Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

21 minutes ago, HRVT said:

As for Richmond, it would certainly be nice to see AAA baseball again there..... it's obviously a good enough market. Maybe they would keep the Squirrels name too.

Hopefully the powers that be at 1271 Sixth Avenue (Avenue of the Americas) in Gotham will take notice of a 10K-plus seat ballpark, the Squirrel's outstanding AA attendance figures and make whatever moves necessary to move our club back into the International League. The R-Braves - and before them, the Virginians - were iconic members of the IL from 1954 until the Bravos departed for Gwinnett in 2009. The R-Braves won five Governors Cups and played in ten IL championship series. The IL is most certainly where the RVA franchise belongs - and it would be great to see them make a return in 2026 with the new ballpark.

• Like 1

The RTD posted a copy of their front page a day ago on Facebook and I just learned what it says in the highlighted area below - that groundbreaking for the new baseball stadium won’t be until EARLY SUMMER.  Seems a little late to me, but okay,,,,,

IMG_7055.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

Can you guys do me a favor and just assume we start October 10 so that you aren’t stressed when summer rolls around and they haven’t started yet? Nothing ever starts on time around here lol, just save the stress. 

Can't argue with that, @wrldcoupe4. Good call.

I'm prolly being (typically) cynical - but tbh I'll be bloody well surprised if they break ground at all before the end of the year. This whole business of potentially losing the $25 million in sales tax revenue, the collection of which the General Assembly (more specifically the Senate) conveniently decided to let sunset this summer, is a speedbump no one foresaw being laid before us. Isn't there something in Scripture forbidding the "laying of a stumbling block before the blind"?

Without any undue meandering into swirling political waters, I don't have a lot of faith in either the governor or the G.A. to fix this, in which case -- yet again -- we've gotta jump through flaming hoops for something we thought was set in stone because -- yet again -- we're getting the pavement pulled out from beneath us. I can't facepalm hard enough and it's beyond frustrating.   image.png.c86b861f620516af43f9cd3430c1318d.png   image.png.02496b184ab0ecf81f7d306a99d9bcc9.png

Edited by I miss RVA

12 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm prolly being (typically) cynical - but tbh I'll be bloody well surprised if they break ground at all before the end of the year. This whole business of potentially losing the $25 million in sales tax revenue,

Can I double down on the cynicism? They weren't going to get $25 million in sales tax revenue. Those projections are always overly rosy to sell the deal.

Edited by Flood Zone
  • Thanks 1

So I'm glad that the story says that this isn't a project killer but it certainly has me worried as well. While I'm sure emails on this subject won't amount to much I still want to send some out in an effort to help out anyway I can. Who do y'all think emails need to be sent to? The Govenor and Virginia Senate finance committee? Anyone else y'all can think of?

It just annoys me that we are getting screwed once again due to a much worse plan (the Alexandria arena). Like this is a one to one replacement for us, not an uprooting of two teams from a city to the burbs like that one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BigBobbyG said:

So I'm glad that the story says that this isn't a project killer but it certainly has me worried as well. While I'm sure emails on this subject won't amount to much I still want to send some out in an effort to help out anyway I can. Who do y'all think emails need to be sent to? The Govenor and Virginia Senate finance committee? Anyone else y'all can think of?

It just annoys me that we are getting screwed once again due to a much worse plan (the Alexandria arena). Like this is a one to one replacement for us, not an uprooting of two teams from a city to the burbs like that one.

Yes - definitely worthwhile to reach out to the governor's office as well as your local delegate and senator. Every voice of support helps. Not sure if it would help to also reach out to leadership in the G.A. - but for certain your local representatives would be a good place to start (along with the governor's office).

Let's do what we can to help make this happen.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eandslee said:

Check out this document.  Found this which contains mostly redacted pages, but there are some pages that are not redacted. Starting on page 63 through the end, are a bunch of renderings we’ve never seen before:

https://www.wric.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/74/2024/03/Responsive-Document-Schematic-Design-Baseball-Stadium-1.pdf

Nice renderings. All in all, it's not bad. 

9 minutes ago, plain said:

Two-over-twos coming to Rhoadmiller St, next to I-95/64 and across from The Park at RVA. 180 total condos. 

