The Economy and The Markets (where are we, where are we heading, and what does it mean for the QC...)

A2.

49 minutes ago, gman430 said:

The stock market and oil just went bonkers. Wow. The Dow was down 650 and now it’s up 700:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html

Here’s comes the bounce. That said, to make this happen they just literally took everyone’s savings and placed a match on it, further destroying the $USD. The Fed has now telegraphed they will buy it all! Dollar collapse imminent. Give it less than 3 months and they will have destroyed it all. I will say it again:

you can’t solve a debt problem by creating more debt

take any time this buys us to take protective measures. 

A2

Edited by A2.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

@A2. What's your take on this? https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/21/opinion/-coronavirus-stimulus-trillion.html?fbclid=IwAR106vMNUSAPYSgE9Q0fWUTzlh-uIhBuKXtMltFZkZ1bcBf2KCxYUg7eMnY

I don't understand various types of economic theory very well but I get the feeling you and she disagree?

Lol, yes. You know me well.:D

By the way guys, I’m shocked the markets aren’t up 1000 points. Seriously, this is wild

My question is based off this quote by the St. Louis Fed. Reserve President - "If you assume we have to shelter in place during the second quarter, the third quarter would be a transition period [...] then the fourth quarter of this year could be the boom quarter and the first quarter of 2021 would be the boom time when everybody is up and running and you're rocking and rolling again," Bullard said.

If things fall off the cliff for at least a quarter, do they really think that the snowball won't have started downhill and it will just accelerate and keep going for some time?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

Well, your signature.

:D It’s true. You don’t need money to buy things. All you need is a credit card and a place to sign the dotted line. I think this might end up being a depression if a stimulus package doesn’t get passed.

Edited by gman430

51 minutes ago, GeauxCLT said:

So if I’m not in a position to securely store gold bars in my house and (cash) savers are apparently toast, what is my best safe investment? Paper gold/silver? 

Gold is very small. I don’t trust paper anything. I can put $20k in my Jacket pocket and still have room for tens of thousands more. 

A2

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, gman430 said:

:D It’s true. You don’t need money to buy things. All you need is a credit card and a place to sign the dotted line. I think this might end up being a depression if a stimulus package doesn’t get passed.

My point is that when you’re right, you’re right. A full-blown panic has brought buying stuff we don’t need to a grinding halt. In very large part, our economy is built on stuff we don’t need.

• Like 2

Just now, Dale said:

My point is that when you’re right, you’re right. A full-blown panic has brought buying stuff we don’t need to a grinding halt. In very large part, our economy is built on stuff we don’t need.

Amen

Maybe, just maybe, that first level holds and we close Green! I’m going to be shocked if we don’t. The Fed has decided to go nuclear, so a red close would be really really scary. 

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

In 2019 flu season killed over 50,000. Why weren’t millions cast out of work and the economy driven into the ground for that ?

Careful. I asked the same question a few days ago on here and got fried for it. 

Edited by gman430

7 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Because that question has been answered OVER and OVER again. If the reason isn't obvious to you by now, it never will be and it's a waste of time to keep answering it. 

The question has manifestly NOT been answered over and over again. But here’s an opportunity for you.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dale said:

The question has manifestly NOT been answered over and over again. But here’s an opportunity for you.

Here

On 3/22/2020 at 9:11 AM, Neo said:

Please stop the spread of misinformation. Whether or not someone thinks this virus is silly and the world's measures to 'flatten the curve' are silly, the fact is that this virus has the potential to kill more than the flu unless we contain it or limit its spread:

Causes-of-death-and-coronavirus.png?resi

https://flowingdata.com/2020/03/16/possible-coronavirus-deaths-compared-against-other-causes/

• Like 1

One of the major reasons for the shutdowns is the lack of testing. It was  not made available like in past outbreaks. The administration claimed the tests weren’t good but they were good enough for South Korea and they have flattened the curve. So as a preventive measure, governors are having to make tough choices on shutting down schools and business to help stop the spread. Also, calling it a hoax and downplaying the threat early on didn’t help either with preparation for what was coming our way. 

• Like 2