CTC Redevelopment - Crescent, BPR & Whitepoint Proposals for Transit Center Redo + More

If I were still living in Charlotte and could attend, I’d vocally be against this. I don’t think it makes sense from what I understand. 

Maybe it’s my lack of knowledge (who owns the CTC currently etc). But the reason I would be opposed is, I think CLT should go all in with Gateway. Why couldn’t they sell CTC and allocate funds to Gateway, etc. Even if it causes more delays to Gateway Station, I think it’s unfortunately worth it.  I don’t get the need for a revised new facility at CTC. 

Anyone have clarity on the thought process? Who here supports the CTC project that could explain your view on why this project makes sense? (I do like the renderings and in a world where money and resources were infinite, of course I’d be down with it. It looks nice. It looks good. It seems good. But the broader context just seems wrong) 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD
  • Like 2

Yea, a quick look at the latest google sat images reveals these 4 blocks to be the most underutilzed in Uptown  (aside from some 2nd ward stuff and Levine land). Some type of change is certainly needed here, and I suspect the current CTC is one of the big things that has prevented any spillovers developing from the arena.

I am pretty ambivalent about moving buses underground, and the cost of this is… but this site is at least 2 blocks closer to the square than a Gateway station site could be so I do see some logic to the project.

IMG_1086.png

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Valid points. Especially if Gateway would be too small and maybe the cost of burying the buses would lead to development of all of those underutilized blocks. It definitely looks nice in rendering so at least there’s that. It’s an exciting project otherwise. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Reading on twitter from a QC Nerve Contributor that the Hornets are abandoning plans for the Practice facility in the CTC Re-do (or as I call it, "Never-Do") and instead will build on the parking lot currently housing Brooklyn Lounge.  Does anyone have ideas for what else a practice facility can be besides one big single-story gym?

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Reading on twitter from a QC Nerve Contributor that the Hornets are abandoning plans for the Hornets practice facility in the CTC Re-do, or as I call it "Never-Do," and instead will build on the parking lot currently housing Brooklyn Lounge.  Does anyone have ideas for what else a practice facility can be besides one big single-story gym?

Hopefully this will be part of a new mixed-use tower (residential/hospitality).

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Reading on twitter from a QC Nerve Contributor that the Hornets are abandoning plans for the Practice facility in the CTC Re-do (or as I call it, "Never-Do") and instead will build on the parking lot currently housing Brooklyn Lounge.  Does anyone have ideas for what else a practice facility can be besides one big single-story gym?

I would imagine it might have multiple courts, or multiple partial courts, plus enhanced training and therapeutic areas.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Yes I do and I just read about this the Spurs new training facility, private club and restaurant in the swank La Cantera area of San Antonio.    The Rock at La Cantera! (and yes it was an old limestone quarry site)   This is a suburban NW location.  

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/04/18/spurs-share-timeline-for-new-practice-facility-500m-campus-on-far-northwest-side/

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/07/24/Facilities/san-antonio-spurs-practice-facility.aspx

I would think this could be the new model for NBA training facilities but wonder how much space they are talking.  

also in terms of the Hornets building a high rise along with a training facility is probably way too long a process for them.  It could be years before the underground CTC and adjoining tower gets going.  Look at the stall of many private financed projects and one only needs to look at the 20 plus year Gateway project.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Seems like a lost opportunity not to put this facility Med School-adjacent (near the Pearl) for some sports medicine sponsorship opportunities. Would be a nice anchor for an orthopedics program.

I guess space in the Pearl is getting kinda tight already thanks to the Belk hogging most of the land over there.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Yes I do and I just read about this the Spurs new training facility, private club and restaurant in the swank La Cantera area of San Antonio.    The Rock at La Cantera! (and yes it was an old limestone quarry site)   This is a suburban NW location.  

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023/04/18/spurs-share-timeline-for-new-practice-facility-500m-campus-on-far-northwest-side/

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Issues/2023/07/24/Facilities/san-antonio-spurs-practice-facility.aspx

I would think this could be the new model for NBA training facilities but wonder how much space they are talking.  

also in terms of the Hornets building a high rise along with a training facility is probably way too long a process for them.  It could be years before the underground CTC and adjoining tower gets going.  Look at the stall of many private financed projects and one only needs to look at the 20 plus year Gateway project.  