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/01/longtime-feed-more-hq-near-the-diamond-to-be-replaced-with-180-condos/

Glad condos seem to be taking off in this area. As I've said before we need ownership opportunities not just apts. Also doubtful but would be nice if as part of this they built a cut-through road there.

• Like 2

I don't think this is the place for this type of suburban style development.  Do I want ownership?  Yes but in a higher density project than this.  My concern these owners could become NIMBY's in an area which can support more density.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Shakman said:

I don't think this is the place for this type of suburban style development.  Do I want ownership?  Yes but in a higher density project than this.  My concern these owners could become NIMBY's in an area which can support more density.

16 minutes ago, Shakman said:

1.) Do I want ownership?  Yes but in a higher density project than this. 

2.) My concern these owners could become NIMBY's in an area which can support more density.

Very good points, @Shakman. A couple of thoughts:

1.) From the standpoint of ownership/condo development, I think at least on a "Richmond scale" (and y'all know how I feel about that - don't get me started) - right now 180 units on a piece of property this size IS probably on the higher side in terms of density. Admittedly, we're talking about a fairly large land footprint involved with this project, which is a far cry from a smaller footprint and a more vertical building (say 10 or 15 stories). Unfortunately, here's where RVA's still-too-darn-small market size hampers us. We're not at the level of a NOVA or a Nashville or Austin or of the two Carolina cities where there is sufficient demand for significantly larger (and taller) condominium buildings. Even thinking about Tom Papa's long-since proposed South Falls III condo tower, which would be 11 stories tall on a fairly narrow footprint along the Manchester riverfront, I don't recall if Papa ever mentioned specs (outside of the number of floors), but I'm not sure his building would have even as many condos as this project on Rhoadmiller Street would have. I might be wrong - and admittedly I'm flying blind with no specs in front of me. Either way - from a condo perspective, I'd tend to think that this (180 units) is about as much density as we might be able to reasonably expect AT THIS TIME (and obviously things could change in a positive direction on this!).

2.) image.png.cab81c1a48630c906235ba2f510da449.png% agreed on this. We've seen time and again all across the city (and the metro for that matter). Like you, I do want more ownership in the mix and not just a reliance on big clusters of small apartments in large buildings. HOWEVER - with ownership and being a "stakeholder" in a neighborhood, those who have vested interests come to feel as though they outright own the ENTIRE neighborhood by some manner of Divine right, which is the rocket fuel of NIMBYism. We need look no further than two classic examples: 

1.) When Avery Hall first proposed their towers, not only was Legend Brewery kvetching about the views and coming out in staunch opposition to the project, the owners who had just recently bought into the newly-built condos along the Manchester riverfront west of the Avery Hall site raised a pretty full-throated ruckus -- and they played the "ownership" card. "We bought into this neighborhood and we don't want developers coming in and spoiling our views, yada yada..." Okay - I get it - they have a stake in the beautiful riverfront and skyline views, but they HAVE to know that when you buy into a burgeoning urban neighborhood that just happens to be booming in a city that just happens to be growing, that nothing is etched in stone. That the city is evolving and, as such, the neighborhood is evolving, which means your ownership stake is evolving to some degree. What's more, the Avery Hall towers would not have blocked their view of the entire skyline - just the eastern-most portion, including the view in which Church Hill rises in the background. 

2.) The far western portion of the Museum District near the apartment project now rising at 3600 Grove. The homeowners were howling about "changing/degrading, etc. the 'character' and 'charm' of the neighborhood" and not wanting apartments because, as homeowners, they wanted to 'preserve' the character of the neighborhood as a place for more home ownership (and this despite the fact that there are MANY apartment buildings just a few blocks away from this site - I know because I lived in a couple of them back in the '90s).

So to your point - home ownership, while desirable and a necessary component, DOES - unfortunately - lead to increased NIMBYism when developers come in after the established home owners (whether those homes are houses, townhomes or condos) have put down roots. And in a neighborhood that can - and should - support greater density, we don't need these kinds of speedbumps to trip up growth.

Hopefully we'll see the best of both worlds - condos AND apartments being developed throughout this neighborhood (and there's already been quite a bit of development south and southwest of this site). It's a good mix that can bring tremendous benefit to the city as this neighborhood continues its impressive transformation.

