Diamond Area / Hermitage Rd Corridor / Ownby District

whw53

30 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

I don't know if this counts as a development, per se, but the RTD quotes Lincoln Saunders as anticipating that the groundbreaking for the new ballpark will be "April to June-ish."

August 2025: "We were only one month off. I said April to June-ish, not which year!"

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

I don't know if this counts as a development, per se, but the RTD quotes Lincoln Saunders as anticipating that the groundbreaking for the new ballpark will be "April to June-ish." The article also states that no fees have been assessed by MLB as of yet for 2024 and includes a quote from Saunders that strongly implies MLB is anticipating the ballpark will open in 2026.

ETA: RTD article

Nice to hear that at least there's a target for when this rocket launches. I'm still worried, however, that the development authority needed to drive the bus on this - including issuing bonds, etc - STILL (apparently) has not been formed (assuming that its formation would immediately garner publication). What's more - and again, I'm no CRE or construction guru - I'm still puzzled what's driving up construction costs when the economic situation has been stabilizing with regard to supply chain problems, interest rates, inflation, etc. HOW is it that despite the situation leveling off have projected costs of development of JUST the ballpark risen by approximately 65% based on the latest published figures vs what was originally projected in the course of just one year? That, to me, is just insane.

Again, I'm not a guru (and I don't play one on TV) - but it simply doesn't make sense that costs could rise THIS much in THIS short a period of time when the situation has been stabilizing.

Edited by I miss RVA

32 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

What's more - and again, I'm no CRE or construction guru - I'm still puzzled what's driving up construction costs when the economic situation has been stabilizing with regard to supply chain problems, interest rates, inflation, etc. HOW is it that despite the situation leveling off have projected costs of development of JUST the ballpark risen by approximately 65% based on the latest published figures vs what was originally projected in the course of just one year? That, to me, is just insane.

No clue how much the Squirrels themselves taking over the lead on the design has to do with it, but the answer probably isn't "none."

ETA: Also, every stadium project in history has had escalating costs.

Edited by Flood Zone

3 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

Nice to hear that at least there's a target for when this rocket launches. I'm still worried, however, that the development authority needed to drive the bus on this - including issuing bonds, etc - STILL (apparently) has not been formed (assuming that its formation would immediately garner publication). What's more - and again, I'm no CRE or construction guru - I'm still puzzled what's driving up construction costs when the economic situation has been stabilizing with regard to supply chain problems, interest rates, inflation, etc. HOW is it that despite the situation leveling off have projected costs of development of JUST the ballpark risen by approximately 65% based on the latest published figures vs what was originally projected in the course of just one year? That, to me, is just insane.

Again, I'm not a guru (and I don't play one on TV) - but it simply doesn't make sense that costs could rise THIS much in THIS short a period of time when the situation has been stabilizing.

That’s the power an interest rate has, even .001% can move the cost needle up quite a bit.  Not to mention out of control inflation. It’s not surprising to me. 

Between interest rates cost of labor that would be your two largest expenses. Hourly rates and any ot you fork out to company staff is a dagger. I love making ot but I know it’s always when you’re in a crunch during new construction. The he only time I was ever offered ot in new construction as was anyone was when we were in a crunch trying to complete a job. I’m now a maintenance tech here in the Winchester va metro for a hospital system. Love it and glad I got out of new construction my knees and shoulders from playing high school football and baseball has made it difficult as I’ve gotten older just turned 35 in November. 

I told my wife I would love to buy a newer truck than I have now but that interest rate is telling me no way at all will I pay that interest rate. 

19 hours ago, eandslee said:

That’s the power an interest rate has, even .001% can move the cost needle up quite a bit.  Not to mention out of control inflation. It’s not surprising to me. 

Respectfully, your argument would make more sense if it was factual. From where are you getting this "out of control" trope regarding inflation? Year-over-year inflation has been trending steadily downward for the past 18 months from a June 2022 high of 9.1% over prior year to 3.4% last month vs December 2022 - a pullback of nearly six points. I realize certain segments of the MSM adamantly refuse to acknowledge - much less report - these facts for WHATEVER reason (the most obvious being political) - and that certain segments of social media promulgate counter-factual narratives for what can only be - again - a specific political agenda.