Does anyone know if this might be a pivot initiated by the new owners, or was it already in the works?

You mean the stall of publicly-financed projects, yes?  I lay our inaction at the feet of Jones-Lyles.  Taiwo should  be our city manager. 

• Like 1

Seems like a great opportunity to put a nice restaurant/sports bar maybe overlooking the practice courts and implement a state of the art sports book in there since it will be legal now. I don’t know where they could place a sizable sports book in spectrum currently. This new facility could be an attractive place to put it and would also generate foot traffic 7 days a week. 

• Like 3

My memory of this is somewhat blurred, but wasn't a lucrative "district" naming rights deal supposed to cover the city's financing of the practice facility?  I was skeptical when reading that a city could just offer up naming rights for an otherwise unknown, uninteresting, unimpressive stretch of inner city corridor to, poof, materialize dollars to fund a world-class sports facility.  I suppose crazier things have happened, however.  But now with this facility potentially going across Brevard north of the arena, how do you stitch together any sort of valuable naming rights proposal?  Or was this always supposed to just be naming rights on the building itself, so whereas Spectrum gets the arena, some new corporate buyer gets to name the practice facility?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RANYC said:

My memory of this is somewhat blurred, but wasn't a lucrative "district" naming rights deal supposed to cover the city's financing of the practice facility?  I was skeptical when reading that a city could just offer up naming rights for an otherwise unknown, uninteresting, unimpressive stretch of inner city corridor to, poof, materialize dollars to fund a world-class sports facility.  I suppose crazier things have happened, however.  But now with this facility potentially going across Brevard north of the arena, how do you stitch together any sort of valuable naming rights proposal?  Or was this always supposed to just be naming rights on the building itself, so whereas Spectrum gets the arena, some new corporate buyer gets to name the practice facility?

I think it was naming rights for the facility itself, but yea, I'm starting to grow weary of any project the county/city is involved with overall.

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Great comment.  Just trying to remember, wasn't there a firm that moved to The South End, or uptown from the suburbs recently?

"Suburban space users are not inclined to pack up and move to the center city in search of new space...quality, or not.  They will continue to surf the suburbs and find homes there...mostly in Ballantyne, Southpark, The River District, Waverly, and University City.  That leaves a handful of "upgrade" prospects in uptown, and many..."

• 1 month later...
On 3/5/2024 at 6:10 PM, KJHburg said:

Back on track according to acting CATS exec.

""Charlotte’s top transit executive said yesterday that, despite months of little to no public discussion of a proposed redevelopment of the Charlotte Transportation Center, the project will soon start moving forward.

The 2.6-acre bus hub sits across the street from Spectrum Center, bounded by East Trade, South Brevard and East Fourth streets and the Lynx Blue Line. The CTC opened in 1995. In June 2022, Charlotte City Council approved a $275 million package of arena upgrades for the NBA Charlotte Hornets that included $60 million for a new practice center. At the time, city administrators preferred to include the practice center in a new transportation center, pitching the practice facility as an anchor for a project including retail, office and parking atop the bus hub.

Yesterday, during council’s monthly economic development committee meeting, Brent Cagle, interim CEO of Charlotte Area Transit System, offered an update on the CTC after months of silence by city officials.

Cagle said several key steps will occur by the end of this year, starting with an anticipated rezoning request for the property within several weeks. Private developers White Point Partners and Dart Interests secured rights from the city to redevelop the CTC in 2019.

“It’s always been a project to replace the CTC and have private development over-build on the same parcel,” Cagle told the committee. “That has not changed.”

Within the next two months, council will be asked to officially accept a $15 million federal grant awarded in 2021 to help pay to replace the existing transportation center. 

It will take roughly two years to build a new CTC. During that time, a temporary station is planned on adjacent property owned by the developers. Cagle said those plans remain intact.

Just before Cagle spoke, Malcolm Graham, the council member who serves as committee chair, shared his disappointment about the lengthy silence regarding the CTC.""
Charlotte transit chief on next steps for transportation hub - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

back on track?...so it, too, had derailed?

• Haha 2