• Like 1

No NIMBY's in my backyard‽

The type of people who move into these condos are going to be the type of people hoping they're first movers in the next Scott's Addition. Nobody is going to be buying these condos for the charm of the neighborhood. 

They're speculating the neighborhood is going to be a place lots of people want to live. These people will be actively pushing for the area to be more like Scott's Addition or Manchester. Also having a significant amount of stable homeowners in the area will hopefully make larger bets on the area more likely. 

There are some great projects right near that will bring density to the area, we just need them to get off the ground. Just around the block Breeden Construction is planning a 6-story mixed use HQ & apartment.  Unfortunately there hasn't been any movement since it was announced in 2021.

Right across the street from it a 5 story apartment building is supposed to replace a warehouse. 

Just a bit down Overbook, there are some plans for places on Lombardy as well. These condos aren't setting the tone for the neighborhood, they're kicking the neighborhood off.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RiverYuppy said:

No NIMBY's in my backyard‽

The type of people who move into these condos are going to be the type of people hoping they're first movers in the next Scott's Addition. Nobody is going to be buying these condos for the charm of the neighborhood. 

They're speculating the neighborhood is going to be a place lots of people want to live. These people will be actively pushing for the area to be more like Scott's Addition or Manchester. Also having a significant amount of stable homeowners in the area will hopefully make larger bets on the area more likely. 

There are some great projects right near that will bring density to the area, we just need them to get off the ground. Just around the block Breeden Construction is planning a 6-story mixed use HQ & apartment.  Unfortunately there hasn't been any movement since it was announced in 2021.

Right across the street from it a 5 story apartment building is supposed to replace a warehouse. 

Just a bit down Overbook, there are some plans for places on Lombardy as well. These condos aren't setting the tone for the neighborhood, they're kicking the neighborhood off.

What's the latest with the Cobb lumber site project?

This area is definitely about to reallllllllly pop - all we need is for enough economic factors to break in the right direction to get these projects back underway. This is going to be a ROCKIN' part of the city.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

What's the latest with the Cobb lumber site project?

I don't know. I  was hoping RBS would drop a hint in the story about the condos. I drive by it every time I go to the grocery store with my fingers crossed that they have broken ground.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, whw53 said:

@Shakman What makes these look 'suburban' to you? The initial renderings showed some trees and surrounding lawnscape but I think that is just a generic background so as not to confuse the product with potentially other structures. The StyleCraft project near Hardywood ended up looking pretty good because it smashes all these new units around other existing uses - this will be similar in context and give it an urban feel I'd think. 

As to Cobb lumber site - the 'Duplex Station' project... I hope this is still set to break ground this year - I think demolition is imminent for the 'Oliver' project across the st (the old Vatex site) so it would be amazing to have dirt turning on both sides of Hermitage. 

It's the facade and lack of ground floor retail.  I see these types developments all over DMV suburbs.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/04/08/city-pitching-new-financing-plan-for-diamond-district-amid-state-sales-tax-uncertainty/

Stadium to break ground in June.  I'll believe it when I see it. Somehow I doubt this hitch in financing is going to just sail through.

I am a little worried about it as well. Hopefully it's so far along that they feel like they can't block it now but who knows, I'll send my emails to council regardless.

Side note: it says it's being presented today to them. Does that also mean it will be voted on today as well?

• Like 1

I have to ask looking at that conceptual rendering in the article where is the parking garages for families who come with 1 or 2 children. I see this being a complete pain in the capital A**. With no good parking solutions it could turn off alot of fans. Plus people who come to watch games from other states as I’ve met people who come from New Jersey or Pennsylvania or Maryland or wherever to watch the squirrels play against another team and it could turn them off with no where to park in a garage. Yes I know we need development but if that parking is for just residents and not fans you are so screwed building that stadium. They better build a 10 story parking garage across the street or do something. This could be a transportation nightmare.

52 minutes ago, BigBobbyG said:

Side note: it says it's being presented today to them. Does that also mean it will be voted on today as well?

My very layman's understanding is that we're so far along that the financing switch is inevitable. But I don't really know anything.

44 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

I have to ask looking at that conceptual rendering in the article where is the parking garages for families who come with 1 or 2 children.

During the initial phase, parking will be in the current lot for The Diamond. 

With the next phase, there will be garages built within/along-side the buildings.

• Like 2