Expecting prices to magically drop back to pre-pandemic levels is simply unrealistic by any measure. Year-over-year price increases of around 2% are considered standard and nominal - which is why most companies when preparing budgets (particularly salary calculations) factor in COLAs of around 2.1% on average. We're still a bit north of one percent above "average" at this time, and there are certain sectors that have been slower to recover than others. This more modest elevation has been reflected, for example, in the COLA for folks receiving Social Security and SSDI benefits. Recipients received a bump-up of 3.2% in their monthly disbursements for 2024 (If I recall correctly, that increase for 2023 was something like 8.2%).

Kiplinger is forecasting that inflation will -- in all likelihood -- fall quickly over the first quarter of this year which should have an immediate -- positive -- impact on interest rates. If this pullback does come to pass, we could see the first Fed cut in the prime rate come as early as the end of March. You will recall that both the Fed and most leading economists have forecast upwards of at least three cuts to the prime rate this year. 

I'm no guru whatsoever regarding CRE costs - but generally the reports from industry sources I've been reading are indicating that prices stabilized for the most part in 2023, supply chain issues have been slowly recovering and further price stabilization is forecast for 2024. Some sectors will experience modest price increases - but from everything I've read so far, no one is anticipating big spikes like we saw during and in the immediate wake of the pandemic. Two factors that are still impacting costs are elevated demand for product as construction ramps up - and ongoing labor shortages.

None of this is going to be cured overnight - but it's clear that the economic environment has improved significantly from the disaster of what was a once-in-a-century GLOBAL pandemic - and a completely immoral, unprovoked war of aggression in Eastern Europe, both of which had huge impacts on supply chains, availability of product, labor, etc.

I don't normally clap back on your posts, @eandsleebut I have to call this out, because this "out of control" trope is simply not tethered in solid facts and calls into question the news source(s) promulgating this.

Again, offered with all due respect and friendship.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

Respectfully, your argument would make more sense if it was factual. From where are you getting this "out of control" trope regarding inflation? Year-over-year inflation has been trending steadily downward for the past 18 months from a June 2022 high of 9.1% over prior year to 3.4% last month vs December 2022 - a pullback of nearly six points. I realize certain segments of the MSM adamantly refuse to acknowledge - much less report - these facts for WHATEVER reason (the most obvious being political) - and that certain segments of social media promulgate counter-factual narratives for what can only be - again - a specific political agenda.

Expecting prices to magically drop back to pre-pandemic levels is simply unrealistic by any measure. Year-over-year price increases of around 2% are considered standard and nominal - which is why most companies when preparing budgets (particularly salary calculations) factor in COLAs of around 2.1% on average. We're still a bit north of one percent above "average" at this time, and there are certain sectors that have been slower to recover than others. This more modest elevation has been reflected, for example, in the COLA for folks receiving Social Security and SSDI benefits. Recipients received a bump-up of 3.2% in their monthly disbursements for 2024 (If I recall correctly, that increase for 2023 was something like 8.2%).

Kiplinger is forecasting that inflation will -- in all likelihood -- fall quickly over the first quarter of this year which should have an immediate -- positive -- impact on interest rates. If this pullback does come to pass, we could see the first Fed cut in the prime rate as early as the end of March. You will recall that both the Fed and most leading economists have forecast upwards of at least three cuts to the prime rate this year. 

I'm no guru whatsoever regarding CRE costs - but generally the reports from industry sources I've been reading are indicating that prices stabilized for the most part in 2023, supply chain issues have been slowly recovering and further price stabilization is forecast for 2024. Some sectors will experience modest price increases - but from everything I've read so far, no one is anticipating big spikes like we saw during and in the immediate wake of the pandemic. Two factors that are still impacting costs are elevated demand for product as construction ramps up - and ongoing labor shortages.

None of this is going to be cured overnight - but it's clear that the economic environment has improved significantly from the disaster of what was a once-in-a-century GLOBAL pandemic - and a completely immoral, unprovoked war of aggression in Eastern Europe, both of which had huge impacts on supply chains, availability of product, labor, etc.

