Carver District / Newtowne West / Allison District

whw53

image.png.325671f6e8fbcb9c190ea019b47af8e3.png

looking at the development, the green is the large project already completed, the yellow are nice currently used areas I don't see them redeveloping, and the red is all to be developed.  I imagine they will close Marshall and the southern portion of Meadow and and have some pedestrian only streets areas between the buildings to replace them, while possibly connecting Clay all the way to Allen and north Meadow to Leigh (or continuing Dineen).

I have to imagine Trying to buy that propane site on hermitage from Massey wood and west had to be a giant pain in the arse. I worked for them starting off as an hvac apprentice before i unexpectedly decided to go into the electrician industry. Those guys are absolute arseholes. The one guy I was with that was training  me was the nicest person and we were good pals and still are even though I no longer live in Richmond. He said if it wasn’t for him staying around they would be done for because he was the only guy who would do service work for them. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 9:41 AM, whw53 said:

Fencing was going up yesterday for the Spy Rock project. 

This thing is moving along, seems like they announced it less than 6 months ago, fencing went up, site work started. I wish every project went like this. We've got quite a few that were announced 2+ years ago and not a thing has been done at the site.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

This thing is moving along, seems like they announced it less than 6 months ago, fencing went up, site work started. I wish every project went like this. We've got quite a few that were announced 2+ years ago and not a thing has been done at the site.

And the longer these projects sit with zero movement, the more I worry they'll get truncated or scuttled altogether. Witness the project formerly known as The Admiral (canceled, property up for sale) and 512 Hull Street (truncated from 12 stories to five stories - although I will say that this project was legitimately a victim of the pandemic - I don't fault the developer on what happened - and he did end up constructing a pretty nice looking building - just not a 12-story building).

Edited by I miss RVA

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

I can't wait to see ground broken, shovels turning dirt and cranes - and buildings - rising.

There's a ton of work being done on the East Leigh St side of the proposed development - the first street north of it. Massive dug up holes that look like they are a hundred feet long, almost like they are putting down big pipes. I've never seen holes that big... not to say I'm any kind of expert on hole sizes. I'll try to take a pic ASAP.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, ancientcarpenter said:

There's a ton of work being done on the East Leigh St side of the proposed development - the first street north of it. Massive dug up holes that look like they are a hundred feet long, almost like they are putting down big pipes. I've never seen holes that big... not to say I'm any kind of expert on hole sizes. I'll try to take a pic ASAP.

Maybe the city is redoing the sewer line there? I'd imagine that there are a lot of necessary infrastructure upgrades that need to be made given all the new development getting ready to start popping in this neighborhood (not just the Sauers' project). Wow... amazing to see things moving forward in this part of town.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ancientcarpenter said:

Utility work.  Perhaps installing mains.   Are pipe being installed precast?

Edited by Shakman
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...