Foundry Park - CoStar HQ

georgeglass

4 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Did someone say the elevation of this land where the costar tower will be was 85 feet? If so I just did the math and 425 feet plus 85 is 510? So what’s going on? 

No - our in-house data shows the elevation at the "center of the tower" to be 21m - which works out to 68.8 feet - just under 69 feet. So -- the numbers wouldn't add up. At best, using those metrics, the "observed" height -- presumably "above sea level height" -- would be 494 feet at best.

The 85' is the size of the discrepancy in the two figures - the one quoted in the media and the one on the CoStar site.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

No - our in-house data shows the elevation at the "center of the tower" to be 21m - which works out to 68.8 feet - just under 69 feet. So -- the numbers wouldn't add up. At best, using those metrics, the "observed" height -- presumably "above sea level height" -- would be 494 feet at best.

The 85' is the size of the discrepancy in the two figures - the one quoted in the media and the one on the CoStar site.

Oh nice. What in house data? I must be missing something. I’ve been trying to find some info on the properties elevation above sea level. Can’t find any info on it.

9 minutes ago, Downtowner said:

Oh nice. What in house data? I must be missing something. I’ve been trying to find some info on the properties elevation above sea level. Can’t find any info on it.

Ice has a spreadsheet. Have a look.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/120286-foundry-park-costar-hq/?do=findComment&comment=1779725

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, upzoningisgood said:

So, I don't think the fact that three sources all quote the 510 figure necessarily carries that much gravitas if they all attended the same press conference. If that 510 number was given at the press conference but is incorrect, all three outlets would report the same incorrect number. Occam's razor suggests that if the company announces on their website that the building is 425 feet and puts out pictures that show it being 425 feet, then the building is probably 425 feet and the press conference included the 510 figure by mistake.

I'm not disappointed, though. If they had originally announced the building at 340 feet and it got revised to 425, we would all be ecstatic. I'm not going to base my feelings about this on directionality--at the end of the day, it is probably 425 feet, and that represents a great building that will bring a ton of workers and that's great on its own. I'm happy with that.

Very good points - and hard to argue with them. I will say, however, I'd like some clarity on this so we can all put it to rest. And since it's being widely published that it will be 510' and the tallest in the state - if it's wrong, then those reports need to be corrected - and if it's correct, then there should be some kind of clarification (not to mention correction) the developer's website. Maybe it's the old journalist in me - but damnit, I want to know exactly who said 510' or from where this number was sourced. This is too big and too consequential - because if it's wrong, its being WIDELY reported incorrectly - and that makes everyone - COSTAR INCLUDED - look really bad.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, 123fakestreet said:

People talking about CapOne moving downtown... such a shame that West Creek campus was built when it was.  If they were building today it would almost definitely go downtown, both CapOne and CarMax. CarMax has already located a big chunk of employees over by Sauer Center because that's where Millennials and GenZ want to live and work, in the city, not way out in Goochland.  Had an opportunity for Altria to possibly move downtown too but they opted to expand their existing HQ.   What could have been.

Unfortunately I don't see another big company coming in and building a major office space like this again any time soon. What I do see is some residential density and height.  Those 3 whole blocks of surface lot next to each other in Monroe Ward between 3rd and 5th and the former Dominion site begging for big downtown residential towers. 

Like all of you, I’m so excited by this news.  

If Cap One moved downtown, I’d switch banks!!!!

1 hour ago, I miss RVA said:

So I just checked the digital "print" edition of the RTD - and they went to press with a huge, top of the fold, six-column banner headline lead story about the CoStar building with the really sweet rendering photo. They devoted quite a goodly number of column inches on the front page - and on page A-4. "Richmond's tallest skyscraper"

On A-4 - they are still reporting that the building being 510 feet tall, ranking as the tallest in the city.

If they -- or someone from CoStar -- or someone from either the city of state government got that figure wrong, there's gonna be a LOT of egg to be cleaned off more than a few faces. This figure is now WIDELY published - and what an embarrassment it would be to either the RTD, CoStar, or the government officials if this figure was wrong and a correction had to be published.

Screenshot (444).png

Screenshot (445).png

Screenshot (446).png

Love it.  

I found this news out while in an Uber on the East side of town (picture that skyline of downtown which looks very different with the new VCU Health construction).  

Im excited but I wish it were a 30-40 story tower that could be seen despite whichever side of town we are in… 

Virginia cities are far too conservative!!!

Still, I’m pleased! 

• Like 4

Imagine if Costar had less land, a smaller site. The 6 story conference facility in front of the highrise is a huge building, a smaller footprint and that would be on top of 26 floors. They've done a good job of filling up the property but by doing so have reduced height. Looks like they didn't want a stand alone tall building on an island, like their neighbor the Federal Reserve, and went with infill too.