I don't normally clap back on your posts, @eandsleebut I have to call this out, because this "out of control" trope is simply not tethered in solid facts and calls into question the news source(s) promulgating this.

Again, offered with all due respect and friendship.

Copy your response, but you've outlined exactly why everything costs so much more these days than before the pandemic.  I can speak from personal experience and I tell you - I'm not paying less for ANYTHING these days!  It sucks!  Also, in my experience, I've seen that once a product or service increases in price it rarely, if ever, comes back down to where it started before the price spike.  No doubt we are still in a situation where inflation is above the normal average (anything above the average in my book, is not acceptable).  As for construction labor, a shortage of laborers (labor demand) and demand for increased salary/labor pay (due to inflation) has increased the cost of construction (amongst other factors).  Once someone is paid a certain rate, they will not do the same job for less than that highest pay rate (I wouldn't either).  So don't expect labor costs to go down, ever.  I just hope it doesn't increase any more for a very long time.  All of this is due to the crazy inflation we've seen in our country over the past several years.  I'm just speaking from personal experience and bottom line:  it costs me way more to live day-to-day than it did in 2019 and I have not felt much, if any, relief.  To me, that translates to mean that inflation still affects (negatively) my buying power.  The same applies for any development project out there and is a reason why it still costs way more than it used to!

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, eandslee said:

Copy your response, but you've outlined exactly why everything costs so much more these days than before the pandemic.  I can speak from personal experience and I tell you - I'm not paying less for ANYTHING these days!  It sucks!  Also, in my experience, I've seen that once a product or service increases in price it rarely, if ever, comes back down to where it started before the price spike.  No doubt we are still in a situation where inflation is above the normal average (anything above the average in my book, is not acceptable).  As for construction labor, a shortage of laborers (labor demand) and demand for increased salary/labor pay (due to inflation) has increased the cost of construction (amongst other factors).  Once someone is paid a certain rate, they will not do the same job for less than that highest pay rate (I wouldn't either).  So don't expect labor costs to go down, ever.  I just hope it doesn't increase any more for a very long time.  All of this is due to the crazy inflation we've seen in our country over the past several years.  I'm just speaking from personal experience and bottom line:  it costs me way more to live day-to-day than it did in 2019 and I have not felt much, if any, relief.  To me, that translates to mean that inflation still affects (negatively) my buying power.  The same applies for any development project out there and is a reason why it still costs way more than it used to!

I hear you - and yeah, it DOES suck. But something to remember: overall, goods and services would cost more in 2024 than they did five years ago even had there NOT been a pandemic - the difference being how much more expensive things would be, based on "nominal" average annual inflation. Again, most COLAs have typically come in around 2.1% annually to "more-or-less" match increases in the cost of living. What has driven costs significantly higher than we would have expected over the course of the last five years is the catastrophic effect of the pandemic, and Putin's unjust, immoral war of aggression, both of which completely train-wrecked the GLOBAL economy (this isn't just a U.S. problem - AND - the U.S. has actually fared significantly better than many places internationally in terms of overall post-pandemic economic recovery).

Honestly, I do sympathize with you. I'm going through it too, as much as the next person. But what I have a problem with are these various "sky is falling" tropes and talking points that certain elements of the MSM are more than happy to promulgate to rile up audiences, drive clicks, views, reads, etc., in the age-old game of profiteering. As a former AP reporter, I simply cannot accept these tropes, particularly when it can be proven that they are not tethered in facts. To me, at the end of the day, facts matter. Not tropes. So when I hear folks talk about "runaway inflation" in 2024 - I take issue with it. The facts simply don't back up that narrative, particularly when we use 2020, 2021 and 2022 as a gauge, when inflation DID jump explosively. This description of the state of play may have been applicable two, three or four years ago - but it's not accurate today.

