Cars of the QC

• 1 month later...

9 hours ago, nicholas said:

Lol I see Uruses almost everyday, there was a purple one at the mall last weekend.

Just stating what I saw and what I stated was an assumption of Lamelo's ride based on the limo tint windshield and sharp as hell yellow scheme.   I too have seen other Urus around Southpark.  But I haven't seen a sharp yellow with limo tint windshield before. 

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and her brother were both involved in NASCAR in the 1960's. He as a crew member for a top group, but second rank driver. I think the top rung was called Grand National at that time before Winston, Nextel and so on. My wife worked for Holman-Moody, THE race car prep and designer of the time; massive amounts of Ford Motor money. She knew the Holman family and worked in the office and occasionally with the traveling party for H-M, driving or flying to race day. Glory Days for the sport. I went with them 8-9 years ago to the museum when b-i-l was in town and they love, love, loved it as the history was everything they remembered. Thus it was fun for me also. Oh, the stories they spun.

If one goes with a fan, follower, former or current it will expand the joy.

https://www.holmanmoody.com/ They are still in business 65 years on. We three went to their current location in Arrowwood and it is interesting to see the road race cars, classics and others they show there. If you know a long time, old time follower or someone who enjoys the history of the sport H-M would make a good stop. It is a real business so they may have little time to walk you through everything. Before the Hornets, before the Panthers, NASCAR (and H-M) put Charlotte on the sporting map, for real.

• Like 3

On 7/11/2023 at 8:38 PM, videtur quam contuor said:

My wife and her brother were both involved in NASCAR in the 1960's. He as a crew member for a top group, but second rank driver. I think the top rung was called Grand National at that time before Winston, Nextel and so on. My wife worked for Holman-Moody, THE race car prep and designer of the time; massive amounts of Ford Motor money. She knew the Holman family and worked in the office and occasionally with the traveling party for H-M, driving or flying to race day. Glory Days for the sport. I went with them 8-9 years ago to the museum when b-i-l was in town and they love, love, loved it as the history was everything they remembered. Thus it was fun for me also. Oh, the stories they spun.

If one goes with a fan, follower, former or current it will expand the joy.

https://www.holmanmoody.com/ They are still in business 65 years on. We three went to their current location in Arrowwood and it is interesting to see the road race cars, classics and others they show there. If you know a long time, old time follower or someone who enjoys the history of the sport H-M would make a good stop. It is a real business so they may have little time to walk you through everything. Before the Hornets, before the Panthers, NASCAR (and H-M) put Charlotte on the sporting map, for real.

Did you ever know Gentleman Jim Pardue? He was my mom's cousin (mine too).  I lived on the westside and knew Buck Baker and a few of the guys from when I worked at the Holiday Inn, Wilkinson Blvd as a very young youngster.  Years ago, I was at the Columbus, Ohio state fair (I'm pretty sure that was the one) and they had reps from Holman Moody there for some reason. I spoke to them, and they told me that they had moved their office to Ohio or somewhere like that? 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DJ8hep said:

Thoughts on this car spotted in Southend today - it looked to be a viper?

That's a Viper ACR which is one of the craziest cars ever built.  Production ended several years back but this was arguably the last ultra high performance driver's car, as no automatic transmission of any kind was ever offered.  The early Vipers back in the '90s had a reputation of being "widowmakers" due to being extremely fast and even more difficult to control, but by this final generation the Viper had been pretty honed-in, and for a time held several records at various high profile racetracks around the country.  The owner of that car takes it to some of the regional tracks like CMP and VIR, and personally broke the production car lap record at CMP last year in this car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 7/29/2023 at 3:36 PM, nicholas said:

That's a Viper ACR which is one of the craziest cars ever built.  Production ended several years back but this was arguably the last ultra high performance driver's car, as no automatic transmission of any kind was ever offered.  The early Vipers back in the '90s had a reputation of being "widowmakers" due to being extremely fast and even more difficult to control, but by this final generation the Viper had been pretty honed-in, and for a time held several records at various high profile racetracks around the country.  The owner of that car takes it to some of the regional tracks like CMP and VIR, and personally broke the production car lap record at CMP last year in this car.

Those old Vipers were insane cars.

On 7/29/2023 at 3:36 PM, nicholas said:

Wow!! That’s awesome!! Wait you know the person who owns this Viper?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

First sighting for me. Rivian electric truck specific for Amazonimage.thumb.jpeg.ca52f96f455c61b4d9d9bd2c53c9b113.jpeg1504940988_IMG_14752.thumb.JPG.92091f56bf0b4b5c97753a5197ebeb8b.JPG248460663_IMG_14772.thumb.JPG.3055fa0adcc6395afafcd7c9fbaf8166.JPG

Publix at South End in background. Driver said this is his first day assigned to such a vehicle. "Do you like it?" "It is fine." He says there are more at the warehouse, whichever one he refers to.  

Delivering to apartment buildings he puts packages into larger yellow and blue packs for ease of transfer and security.

Note Rivian style headlights and also small clearance lights, I assume, near top of front of vehicle. Side panels are wavy. Are they metal or other material?

• Like 4