SouthEnd High-Rise Projects

Blue_Devil

On 4/17/2023 at 11:19 PM, SydneyCarton said:

SouthEnd will have the No. 2 skyline in NC after Uptown. I think that downtown Raleigh only has 2 buildings over 400’ tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably would agree in terms of height and "impressiveness". Raleigh has not gone for height at all, choosing instead to try and expand the urban core area-wise. 

I wonder though. Will the culturally accepted borders of "South End" remain static over time? With 500'+ towers like Queensbridge arriving soon right across from Uptown, I wonder if the couple blocks surrounding 277 will start to just be considered part of Uptown.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2023 at 9:21 PM, CLT Development said:

I'll put in a wager that it'll be a bank branch. If it isn't I'll host a Urban Planet party at my house on me

No party at your house.  Biz Journal reporting today that it’ll be a US Bank branch.  How unsexy. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, turbocraig said:

No party at your house.  Biz Journal reporting today that it’ll be a US Bank branch.  How unsexy. 

don't speak ill of my new bank.  their interest rates are much higher than the local big boys.   a bank would pay more for that space than a restaurant unless it was a chain restaurant then everyone would complain about that too.  

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

don't speak ill of my new bank.  their interest rates are much higher than the local big boys.   a bank would pay more for that space than a restaurant unless it was a chain restaurant then everyone would complain about that too.  

Why would people complain about this being a bank branch? 

29 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

Because this is probably the third most important urban intersection in Charlotte and it'll now be home to a bank branch and a gas station.

Basically. I mean one can go deeper in explanation but you obviously get it. 

Nobody here, I assume, complains just to complain. Particularly about whether a retail space is a bank tenant. I think most people who have a problem or disappointed it is a bank branch is so for a broader reason and within context of this specific area and SouthEnd overall - it’s not a complaint in a vacuum. 

Thirty plus years ago the former Walgreens was a KFC for many years. So in another ~70 years the transformation of the intersection will be complete. Fuel Pizza was a fuel station/convenience store in my day, 1970's.

Implied in the post of CLT is that these are/will soon be low impact buildings with high auto dependence and both serve drive-in service functions. There are such things as urban fuel stations but that is not what this corner has. When Walgreens proposed their building years ago the drive-in function was an issue and also the street facing parking rather than behind the building. CVS at Park and South has behind the store parking and no drive through service. Also (fake) windows on the street side. These were negotiated prior to construction.

edit: CVS also promised no screw top wine sales. This is an indicator of the issues facing the neighborhood at that time.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, CLT Development said:

Because this is probably the third most important urban intersection in Charlotte and it'll now be home to a bank branch and a gas station.

Until South is traffic-calmed, it’s hard to expect much out of that specific intersection. 

I think a new branch building or any sort of construction will be a significant improvement over the current structure and how it’s situated, surrounded by blacktop parking lot with not a stitch of landscaping or tree canopy.  I'll take this improvement.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2023 at 9:37 PM, KJHburg said:

Check this out Lincoln Harris did a development map of Southend.    This is pretty nice since I forgotten the names of some of these apartment complexes.

https://www.lincolnharris.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/South-End-Development-Map-5-8-23.pdf

did not know anything about this #8 on the proposed list a 24 story tower at 1218 S Mint St.   wow I knew that site was bought recently but this is news to me! 

I didn’t realize the project at 315 W Morehead was 20 floors- I thought it was 17. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Cousins has submitted land use plans for the surface lot at E Bland and LRT (parking lot across Bland from Hot Taco).

300 units

12,000 sq ft of retail

656 park spots

I know everyone is going to freak out over the # of park spots, but I believe this will be to support the gradual redevelopment of the Hot Taco building, likely starting with the surface lot at the far end along Tryon.

It seems like this thing will have to be pretty tall to fit all of that given the parcel size, right?