whw53

Hey, I apologize if I came off harshly. I would distinguish european colonialism from Christianity - though I understand not everyone does. (I was trying to imagine how loving someone too much or turning the other cheek too quickly wiped out ancient african civilizations). The world changing subversion of normal power structures (the first shall be last, last shall be first etc.) had a huge positive impact on humanity, though that doesnt discount all the horrible things greedy people have done using religion (in general) as "cover". This isnt the place for this, if you're at all interested let me buy you lunch sometime and we can talk about all kinds of cool stuff :)

On 3/5/2024 at 11:30 AM, ancientcarpenter said:

Edit: I want to just say how wonderful it is that we are talking about this. We are not only challenging each other but also educating each other by spreading new knowledge that many of us (including myself) didn't know before. The national African museum is already doing its job and it hasn't even been built yet and this is a prime example - love it!

Amen brother

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rooster said:

...though that doesnt discount all the horrible things greedy people have done using religion (in general) as "cover".

Very true. And I believe it was the late, great, legendary George Carlin who said (back in the '90s and '00s): "More people have been killed in the name of God than for all other reasons combined."

Needless to say, Carlin and religion didn't exactly get along. image.png.36e76c3b6ac40f1233ba35d2b5f82d08.png

BTW, @Rooster, were it not for the fact that I'd have to catch a 2 1/2 hour flight from the Windy City, grab an Uber from RIC and then reverse the process and fly back here - I'd definitely take you up on your lunch offer.  image.png.31d9094ef81361fa235e4d3eb2d24719.png  Mind you, that's a lot of frequent-flier miles to grab lunch! (Although, true story, when he was young, Elvis periodically had his entourage power up his private jet and fly him from Memphis to Dallas and then back to Memphis again in the same day simply because he had a hankering for a certain greasy spoon's chili burgers - and the only restaurant that made them was located in Dallas.)

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, 123fakestreet said:

Bakery lofts skyline view

20240329_153224.jpg

HOHHHHH-LEEEEEEEEE MOHHHHHHHH-LEEEEEEEEEE!!! @123fakestreet - not only is this amazing shot an AUTOMATIC  piece of RVA/UP Silver Hardware for you, I'm nominating it for RVA/UP 2024 Photo of the Year (which if I can manage to keep a list of nominees then perhaps as a community we can vote for a winner in December!) - and I'm thinking that whoever's photo is voted as the Photo of the Year for 2024 - that individual will be awarded the ultra-rare RVA/UP GOLD Hardware at the end of the year. WOW...

This picture adds all the more to why we MUST MUST MUST MUST MUST SAVE the Monroe Building!!! I cannot imagine our skyline without it.

I'm adding this amazing photo to my "slideshow" of RVA photos that rotate through as part of my PC's desktop background.

image.png.53c7c44d69a33d0a4adc4737d60acafb.png

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 5:27 PM, Shakman said:

Hopefully the final product does not look that bland.

It shouldn't. If memory serves, the Icon looked pretty plain Jane until the final cladding was added. Once the cladding is on the sides and back of this building, it'll look a little more robust.

What we really need now is a few more of these Bakery Loft-size buildings in the Bottom.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...