Edited by Hike
  • Like 4

Okay, after sleeping on it, I thought I’d take a closer look at the rendering and here’s what I’m seeing:  If you look at the rendering taken from the Lee Bridge perspective (the one with the Fed to the right and DE to the back left), I counted the floors from the base of the tower to the top (before what is obviously the crown) and I only count/see 22 floors. If my theory is correct that this is an old rendering, then imagine 4 more floors and then a sizable crown added to what you see on the rendering (to get 26 actual floors plus a crown).  If that’s the case, then I can see this being 510 feet tall.   However, the rendering appears to show a 425 foot tower as drawn, but with only 22 actual floors instead of 26 as reported. 

Edited by eandslee
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

it is - but its crown of "undefeated" isn't secure - YET ... once we get some kind of confirmation, then we'll know for sure.

It’s a really strange disconnect, isn’t it? Normally I’d be all aboard the Occam’s Razor point and simply accept the CoStar announcement. I mean, that’s the best evidence of height, right? But neither the RTD nor RBS has corrected this yet, there’s been plenty of time to do so, and some here are starting to convince me that something got lost in the mix and announced an older version. Unlikely but possible.

(Either way, CoStar’s conditional boast about having the state’s tallest if Monroe gets dumped was weird.)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DowntownCoruscant said:

It’s a really strange disconnect, isn’t it? Normally I’d be all aboard the Occam’s Razor point and simply accept the CoStar announcement. I mean, that’s the best evidence of height, right? But neither the RTD nor RBS has corrected this yet, there’s been plenty of time to do so, and some here are starting to convince me that something got lost in the mix and announced an older version. Unlikely but possible.

(Either way, CoStar’s conditional boast about having the state’s tallest if Monroe gets dumped was weird.)

I don't get it either. Still - lets give it 'til first or middle of next week to see if anyone publishes a correction. If it was widely spoken at the presser yesterday that the building will be 1.) 510-feet tall, and 2.) the tallest in the city - and - 3.) (for now) the tallest in the state - and CoStar people are sitting right there (including the CEO who no doubt knows the right figure) and they didn't open their mouths to say anything, then I have to go with the 510 foot being the correct figure - particularly since it is now being WIDELY published. It's all over the RTD -- both online AND print versions - so if you happen to take the paper, the copy you got off your front porch this morning quotes 510' in two places - and touts the building in the banner headline as the tallest in RVA - and - has the special comparison box touting it as taller than Monroe, Dominion, Sun Trust, Fed, etc.  It's essentially now in print as being emblazoned on RVA's "Mount Rushmore" of tallest buildings - and it's being crowned king of the RVA skyscrapers. If we don't see any corrections published -- and if a checkout of sites like Emporis or other sites that track skyscrapers by cities publish the CoStar building in the "proposed/planned" and list it at 510' feet - then I'd suggest Occam might need to slip over to the Walgreens for a package of Schick disposables. IF the 510' figure doesn't get corrected -- GIVEN THAT IT'S BEING WIDELY PUBLISHED -- then I'd think we can safely go with 510'. 

I can't possibly imagine that CoStar would let their reputation be sullied by allowing the media to WIDELY PUBLISH the size, scope and significance of their epic downtown office tower with an incorrect figure and not step up to get it corrected quickly.  If they just let it slide and didn't say something, that would make them look like total schmucks

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 3

Listening to the CEO speak in the RTD article and then the NBC 12 article, a few interesting items. In the RTD video with the article,  he says the lower building is timber, will be 6 or 7 stories, like it's still in flux, makes me wonder how much is still being ironed out.  Also, the NBC video link,  he says the highrise building will be LEED certified and have solar glass panels generating a substantial amount of their own power, surprised Dominion didn't do this.  

Edited by Hike
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Hike said:

Listening to the CEO speak in the RTD article and then the NBC 12 article, a few interesting items. In the RTD video with the article,  he says the lower building is timber, will be 6 or 7 stories, like it's still in flux, makes me wonder how much is still being ironed out.  Also, the NBC video link,  he says the highrise building will be LEED certified and have solar glass panels generating a substantial amount of their own power, surprised Dominion didn't do this.  

Re: Dominion -- I agree. Especially considering that the same architect designed both buildings.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, I miss RVA said:

Re: Dominion -- I agree. Especially considering that the same architect designed both buildings.

It's probably expensive,  though Dominion could afford it or if they were concerned about the look of over spending they could have made up for that by presenting the value of solar and by being a good steward toward sustainable energy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjp212 said:

I think the parking garage along Byrd has a great opportunity to be redeveloped in the future. It doesn't utilize that block well.

