whw53

3 hours ago, Hike said:

Ahh, yes, the architect for children block set. The other option was,  hey,  unroll those blue prints from the basement table,  blow off the dust, cough, yep,  that's the one, draw it up in auto cad? No,  just send it to the the city as is, and done.

Well said! 

• Thanks 1

There's been so much modern, contemporary architecture during this growth period, having a hard time with this traditional structure. The train shed is a lot of glass, though historic, and if it comes to fruition, the Lumpkin site has considerable glass with elements that would compliment the train shed, just don't see this one blending well with these. 

• Like 3

It is amazing that we have reached a point where we can actually critique new towers versus just being excited about any tower.  I really hope both of Salomonsky's towers come out better than they look on paper.  Despite the design, I do love how this one is integrated.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, vaceltic said:

Putting a farmhouse-style cupola on a high rise structure is an absolutely ridiculous design aesthetic.

*barf*

If this gets built at its proposed height in Shockoe Bottom, then maybe a pig will fly out of that farmhouse style cupola.

Edited by Shakman
  • Haha 2

Rezoning filed this week would take the plot of land at intersection of Cary & Pear st from industrial to central business zoning (B-5). Hasn't there been proposals on this site before? B-5 has a height limit of 5 stories.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/404ae7c4-2dd0-49b7-a248-f6718178da4e

PearSt_aerial.jpg

PearSt_parcel.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, whw53 said:

Rezoning filed this week would take the plot of land at intersection of Cary & Pear st from industrial to central business zoning (B-5). Hasn't there been proposals on this site before? B-5 has a height limit of 5 stories.

https://energov.richmondgov.com/EnerGov_Prod/selfservice#/plan/404ae7c4-2dd0-49b7-a248-f6718178da4e

PearSt_aerial.jpg

PearSt_parcel.jpg

The last proposal was around 14 floors if I recall correctly.  5 should theoretically avoid any opposition from the Upper-Hill-Class, though 6-8 would better match the surrounding developments.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Icetera said:

The last proposal was around 14 floors if I recall correctly.  5 should theoretically avoid any opposition from the Upper-Hill-Class, though 6-8 would better match the surrounding developments.

Right - and the 14-story project required an SUP - and the NIMBYs were like sharks smelling blood in the water. IF somehow we could get a project in the 6, 7 or 8 story range, the NIMBs might not kvetch too much because at least it would match surrounding buildings.

• Like 1

The developer for 1801 E. Main St. is aiming for a 11 story mixed-use development.  City planners are fine with up to 12.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/18/planning-commission-backs-projects-south-of-the-river-and-in-shockoe-bottom/

the commission also approved a rezoning request for a surface lot at 1801 E. Main St. in Shockoe Bottom.

seeking to rezone the lot to TOD-1 Transit-Oriented Nodal District. Their exact plans for the parcel have not been revealed, though their counsel, Hirschler’s Rob Benaicha, said at Monday’s meeting that they’re planning a “high-quality mixed-use project” and that they’re in the early stages of designing it.

They included a proffer in their rezoning application that would limit the building’s height to 11 stories, one fewer than what TOD-1 allows.

“Twelve is a number that is daunting for many people, but we believe 11 is all the density that we need to make a successful development at this site,” Benaicha said.

The 12-story height limit did not seem to daunt Commissioner Vik Murthy, who said he’d be fine approving the request without the 11-story proffer.

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Icetera said:

The developer for 1801 E. Main St. is aiming for a 11 story mixed-use development.  City planners are fine with up to 12.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/05/18/planning-commission-backs-projects-south-of-the-river-and-in-shockoe-bottom/

Funny because it sounded like the developer was “doing the city a favor” by keeping the height down...but then the city guy basically rebukes him and says “Hey, we only have so much real estate - we have to put as much into each piece of real estate we have if we are to get the most out of it!”  Something to that effect.  My reaction:  “Man, Richmond certainly is changing!  They would have preferred a taller building to maximize the allowable height!”  Slap that developer and build it just one more story higher!  Geez!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wrldcoupe4 said:

don't forget the 15 story one on Grace just east of Belvidere...

Oh yeah! Exactly!! We have to add that building into mix as well.  Not counting Manchester, that's six 11-plus story residential buildings that could be rising at more-or-less the same time frame. I'm surprised I forgot that one, actually. 

Anyway - this is the stuff of other - bigger cities. Not something we would typically think could happen in Richmond. But it's happening!! 

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

I must have missed this one, which one is this? I don't think it's on the development map either

Very recent:

On 5/18/2021 at 11:28 AM, RVA-Is-The-Best said:

“Twelve is a number that is daunting for many people"

That's not a sentence you hear very often. And even with context provided..

Oh yeah, when counting I skip 12 sometimes, that number really unsettles me. It may be the fact that it's divisible by so many different numbers, I mean 1,2,3,4,6! Harrowing

On 5/20/2021 at 10:55 PM, I miss RVA said:

The conditional rezoning here is to be amended and continued for consideration to the Council meeting on June 14th. Only 1 for 3 tonight - that's ok, let's get them in June!

• Thanks 3