Transportation, Infrastructure, and Traffic

roads-scholar

1 hour ago, hub-city said:

There is a new sign on Daniel Morgan down near the car dealerships saying "New Traffic Pattern Coming Soon".  Rumor is a road diet for that area.  it was discussed years ago, but I can't remember anything lately.  (but I'm old and can barely remember yesterday...)  Any details?

Not sure if it's this, but I found plans for a cycletrack on East DMA on the old City website before it was updated (it had an open file tree, which wasn't very secure).  Regardless of whether or not this is what's happening, I'll repeat my complaint that the City/County needs to be more transparent on all these projects.  We shouldn't have to rely on rumors and speculation; it should all be posted publicly on their website(s).

DMA-Beaumont cycletrack.pdf

The City just posted on Facebook that "N Daniel Morgan Ave. (sic - actually East DMA) will see road improvements beginning next week that will immediately add on-street parking and a new pedestrian crossing, and will ultimately allow for more pedestrian & cycling space. Please be mindful as you travel the area during construction!"

Interesting that it sounds like the bike path will come later?  The plan I posted above is mostly just striping (with a few curbs).  I hope the crossing isn't the one from the plan, because it's a weird location that would make turning left onto Liberty Street difficult.

• Like 1

P&C article on East DMA road diet.  It says the bike path (as part of the Hub City Hopper) will be done at the same time.  Work should be completed in two weeks.  Though it says "lane improvements closer to Church Street need approval from SCDOT."

Also, West Main redesign will be bid out in the spring. The work will begin once it is approved by SCDOT.

On-street parking has been striped on East DMA between Dean Street and Liberty Street.  It's a bit odd how much of it is in front of the car dealers, but part of the reason they can't put any near the retail businesses is because of all the driveways/curb-cuts.  (btw, that's not a bike lane, but rather a buffer zone for door opening).

PXL_20240303_224418637.thumb.jpg.e3a07c0543fc8134d0fc572a6c6312a2.jpg

PXL_20240303_225137136.thumb.jpg.a1a87323d673a9afa4c304c4928c854b.jpg

PXL_20240303_225157236.thumb.jpg.72b8597b3d71ed7403dc475ecf205aaa.jpg

1 hour ago, westsider28 said:

On-street parking has been striped on East DMA between Dean Street and Liberty Street.  It's a bit odd how much of it is in front of the car dealers, but part of the reason they can't put any near the retail businesses is because of all the driveways/curb-cuts.  (btw, that's not a bike lane, but rather a buffer zone for door opening).

PXL_20240303_224418637.thumb.jpg.e3a07c0543fc8134d0fc572a6c6312a2.jpg

PXL_20240303_225137136.thumb.jpg.a1a87323d673a9afa4c304c4928c854b.jpg

PXL_20240303_225157236.thumb.jpg.72b8597b3d71ed7403dc475ecf205aaa.jpg

Seems a little odd to have on-street parking at this location but I'm all in favor of a DMA road diet any way that can be accomplished.  FYI the dealerships need the extra parking.  

• 3 weeks later...

Gotta say I'm disappointed with the bike lane on EDMA. Bike lanes next to on street parking are notoriously dangerous for cyclists, and with a 35mph speed limit you won't see many causal riders. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it. Definitely a net positive and a step. in a positive direction.

Are they going to stripe on in the eastbound side?

5 hours ago, Spartan said:

Gotta say I'm disappointed with the bike lane on EDMA. Bike lanes next to on street parking are notoriously dangerous for cyclists, and with a 35mph speed limit you won't see many causal riders. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did it. Definitely a net positive and a step. in a positive direction.

Are they going to stripe on in the eastbound side?

Perhaps you didn't notice that I mentioned in my original post, "(btw, that's not a bike lane, but rather a buffer zone for door opening)".

There will be a curb-protected 2-way bike path on the south side of the street.  It hasn't been started yet.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

The Spartanburg County Safety Action Plan has been updated with results from the public survey, which are predictably heavily car-oriented.  There's a map of where people feel unsafe, a map of the "high injury network" (8% of roads account for 47% of fatal / severe injury crashes), priority corridors, and safety strategies.  Those strategies are:

-Prioritize roadway maintenance (pavement quality and striping) along High Injury Network corridors.

-Create education campaigns to raise awareness on the danger of distracted and impaired driving.

-Implement projects that create options for people to walk, bicycle, drive, and use transit safely.

-Adopt policies that lead to increased safety along corridors with multiple driveways.

-Retrofit intersections known for fatal and serious crashes with elements to reduce approach and turning speeds.

-Install enhanced trail crossings at all roadways to increase safety and comfort of trail users.

-Create policies and programs to install traffic calming elements in residential areas.

-Emphasize slow speeds, safe crossings, and increased visibility on all roadways near schools.

-Develop standards and guidelines for reducing speeds on truck routes through residential and commercial areas.

-Prioritize filling sidewalk gaps and reducing crossing distances for pedestrians of all ages and abilities.

There's also a follow-up survey at the very bottom of the site.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2024 at 10:23 PM, westsider28 said:

Perhaps you didn't notice that I mentioned in my original post, "(btw, that's not a bike lane, but rather a buffer zone for door opening)".

There will be a curb-protected 2-way bike path on the south side of the street.  It hasn't been started yet.

Ha, I did not notice that. Thanks for the clarification!

• 2 weeks later...

In a special meeting today, County Council voted on an application for a Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) Implementation Grant (part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law).

Spartanburg County grant submittal will be for $20M.  With a required 20% ($4M) local match, the total would be $24M.  These funds will be utilized for transportation related safety improvements along Asheville Hwy. between Hearon Circle and Hwy. 221 and N. Pine Street between Hwy. 221 and E. Main St.

Hopefully Asheville Hwy is a road diet that includes heavily upgraded bike/pedestrian facilities. Pine Street could use some sidewalk improvements (or additions) too.  And maybe extend the third northbound lane to Hwy 221 (rather than ending awkwardly at McCravy Drive).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, westsider28 said:

In a special meeting today, County Council voted on an application for a Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) Implementation Grant (part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law).

Spartanburg County grant submittal will be for $20M.  With a required 20% ($4M) local match, the total would be $24M.  These funds will be utilized for transportation related safety improvements along Asheville Hwy. between Hearon Circle and Hwy. 221 and N. Pine Street between Hwy. 221 and E. Main St.

Hopefully Asheville Hwy is a road diet that includes heavily upgraded bike/pedestrian facilities. Pine Street could use some sidewalk improvements (or additions) too.  And maybe extend the third northbound lane to Hwy 221 (rather than ending awkwardly at McCravy Drive).

I don’t like road diets. I hate when I get behind a slowpoke going 20 in a 35 and I can’t pass!