around downtown, especially residential. For something big like these stadiums to be built, developers would have to approach some nearby industrial properties south of downtown, and maybe clear a few neighborhoods. Like the Mercedes Benz stadium in ATL, its literally streets over from a hood very similar to that part of South memphis 

The area that I suggested has a single house, a run down duplex, a rundown quinplex, an abandoned apartment complex, two abandoned buildings and a junk car place. It totally has enough space to build a 15-20k soccer stadium and there’s minimal things occupying it. Being able to purchase all the land? Who knows. 

12 hours ago, MDC26 said:

The area that I suggested has a single house, a run down duplex, a rundown quinplex, an abandoned apartment complex, two abandoned buildings and a junk car place. It totally has enough space to build a 15-20k soccer stadium and there’s minimal things occupying it. Being able to purchase all the land? Who knows. 

Yea I have driven by that site near wiseacre. It’s certainly enough land there. Yes it’s closer to Beale st than CA and also right @ SMain. I can see why that would be considered. If I had to guess it’s probably close to 20-30 acres in total. That’s enough land mass to build a nice sss plus parking. My question about that site would be ingress & egress the streets would have to be widened to accommodate 8-10,000 fans and also 14-18,000 fans @ FedEx forum  901 fc and Grizzlies have games scheduled same day sometime-traffic management would  definitely have to address @ that site. CA site could manage traffic better IMO however I do like the Wiseacre number of acres better to accommodate parking. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 6:21 PM, DRG901 said:

I agree.  I think farther south would activate that area a lot more.  Plus it's all connected down BB King from Autozone Park/Forum/down to this site and through Beale and close to South Main.  If I had to guess I would predict the CA site just becomes more mixed-use with apartments/retail  a la The Walk.   That would still connect the core of Downtown to The Edge with people/businesses more hours of the day than a stadium that's not really active unless a game is going on.   Either way... if they end up building a soccer specific stadium and keeping it downtown either is fine with me.

Audi field in DC sits on 8.5 acres CA site is 12.57 acres  with the adjacent edge district being promoted as the next retail/ entertainment corridor with some already established anchors Sun Studios (tourists) High Cotton,  Memphis Made brewery Ravine Orion credit union, South west community college and  UT , restaurants slim and husky etc. Add a 10,000 seat fut’bol stadium and the edge could become the cities new entertainment district.  A look @ Audi field DC 

https://populous.com/project/dc-united-stadium

Edited by Memphisborn
  • Like 1