My friend, I'm not doubting that you are feeling a pinch - even a significant one. Isn't the part of the state you live in one of the more expensive areas in Virginia? Where I live -- Chicago -- ain't exactly the cheapest city on God's green earth. Guarantee you it's cheaper to live in Richmond than it is here. Probably by a fair amount. I hear you - and I feel you, brother. Will we see pre-pandemic pricing? No  and it's not even remotely realistic or reasonable to expect that we would. In what universe would ANYONE expect that to happen? That's not reality. And, as I said at the outset of this post, prices and costs would be higher even had there been no pandemic. Mind you, I do tend to think we'll see things adjust and shake out - hopefully faster and sooner rather than slower and later. 

What I'd like to drive home is that I do tend to believe - based on forecasts from economic experts who don't have skin in the game in terms of having "something to get out of it" - that 2024 WILL see costs come down in certain sectors, that the rate of inflation WILL fall back closer to a nominal average, that interest rates WILL begin to come down. This should spell good news for all of us - not just individually but also from the standpoint of our wanting projects to get back underway. I do tend to think 2024 could be the year RVA construction really ramps back up - and that the pipeline begins to see significant movement of projects that have been sitting dormant waiting for economic conditions to improve. And at the end of the day, for those of us who love the River City, that should be music to our ears!

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I hear you - and yeah, it DOES suck. But something to remember: overall, goods and services would cost more in 2024 than they did five years ago even had there NOT been a pandemic - the difference being how much more expensive things would be, based on "nominal" average annual inflation. Again, most COLAs have typically come in around 2.1% annually to "more-or-less" match increases in the cost of living. What has driven costs significantly higher than we would have expected over the course of the last five years is the catastrophic effect of the pandemic, and Putin's unjust, immoral war of aggression, both of which completely train-wrecked the GLOBAL economy (this isn't just a U.S. problem - AND - the U.S. has actually fared significantly better than many places internationally in terms of overall post-pandemic economic recovery).

Honestly, I do sympathize with you. I'm going through it too, as much as the next person. But what I have a problem with are these various "sky is falling" tropes and talking points that certain elements of the MSM are more than happy to promulgate to rile up audiences, drive clicks, views, reads, etc., in the age-old game of profiteering. As a former AP reporter, I can't accept these tropes, particularly when it can be proven that they are not tethered in fact. To me, at the end of the day, facts matter. Not tropes. So when I hear folks talk about "runaway inflation" in 2024 - I take issue with it. The facts simply don't back up that narrative, particularly when we use 2020, 2021 and 2022 as a gauge, when inflation DID jump explosively. This may have been applicable two, three or four years ago - but it's not accurate today.

My friend, I'm not doubting that you are feeling a pinch - even a significant one. Isn't the part of the state you live in one of the more expensive areas in Virginia? Where I live -- Chicago -- ain't exactly the cheapest city on God's green earth. Guarantee you it's cheaper to live in Richmond than it is here. Probably by a fair amount. I hear you - and I feel you, brother. Will we see pre-pandemic pricing? No  and it's not even remotely realistic or reasonable to expect that we would. In what universe would ANYONE expect that to happen? That's not reality. And, as I said at the outset of this post, prices and costs would be higher even had there been no pandemic. Mind you, I do tend to think we'll see things adjust and shake out - hopefully faster and sooner rather than slower and later. 

What I'd like to drive home is that I do tend to believe - based on forecasts from economic experts who don't have skin in the game in terms of being having what to "get something out of it" - that 2024 WILL see costs come down in certain sectors, that the rate of inflation WILL fall back closer to a nominal average, that interest rates WILL begin to come down. This should spell good news for all of us - not just individually but also from the standpoint of our wanting projects to get back underway. I do tend to think 2024 could be the year RVA construction really ramps back up - and that the pipeline begins to see significant movement of projects that have been sitting dormant waiting for economic conditions to improve. And at the end of the day, for those of us who love the River City, that should be music to our ears!

To be completely honest, I don’t even watch or listen to any news (MSM or any other media). I just can’t in this town - it would drive me bonkers because it’s all around me and it’s just too emotionally charging and destructive to my mental state.  I just try to stay away from all the politics that drives one way of thinking or another.  Instead, I think for myself and what makes sense. I don’t need anyone to tell me how I should think.  My thoughts are based off of my personal experiences.  I get that I wouldn’t pay the same today that I would have several years ago, but these last several years have been especially painful (more so than any time in recent memory)…for whatever reason (you all can draw your own conclusions on who or what is to blame…I’m not trying to point fingers; this is not the forum for that).  

