whw53

2 hours ago, rjp212 said:

Is the lot necessarily important? If I remember correctly, the lot was to be an addition to the originally planned memorial.

Honestly, I was disappointed to see their plan using the Lovings' lots as it, in my opinion, spread the project out too much wasting more land than appropriate.  That land could instead be generating increased taxes from the improved value due to the museum.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

My biggest concern is that the city -- as usual -- will allow this to completely derail any/all momentum to even do this project. If this lot isn't necessary, then why not just bag it and proceed as originally planned?

Totally agree.  The slavery museum in Richmond has had a few false starts.  Charleston has a slavery museum and the African-American History Museum in DC addresses it (I've heard that New Orleans is considering one too).  If this drags out another 5-10 years, Richmond may miss its opportunity.

Instead of spending the money on acquiring the Loving land, apply it to the original plan and make it a world-class experience.  The last thing Richmond needs is the museum equivalent of the Sixth Street Marketplace, so do it right and make it impactful.

Edited by Wahoo 07
  • Like 4

Oh yeah - I remember this one now...it wraps around what was once called The Flood Zone (back in my day) and Have a Nice Day Cafe.  Was wondering when this one would get off the ground!  Should be some heights similar to the buildings around it is my guess.  This is Shockoe Bottom after all, so it won't be probably more than 7-8 stories.  What is the height limit for the TOD-1 anyway...10/12 stories?

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like hotel plan scrapped for the Weiman bakery site. Demolition permit this week would remove 3 of the 4 buildings on the site and alludes to forthcoming application for apartment project here. I imagine the 1 story buildings are being removed and the 2 story structure with the Weiman's logo will remain. Look forward to seeing the site plan and project renderings for this one. Ha, could be owner moving fast before city tries to seize their land to. 

127N17th_permit.jpg

127N17th_parcel.jpg

127N17th_aerial.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

Another private sector driven rezoning filed this week in the Bottom - application would take these 3 properties at 22nd & Main to urban B-5 district.  I believe this to decouple the parking arrangements in order to build on that lot. Note B-5 has a height limit of 5 or 6 stories.

RZON2126emAIN_PERMIT.jpg

RZON2126emAIN_PARCEL.jpg

RZON2126emAIN_AERIAL.jpg

Edited by whw53
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Also of note, the old used tire shop and food truck lot down the street at 2500-2518 E. Main has been fenced off since around summer.  I have yet to find any plans, etc. in relation to the property but it is all owned by EAST MAIN STREET REALTY LLC AND STONEMAN SUSAN K ESQ TRS.  The land is advertised for lease as of December (note the photoshopped apartment building into the location of Main 2525):
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2506-2518-E-Main-St-Richmond-VA/14769131/

2506-2518 E Main St, Richmond, VA for lease - Aerial - Image 1 of 4

image.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, whw53 said:

An update on the Shockoe Small Area Plan was presented to the Planning Commission last night. Contained a nice rendering of development potential even up farther up into the Shockoe Valley and how the proposal for the memorial fits in behind the farmer's market.

Full presentation here- https://richmondva.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=4806038&GUID=DB4A68AD-7F85-42A1-A65C-758DE9341329&Options=&Search=

Screenshot 2021-03-02 085101.jpg

Note the height they are pushing for the 18th and Main lot.  Perhaps 10 floors?

EDIT: Though the image appears taller than its 8 story neighbor the lot appears to be limited to 8 floors.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, eandslee said:

Wow!  Love the renderings of Linear Park in the presentation too!  Look at all that color!

Also, as you all know, I'm all for some additional height as well!

I'm actually digging the memorial layout a bit more after seeing this. It looks like part of the proposal is to expand the farmers market to a covered portion and include subsidized housing in new construction at 18th  Broad. More functional - and vertical - than some of those early renderings\discussion alluded to.  

Note it includes a massing as well for the Weiman Bakery site as 'Hotel Development'. We have hint now that this will be a residential project - not hotel. 

• Like 4

This is quite impressive! Very cohesive plan -- falls in line with Richmond 300. I like the massing east of I-95/north of Broad Street - and 12-story max development certainly is exciting. This looks like it could really be transformative to the Bottom and Shockoe Valley - and probably be a catalyst for further high-density development in the immediate vicinity.

From Richmond BizSense: Edgeworth Building sold to a NYC buyer for $30M. Will be interesting to see what comes of this. Building currently being used for office space and is 95% leased. Curious how that has been impacted by the pandemic.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/04/edgeworth-building-in-shockoe-bottom-sells-for-nearly-30m-to-nyc-buyer/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2021 at 12:24 AM, I miss RVA said:

From today's Richmond BizSense: Watkins-Cottrell buildings are for sale. If you happen to have a crisp $10.5 M laying around, they can be yours!

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/03/24/ladiff-anchored-watkins-cottrell-buildings-hit-market-for-10-5m/

Let me ask Icetera for 0% interest loan.

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

Saw this on RBS this afternoon.  The decision Council makes on this could have HUGE implications on development in the area.  I really hope it passes.  Anyone heard any information on whether or not it passed?

Shockoe Bottom, ‘Greater Scott’s Addition’ rezonings on city agenda

The Richmond Planning Commission meets at 1:30 p.m. Monday. 

Lovings Produce LLC seeks to rezone properties at 300, 400 and 510 Oliver Hill Way from industrial use to the TOD-1 Transit-Oriented Nodal District. The rezoning would potentially make way for a mixed-use development that could bring a new large retailer to the neighborhood.

Edited by eandslee
  • Like 2