Centene Campus University Research Park

KJHburg

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

The optimist in me hopes the veiled marketing means something is already in the works, lol. I thought it previously had a Governor Hunt address (even internally to Centene, but maybe I am wrong about that). I am surprised it is marketed with a Centene Court address. 

I know right that is why I could not find it but I was also looking for office buildings for sale in Charlotte and it still did not come up.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Is there any chance this could draw a relocation for Vanguard (if it is Vanguard)? While unlikely, I can't help but ask the question, lol. I mean, this seems nicer (by far) than their other campuses.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Vanguard officially bought Centene campus. This is super exciting in my opinion. Hopefully Vanguard continues to grow into the space.

Also of note, Centene apparently still owns about 50 acres, but sold ~90 acres to Vanguard today as part of the overall campus.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/04/02/vanguard-centene-campus-university-office.html

Beat me to it! My wife just got an email about the move and I was certain it had to be this space! 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Vanguard officially bought Centene campus. This is super exciting in my opinion. Hopefully Vanguard continues to grow into the space.

Also of note, Centene apparently still owns about 50 acres, but sold ~90 acres to Vanguard today as part of the overall campus.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2024/04/02/vanguard-centene-campus-university-office.html

Good for the class A+ space to get filled and open up some smaller Class A- space to open up. 

Sucks for anyone that had an easy commute to their current offices...lol 

• Like 3

the other 50 acre tract is across between the Electrolux HQ and Duke Energy Data center off David Taylor Drive.  So this property is not even adjacent or even really across from the building.  

• Thanks 1

Here is a good story in a national publication about the Vanguard purchase with additional details where one division of Vanguard is "financing" it for the other division.  Basically, I would guess having what would have been going to office space rent to pay back the "internal loan" for this building.    

Vanguard Buys Former Centene Campus for $117M - Commercial Property Executive (commercialsearch.com)

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 8:15 PM, KJHburg said:

this is FANTASTIC news and will ripple across the country in a positive way for Charlotte.   (Large office campus is taken off the market And I have reasons to believe it will be even more jobs for this area and Vanguard has a new CEO now that who may not be as tied to a Malvern suburban Philadelphia HQ.   Their HQ there is in 13 buildings some so far apart you  have to drive.  This has made my day and I am down in the Lowcountry! 

as for those 50 other acres I think those are across the street and not actually adjacent to this property.  

from the above referenced article:

""Chuck McShane, CoStar's director of market analytics for the Carolinas, said the move will have a significant impact in the University submarket —dropping vacancy from 24% to 18% — as well as across the entire Charlotte MSA. The city-wide vacancy rate is currently at about 14%, according to the latest CoStar data.

"This is the biggest office space takedown since before the pandemic ... It’s a landmark office move," he said. "I think it certainly shows that major companies like Vanguard are interested in consolidating here and willing to place longer-term bets on the Charlotte market."""

and Vanguard does not lease 700K sq ft in Charlotte now I estimate it is about 400-450K sq ft so they are stepping up and expanding with this purchase.  

Dumb question, but if they're already here locally will their current office space to soon be vacant/hurt vacancy rates?  I see a net gain of 250-300K so I think I just answered my own dumb question!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarolinaCrown said:

Dumb question, but if they're already here locally will their current office space to soon be vacant/hurt vacancy rates?  I see a net gain of 250-300K so I think I just answered my own dumb question!  

Yes, there will be a vacancy over at the Water Ridge office park where they are in at least 3 buildings maybe 4.  But this is a gain of at least 300K sq ft of new space now taken off the market.  So it is a net positive for the entire office market.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...