With that said, I stand firmly beside you in the hope that things get better:  that inflation drops and is controlled, interest rates fall enough to make a difference, etc. so that developments in RVA will ramp up more than now and so that developing in RVA is a more attractive proposition to developers!  We’ve got so much more growing to do and we cannot afford these sped bumps that slow growth down.  I hate to see great proposed projects just die in the vine (like the Admiral), but things have to pencil and that is less likely to happen in an economic environment that is not conducive to projects penciling. The environment still has some changing to do.  My hope is that it happens sooner than later!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, eandslee said:

To be completely honest, I don’t even watch or listen to any news (MSM or any other media). I just can’t in this town - it would drive me bonkers because it’s all around me and it’s just too emotionally charging and destructive to my mental state.  I just try to stay away from all the politics that drives one way of thinking or another.  Instead, I think for myself and what makes sense. I don’t need anyone to tell me how I should think.  My thoughts are based off of my personal experiences.  I get that I wouldn’t pay the same today that I would have several years ago, but these last several years have been especially painful (more so than any time in recent memory)…for whatever reason (you all can draw your own conclusions on who or what is to blame…I’m not trying to point fingers; this is not the forum for that).  

With that said, I stand firmly beside you in the hope that things get better:  that inflation drops and is controlled, interest rates fall enough to make a difference, etc. so that developments in RVA will ramp up more than now and so that developing in RVA is a more attractive proposition to developers!  We’ve got so much more growing to do and we cannot afford these sped bumps that slow growth down.  I hate to see great proposed projects just die in the vine (like the Admiral), but things have to pencil and that is less likely to happen in an economic environment that is not conducive to projects penciling. The environment still has some changing to do.  My hope is that it happens sooner than later!

I'm 100% with you, brother. No argument from me at all. Well said. :tw_thumbsup:

Based on the analysis of economic experts, my own conclusion is that we have a lot to look forward to this year. It's very reasonable to suggest that 2024 will be a banner year for RVA. CONSIDER - that even during the last few years of economic difficulty, development in RVA may have slowed some - but it has not stopped, even with the tabling of a handful of projects. It's still be chugging along. How much more so will it chug along with continued reduction in year-over-year inflation and the lowering of interest rates! We DO have a lot of growing to do - and that will require landing some "big fish" developments - huge job producers. Hopefully improving economic conditions will make RVA all the more inviting to snagging an HQ2, a huge manufacturing center, a corporate relo - SOMETHING - that will inject something closer to 10,000 jobs (or more) into the RVA economy to help amp up growth here. We need to do what our competitors are doing in raking in BIG job producing companies. If Greater Richmond Partnership (among others) can make that happen, then sky is the limit on what we can do.

Let's go get 'em!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

I'm 100% with you, brother. No argument from me at all. Well said. :tw_thumbsup:

Based on the analysis of economic experts, my own conclusion is that we have a lot to look forward to this year. It's very reasonable to suggest that 2024 will be a banner year for RVA. CONSIDER - that even during the last few years of economic difficulty, development in RVA may have slowed some - but it has not stopped, even with the tabling of a handful of projects. It's still be chugging along. How much more so will it chug along with continued reduction in year-over-year inflation and the lowering of interest rates! We DO have a lot of growing to do - and that will require landing some "big fish" developments - huge job producers. Hopefully improving economic conditions will make RVA all the more inviting to snagging an HQ2, a huge manufacturing center, a corporate relo - SOMETHING - that will inject something closer to 10,000 jobs (or more) into the RVA economy to help amp up growth here. We need to do what our competitors are doing in raking in BIG job producing companies. If Greater Richmond Partnership (among others) can make that happen, then sky is the limit on what we can do.

Let's go get 'em!