The west side of 5th street could work for a low scale hotel or condos.  It would have to mesh with the American Civil War Center and leave the canal bed undisturbed.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, I miss RVA said:

I can't possibly imagine that CoStar would let their reputation be sullied by allowing the media to WIDELY PUBLISH the size, scope and significance of their epic downtown office tower with an incorrect figure and not step up to get it corrected quickly.  If they just let it slide and didn't say something, that would make them look like total schmucks

This.   If this tower is shorter than 510 feet and Costar let the media go with it without corrections this is very bad for real estate DATA company.  They sell subcriptions basically to their real estate knowledge so why would anyone buy it if they can't even get this right?   (and they are quite costly)  Did some intern write that press release and why such a rehash of why they chose VA over NC.  That was not necessary for a company already in your town expanding.  I find that press release strange. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This.   If this tower is shorter than 510 feet and Costar let the media go with it without corrections this is very bad for real estate DATA company.  They sell subcriptions basically to their real estate knowledge so why would anyone buy it if they can't even get this right?   (and they are quite costly)  Did some intern write that press release and why such a rehash of why they chose VA over NC.  That was not necessary for a company already in your town expanding.  I find that press release strange. 

It wasn’t a press release. It’s a CoStar News article. Their official press release doesn’t discuss the height at all - just the number of stories. I don’t find their reporting to be very reliable but it would be particularly embarrassing if they have a story about their company wrong. Here’s their press release: https://www.costargroup.com/costar-news/details/costar-group-announces-plans-for-expanded-corporate-campus-in-richmond-virginia

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, HRVA said:

It wasn’t a press release. It’s a CoStar News article. Their official press release doesn’t discuss the height at all - just the number of stories. I don’t find their reporting to be very reliable but it would be particularly embarrassing if they have a story about their company wrong. Here’s their press release: https://www.costargroup.com/costar-news/details/costar-group-announces-plans-for-expanded-corporate-campus-in-richmond-virginia

I find their reporting many times shallow as well.  But when you are talking about the very company you work for and on such an important project you would think it would be done better.  Someone told me they thought the Governor  made this 510 feet claim.  

Someone needs to contact this guy on behalf the media interest called  Richmond UP 

CoStar Group
Matthew Blocher
(202) 346-6775
[email protected]

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, eandslee said:

Okay, after sleeping on it, I thought I’d take a closer look at the rendering and here’s what I’m seeing:  If you look at the rendering taken from the Lee Bridge perspective (the one with the Fed to the right and DE to the back left), I counted the floors from the base of the tower to the top (before what is obviously the crown) and I only count/see 22 floors. If my theory is correct that this is an old rendering, then imagine 4 more floors and then a sizable crown added to what you see on the rendering (to get 26 actual floors plus a crown).  If that’s the case, then I can see this being 510 feet tall.   However, the rendering appears to show a 425 foot tower as drawn, but with only 22 actual floors instead of 26 as reported. 

I did the same thing - I counted like 22 or 23 floors (I was going SO cross-eyed from staring at the damn thing I'm surprised I got even THAT close) - and I tend to agree with you. This COULD be an old rendering - one that sets up for a 425'-tall building - Add four floors (let's say about 60 feet) to get us to 26 floors - and that brings the tower's height to 485 -- only 35 feet shy of 510. A decent-sized crown of just over two floors' height would accomplish that easily.

I think it works. And it legit could be an oversight on the company website - the folks at CoStar may have been SO occupied with getting the big shindig and announcement pulled together that someone overlooked making an update to their site. I think it's not out of the realm of possiblity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

I find their reporting many times shallow as well.  But when you are talking about the very company you work for and on such an important project you would think it would be done better.  Someone told me they thought the Governor  made this 510 feet claim.  

Someone needs to contact this guy on behalf the media interest called  Richmond UP 

CoStar Group
Matthew Blocher
(202) 346-6775
[email protected]

See - that's a huge problem for me as a former reporter. If the GOVERNOR put that number out there, if I'm covering the event for whatever organization (AP, RBS, RTD) decided to staff it, I'm making a BIG circle around that 510 figure on my note pad and I'm approaching the CEO himself and verifying it with him. Plus at least one more person from CoStar. And probably getting the governor to confirm that number and tell me where he sourced it. One of my old editors way back when always said - "if your mother says she loves you, CHECK IT OUT!!" The old-school way was - you don't just verify. You verify, verify, verify. Three sources if at all posslble. The more the better.

I wish I still worked for the Associated Press. I'd follow up on this regardless of whether the editors okayed it or not. It would just take a phone call or email. Plus, I guarantee you both the state news editor and the bureau chief would want a correction out on the wire ASAP if one was necessary. If the number was wrong, even if the GFE was the fault of the source, it STILL makes the AP look bad for reporting incorrect information.

Edited by I miss RVA
  • Like 2