Cabarrus/Rowan Developments

rancenc

Good map. Maybe I'm having a morning, but I can't find the option for the town boundaries.  I hope K-town does develop its inner core more. Their train station is wonderful and folks would really enjoy the relaxed commute.  

The boundaries of Kannapolis are really weird and controversial. For instance, the developments around "Riverpointe" are attached to the main city by a boundary that runs right up the middle of a country road for about five miles. 

• Like 1

TriPointe homes is building a bunch of townhomes in downtown Kannapolis right south of the new Vida apartments and ballpark.

it is 128 townhomes called Pennant Square and this should be good for downtown.  There is a lot of  vacant lots in Kannapolis now but infill is happening all over the city.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

There is one quote in the story that mentions the original grocery name, Food Town.

Back in my CPCC days, I took rock climbing for a PE credit (mainly just for fun).  The class met at Morrow Mountain for two weekends, and one day on the walk up the mountain, we somehow got on the subject of Food Lion.  One of the instructors, an absolute legend named Scott Thrift, was telling us how he worked at Food Lion when he was a teenager, then went off on a tangent and was like "does anyone know what Food Lion used to be called?" and I, probably the youngest person in the class, remembered my grandmother saying that it used to be called Food Town.  I think I was the only student in that class who knew that, lol.

• Like 2

^ However, Nothing will ever best Bi-Lo's marquee, though.  If y'all recall, "Bi-Lo " was sandwiched between " Low Prices"and " Quality Foods".  So it read from left to right.......'Low prices buy low quality foods."

11 hours ago, rancenc said:

Lowest Food Prices In North Carolina!!!!:tw_innocent:

Edited by Bikeguy
  • Haha 3

Retail changes in Cabarrus County.  Side note from the article, the Dick's Sporting Goods store at Northlake Mall apparently is closing.

https://independenttribune.com/business/local/friday-five-swapping-locations-struggling-retailers-and-high-rent/article_1a3ff4a8-61ab-11eb-82ed-97fc7737b16b.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

Edited by rancenc
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, rancenc said:

1200 new jobs could be coming to Rowan County.....stay tune for more information!!

https://salisburypost.com/2021/01/31/county-commissioners-will-talk-incentives-for-1200-job-project/

with the widening of I-85 in the southern part of the county making it easy to get to the Charlotte market as well as anywhere in the Carolinas I think this is a great spot for distribution or manufacturing.  This sounds great about this prospect. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rancenc said:

somewhere someone hinted a major food manufacturing company and I hope that is true as they very resilent and NC is somewhat of a food processing powerhouse esp in the southeast. Even if I knew I could not tell loose lips sink ships in the economic development world LOL but I don't know this one. 

actually NC is #2 in the nation in food processing.

https://edpnc.com/industries/food-processing-manufacturing/

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, rancenc said:

New mid rise apartment complex coming to downtown Kannapolis adjacent to the baseball stadium.  Groundbreaking could be just around the corner.

https://www.facebook.com/Kannapolisretailventures/photos/pcb.228589592263157/228568672265249

Looks like corner of West Ave and Laureate Way.  Is there office/hotel attached?  Unless I'm mistaken, only the part of the building with balconies will be apartments.

It's crazy how undeveloped/underdeveloped Kannaloplis's core still is.  The block bounded by West, Vance, Oak, and B is almost entirely a parking lot, and the Food Lion/Dollar General plaza takes up an insane amount of land that is directly across the street from the ballpark.  Plus most of the research campus is still just empty lots, and there's basically nothing south of Vance Ave other than some SFHs and a couple of churches.  Also a ton of parking lots between Main St and the railroad tracks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nicholas said:

It's crazy how undeveloped/underdeveloped Kannaloplis's core still is.  The block bounded by West, Vance, Oak, and B is almost entirely a parking lot, and the Food Lion/Dollar General plaza takes up an insane amount of land that is directly across the street from the ballpark.  Plus most of the research campus is still just empty lots, and there's basically nothing south of Vance Ave other than some SFHs and a couple of churches.  Also a ton of parking lots between Main St and the railroad tracks.

IMO, Kannapolis is the oddest city in N.C.  Huge swaths of the city are tiny wood frame houses on disproportionately huge lots.  Much of the "city" feels very rural.  Then you get to the heart of the city -- downtown and the research campus -- and it seems so disconnected from the residents of Kannapolis, separated by grassy fields or huge parking lots.  It's sort of like a moat  separating the peasants in their modest homes from the royalty in those big palatial buildings on the research campus.   Those buildings on that huge acreage are gorgeous but seem out of place.  Then there's downtown, which has a fake Disneyland feel.  The buildings, like at a Disney theme park, all meticulously match one another.   They all are built in a Williamsburg style, yet 200 years younger than Williamsburg.  And also like Disneyland, those great big parking lots in front  of downtown remind me of the parking lots in front of the entrance of a theme park.  Park here then enter Magic Kingdom AKA Downtown Kannapolis.

I know there are big plans for this city, but much work needs to be done to make it feel integrated, cohesive, connected and vibrant.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, JacksonH said:

IMO, Kannapolis is the oddest city in N.C.  Huge swaths of the city are tiny wood frame houses on disproportionately huge lots.  Much of the "city" feels very rural.  Then you get to the heart of the city -- downtown and the research campus -- and it seems so disconnected from the residents of Kannapolis, separated by grassy fields or huge parking lots.  It's sort of like a moat  separating the peasants in their modest homes from the royalty in those big palatial buildings on the research campus.   Those buildings on that huge acreage are gorgeous but seem out of place.  Then there's downtown, which has a fake Disneyland feel.  The buildings, like at a Disney theme park, all meticulously match one another.   They all are built in a Williamsburg style, yet 200 years younger than Williamsburg.  And also like Disneyland, those great big parking lots in front  of downtown remind me of the parking lots in front of the entrance of a theme park.  Park here then enter Magic Kingdom AKA Downtown Kannapolis.

I know there are big plans for this city, but much work needs to be done to make it feel integrated, cohesive, connected and vibrant.

The vacant lots, and small houses are what's  left remaining from old mills and mill villages.  But, you're right about the manufactured aspect of downtown now. In a way, it's the same as it ever was, just updated.  (In the sense that the old mill villages were built and planned around mills.)

• Like 1