Love it!  Couldn’t agree more!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, 123fakestreet said:

https://richmondbizsense.com/2024/02/08/city-completes-initial-land-transfers-for-diamond-district-project/

Land transferred from city to EDA. Still now needs to be transferred from the EDA to the developer before work can begin. Also not sure why this wasn't done OVER A YEAR AGO but at least there is movement.

Seriously!  Talk about a snail’s pace!  They need to pick up speed now to make sure all is in place for the earliest groundbreaking.  

I still want to see a final rendering of what the stadium will look like. I think the design is still in work, but I hope they aren’t just slapping it haphazardly together. It needs to be well thought out and designed for the future!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I still want to see a final rendering of what the stadium will look like. I think the design is still in work, but I hope they aren’t just slapping it haphazardly together.

That part is on the Squirrels, right? They took over the design aspect fairly late in the game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

That part is on the Squirrels, right? They took over the design aspect fairly late in the game.

Yes…well, the way I understand it is that the squirrels have a huge say in how it will be designed. The design team is a company out of Charlotte (the name escapes me right now though). 

• Like 1

I've been mostly uninvolved in the discussions about the Diamond area except to hate on Thalhimer parking lot strip mall development on Ashe Blvd - which we all should take time out of our day to show our disdain but I digress. Yesterday, I drove from Diversity Thrift to Ash Blvd going through so many warehouses that look empty and/or used for parking by semi trucks. Acres and acres, blocks and blocks of nothing but future potential there. There is so much to develop that we really could build a whole new city - Richmond really could become a 3 city city with Manchester, RVA "city", and Diamond all acting as their own sub cities. 

I'm a little sad that a big chunk of this will be reserved for VCU and sports but at least something is being done I guess. Could have really built out, again, a whole new city over there. So much space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, eandslee said:

Yes…well, the way I understand it is that the squirrels have a huge say in how it will be designed. The design team is a company out of Charlotte (the name escapes me right now though). 

Odell Associates.

Yeah, we're on the same page - of course the Squirrels aren't actually designing it (Parney is talented, but ....). However, based on the reporting, it's undeniable that MLB modified the design process and "amplified" the Squirrels' input late last summer/early fall, which led to Odell replacing DLR Group. That has to account for some level of delay, at least as far as seeing a rendering would go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Flood Zone said:

Odell Associates.

Yeah, we're on the same page - of course the Squirrels aren't actually designing it (Parney is talented, but ....). However, based on the reporting, it's undeniable that MLB modified the design process and "amplified" the Squirrels' input late last summer/early fall, which led to Odell replacing DLR Group. That has to account for some level of delay, at least as far as seeing a rendering would go.

Yep, that’s it…Odell Associates!  Yes you are correct on all you mentioned as far as I have read and learned - definitely on the same page.  

I just hope I’m pleasantly surprised by the design and amenities to enhance the fan experience.  I really don’t want to be disappointed.  This is the ONE chance they have to get it right because this is the way it will be for the next 40-50 years!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, eandslee said:

I just hope I’m pleasantly surprised by the design and amenities to enhance the fan experience.  I really don’t want to be disappointed.  This is the ONE chance they have to get it right because this is the way it will be for the next 40-50 years!

The fact that this city has handed much of the design control over to someone, anyone else, is promising.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ancientcarpenter said:

I've been mostly uninvolved in the discussions about the Diamond area except to hate on Thalhimer parking lot strip mall development on Ashe Blvd - which we all should take time out of our day to show our disdain but I digress. Yesterday, I drove from Diversity Thrift to Ash Blvd going through so many warehouses that look empty and/or used for parking by semi trucks. Acres and acres, blocks and blocks of nothing but future potential there. There is so much to develop that we really could build a whole new city - Richmond really could become a 3 city city with Manchester, RVA "city", and Diamond all acting as their own sub cities. 

I'm a little sad that a big chunk of this will be reserved for VCU and sports but at least something is being done I guess. Could have really built out, again, a whole new city over there. So much space. 

Fully agreed, @ancientcarpenter. What you're describing - specific "urban core 'nodes'" - which are something akin to separate "downtowns" with their own individual and distinctive skylines. It's something we see in cities like Atlanta (two -- maybe three? -- nodes) and Houston (three -- maybe four? -- nodes). We definitely could see something like this with downtown as the primary "node", Manchester as one, the Diamond District as one. Heck - even a suburban "node" - depending on what happens down the road in Westwood or with Willow Lawn.

