Greensboro Randolph County Megasite Toyota Battery

KJHburg

Lets start a new topic as this is going to be so important to the region it need not get lost in the general business news.   2 pm Monday all eyes on this site Dec. 6 2021. 

Greensboro Randolph Megasite (greensboro-randolphmegasite.com)

repeat of a previous post

Coming to head sounds like next week from the Triad Biz Journal:

""Yet another indication of a possible Monday announcement regarding a major manufacturer coming to the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite came Thursday when the North Carolina Department of Commerce announced a special meeting of its Economic Investment Committee (EIC) Monday morning at 11 a.m.  The EIC has also scheduled a special meeting for next Wednesday. It is unknown if at that meeting the committee will discuss awarding $106.7 million in incentives included in a budget amendment passed last week for an “aircraft manufacturer,” as described in the bill, at Piedmont Triad International Airport that would bring a $500 million investment and create 1,750 jobs.  Meetings of the EIC often immediately precede economic development announcements as, once it approves state incentives packages, those projects — typically held confidential previously — become public record. ""

North Carolina Commerce Department Economic Incentives Committee sets special meeting Monday. Is Greensboro-Randolph Megasite on the agenda? - Triad Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

what Toyota execs said about choosing the Megasite 
""With its commitment to electrified vehicles, Reynolds indicated the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite will be the long-term solution to its hybrid and battery-electric vehicle needs. He told the audience Toyota selected North Carolina and the megasite for five main reasons:
An extensive and well maintained highway and railway system.
A world-renowned education system.
An outstanding and diverse workforce not only to hire from, but also to train and develop.
Four international airports and two seaports. (“We're going to need them,” Reynolds said.)
North Carolina is consistently ranked as one of the top states for doing business.
These five strengths,” Reynolds said, “will help Toyota remain a global leader in electrified vehicles.”
During the announcement, a number of speakers referenced the 2018 near-miss with the Toyota-Mazda vehicle assembly plant that ultimately chose Alabama over the megasite. Reynolds said Toyota’s experience here played a vital role in the company choosing the site and the site over nine other competing states.  “Let's put it this way — we didn't have to reintroduce ourselves to anybody because we knew everybody,” Reynolds told Triad Business Journal. “But we also started with a firm base of knowledge that I really think was one of the competitive advantages for North Carolina as compared to other states. And what we also found was an openness and a willingness to work with us. Even though the first project didn't come through, there was just this willingness to improve the the site here and and really do a better job for aligning better with our needs.”""
This site was chosen over 9 competing sites in 9 other states. 
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/12/06/toyota-executive-only-the-beginning.html

From reading that article, it definitely sounds as if they are going to expand in the coming years considering they are projecting that 70% of their sales will come from electric vehicles with it being only about 25% currently. That is great news. They will have a huge footprint in NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

^Agree. The site is absolutely massive. I believe the closest auto assembly plant is near Lexington KY. So, logistically speaking, it's makes sense for Toyota to establish a beachhead here on the east coast for car production and maximize their new real estate investment. 2nd battery plant to TN or AR. 

2 hours ago, cityboi said:

There definitely were a few hints at the press conference that we could see a plant that will assemble the electric cars. Triangle news sources are comparing the Toyota deal with the Apple deal in the Triangle. I believe this Toyota project is the largest private investment in state history. This is just so exciting and we still have to find out who the aircraft manufacturer is looking to build a plant at PTI. We've seen such great opportunities in Charlotte and the Triangle and now its finally the Triad's turn.

For phase one, Randolph County is transferring ownership of about 625 acres of the 1,825 acre megasite to Toyota, which gives some indication of the expansion possibilities at the megasite after the first phase is complete. Toyota representative stated "this is only the first chapter" when you look at all of the massive left over acreage of the megasite, that can only mean one thing. An electric automobile assembly plant along with the battery plant. But that will be for another day :)

On the map you can see how close the Greensboro-Randolph megasite is to the Chatham County megasite along future I-685. Greensboro is the closest major city to the Chatham County megasite (24 miles)

Carolina-Core-Map_8.2021-1.jpg

Ok, now I get all the excitement about this project, but this is starting to go a bit far.

Apple is the most valuable company in the world. The Apple project is bringing 3000 jobs with minimum average wages at $187,001. 

The only commitment thus far for the Toyota project is 1750 jobs with a median salary of around $62,000. Keep things in perspective and realistic.

Edited by RALNATIVE

3 hours ago, cityboi said:

The comparison made by the media wasn't about salaries, it was about the size of the investment. And after phase 2, Toyota will have over 3,800 employees at that site.

From what i've read, a Phase 2 is not a guarantee at this point. One can assume it may happen based on Toyotas long term plans, but obviously that all hinges on how successful the initial phase goes.

3 hours ago, cityboi said:

The comparison made by the media wasn't about salaries, it was about the size of the investment. And after phase 2, Toyota will have over 3,800 employees at that site.

Please share your media sources from the Triangle that make these claims?

Edited by RALNATIVE

• KJHburg changed the title to Greensboro Randolph County Megasite Toyota Battery
2 hours ago, rancenc said:

I think the moderator needs to change the title of this thread to reflect that it is a Toyota project now!:tw_innocent:

I was able to do it since I started the thread.  Of course Phase 2 is not guaranteed but 1750 jobs and $1.3 B investment is just the first phase.  Toyota like most Japanese companies plays a long game and they will build on this investment as they have done everywhere else.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I was able to do it since I started the thread.  Of course Phase 2 is not guaranteed but 1750 jobs and $1.3 B investment is just the first phase.  Toyota like most Japanese companies plays a long game and they will build on this investment as they have done everywhere else.  

I agree with you as I normally do. All i'm saying is let's not count our chickens before they hatch.

In today's business climate, things can change constantly and it's happening more frequently. Corporate management changes, economic changes, societal changes, political changes, etc. could all make the future a lot less certain and unpredictable. 

I agree with you as I normally do. All i'm saying is let's not count our chickens before they hatch.
In today's business climate, things can change constantly and it's happening more frequently. Corporate management changes, economic changes, societal changes, political changes, etc. could all make the future a lot less certain and unpredictable. 

Personal opinion, I don’t think this would be considered counting our chickens before they hatch because no doubt about it, this country is definitely a car country and we are definitely focused on a cleaner future. With this generation being the driving force to a cleaner future and healthy lifestyles, I think they will definitely expand on the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Triad Business Journal reports that "phase 2" at the mega site will likely be an expansion by Toyota to build more than just batteries at the megasite. Translation......electric vehicle assembly. One clue is the big jump in the number of jobs....from 1,700 to 3,800. A spokesman from Toyota basically dove into the numbers when asked about phase 2 and said the site will produce electric cars without saying it directly. He basically said in order to make the projected numbers in investment and the number of jobs we will be doing something in phase 2 other than just making batteries.  This makes sense because other automakers include both battery plants and electric car assembly on the same site. Sales for electric cars are growing especially with the fluctuations with gas prices. More and more businesses and cities are adding charging stations. But I suspect an assembly plant at the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite will produce both hybrid and electric cars.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/12/08/toyota-battery-plant-phase-2-analysis.html

Screenshot_20211209-013621_Chrome.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

the selection by Toyota of this site in Greensboro area is already helping others companies in the same field that might be interested in relocating here according to this article.

https://greensboro.com/business/local/with-battery-plant-toyota-plugs-into-n-c-s-surging-electric-vehicle-industry/article_5fb5f847-4a5f-5b3a-b677-d3272561dc5e.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

• Like 4