Even though it's not in a single city, we see this all over NOVA. Reston, Tysons, Pentagon City, Rosslyn are the first ones that come to mind. There are multiple "nodes" where there are clusters of high-rises in multiple locations/jurisdictions in NOVA.

Indeed, what you're describing could very well become RVA's version of these "nodes" or separate "urban cores".

• Like 1

Awesome photos!!  Do you have a drone and are these your pics?  Way cool - different perspective than I would get otherwise on the ground!  I’m sure some silver hardware is coming your way!  Man, keep this stuff coming!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RiverYuppy said:

I got some pics from 02/02/24. 

First up is everybody's favorite strip development on AA. You can see the planned 7 story apartment lot being used for temporary construction parking/supply storage.

DJI_0009.thumb.JPG.e94e17d2469f9169f875c915ce67fee4.JPG

DJI_0010.thumb.JPG.3963b7dce8255e766e3f2a1ccddab63a.JPG

DJI_0011.thumb.JPG.07f8930a8240c057674a7c4a62ad1828.JPG

Just down the road we can see the Novel Scotts Addition under development. We can also see the Greyhound which is slated for redevelopment.

These pictures are taken right next to the Diamond to give a reference point.

DJI_0013.thumb.JPG.0dc3c01b053ffb18cef8c73df0c3cd1f.JPG

DJI_0014.thumb.JPG.1956d59d30df4f0eb7b8bb6dcf3c6c47.JPG

DJI_0012.thumb.JPG.f2c7437fb75f868146810fd1e94c6aee.JPG

Also here is some pictures of Brewers Row. You can also see an old warehouse converted into apartments prior to 2020.

DJI_0015.thumb.JPG.c1213f814f76ecc202a50a942fc64be1.JPG

EDIT: Looking at the warehouse apartment conversion, it has quite a bit of solar panels, which is cool. glass roofs are for very cool open air courtyards.

DJI_0016.thumb.JPG.c79f5a09551c53ec612e39f9d131ac70.JPG

And here is a picture of The Park RVA

DJI_0017.JPG

Holy dronemeister, Batman!

@RiverYuppy - just amazing. And @eandslee is correct. Between this outstanding collection of dronography and the awesome Monroe Ward pix of the Parc View Commonwealth - a freshly minted, shiny, new slab of RVA/UP Silver Hardware is being loaded into the shipping crate as we speak and will be on the way shortly to you shortly. Well done, my friend - a heartfelt MAZAL TOV!! image.jpeg.773533740988f7ecca90d447d2b4b20e.jpeg

OH- and btw - the parcel on Ellen Road where the new 7-story apartment building is slated to rise - looks like it's been pretty much fully cleared to make way for the new building. Not sure what the status is and how much of the equipment on that site is related to the Thalhimer drivethru project - but - it looks to my untrained eye as if it's related to site clearance and prep - which says to my layman's mind that, in fact, that apartment building MIGHT be fairly close to breaking ground? Maybe?

Does anyone have the 4-1-1 on where this project currently stands?

Below is a screen grab of the now-cleared building that was on the site.

image.png.5c61e6aaf34c7bd8fe21da160f7d11d6.png

Screenshot (3945).png

Rather thorough update from Richmond Bizsense.

Per the article, Machete Group (the 2nd-place finisher) stepped up as design consultant for the ballpark after the Squirrels got their expanded say in the design. I see this as a good sign because, based purely on the sketches, Machete’s looked the best by far.

Lots of other stuff in the article

RBS desperately needs a new photo for the Thalheimer guy. I’m really tired of looking at that picture.

• Like 4

Does anyone have a rendering of the ballpark under the Machete group at the ready?  I remember that one of them looked pretty good, but can’t remember which one.  

Also, it’s just good to see some more positive movement on this.  The quicker they can get this thing going the quicker the City can get to addressing the City Center development which could have a much greater impact on the skyline!

• Like 2