Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, ArchiCLT said:

Unless I'm mistaken in the latest photos, since when did the majority of the base get VE'd to EIFS? Cheap. Cheap. Cheap.

We will just have to see the brick goes any higher I guess… which looks like it should ride to what is shown in the renderings.

Edited by JRCLT
  • Like 1

this afternoon I ran into @CLT Development at the neighboring building The Line and we were snowed on by the EIFS from the Portman apartment tower.  We concluded some areas on the lower levels will be brick but some of it will be EIFS  stucco.   It looks like something indeed changed from the original or maybe many of us looked at it wrong from  the beginning.  I still think overall it will look good and the inset balconies look great.  But there seems to be little less brick facing than I thought.  

20240220_133327.jpg

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

16 hours ago, KJHburg said:

this afternoon I ran into @CLT Development at the neighboring building The Line and we were snowed on by the EIFS from the Portman apartment tower.  We concluded some areas on the lower levels will be brick but some of it will be EIFS  stucco.   It looks like something indeed changed from the original or maybe many of us looked at it wrong from  the beginning.  I still think overall it will look good and the inset balconies look great.  But there seems to be little less brick facing than I thought.  

I first noticed deviations from the renderings on 12/28/23 during the curtain wall installation of the 8-story portion that bumps out toward the Rail Trail (below). Compare the number of balconies on the rendering to the minimal balconies provided at the corners. That's a VE-move.

Also, compare the inset reveals/shadow-lines in the brick facade in the rendering below, which create visual depth. That's been substituted for thin reveals in EIFS, for a much flatter appearance.

022124_2.jpg.23dcc168a7a60f46493617a644fe4577.jpg

022124_1.jpeg.f5347eb588c2dfd9d7913dad0e8d9295.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

image.thumb.png.95654eec7395e0fe3bba6c7602d3ae36.png

Gotta ask.... what is the holdup with this lot and the fact that the Rail Trail is unfinished in that spot?

Also that is 0.6 miles between Tremont and Remount without any cross over to the other side, in one of the most dynamic/active sections of the trail. I'm sure CATS would never go for a raised pedestrian walkway over the tracks but it seems like no real opportunity for an at-grade crossing either?

28 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

image.thumb.png.95654eec7395e0fe3bba6c7602d3ae36.png

Gotta ask.... what is the holdup with this lot and the fact that the Rail Trail is unfinished in that spot?

Also that is 0.6 miles between Tremont and Remount without any cross over to the other side, in one of the most dynamic/active sections of the trail. I'm sure CATS would never go for a raised pedestrian walkway over the tracks but it seems like no real opportunity for an at-grade crossing either?

It's a part of the Autobell property, so the only holdup would be them wanting to spend money on putting a trail in with no real incentive to do so. The city could step up and do that like they have on portions of the existing trail, but I haven't heard anything about plans to do so. If Autobell were redeveloped, it would be a requirement of them to add the trail. It does need a good bit of demo, grading and retaining wall, so it wouldn't be as easy and cheap as just paving an asphalt path.

The issue with the pedestrian walkway over the tracks is that I believe it has to be ADA compliant, so it would need elevators on each side which would be very costly. There's a future stop planned that's supposed to be added between Publix and Spectrum (now Cortland South End), which would provide an at grade ped crossing when built. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most of the development difficulty comes from sensitive water infrastructure, the only way it would be affordable is if it was done by a developer as part of a larger project. The city has had trouble justifying spending the amount needed for what essentially is a mirror of existing infrastructure. I imagine if the auto bell sits undeveloped long enough and rail trail traffic increases they’ll be able to justify it, but probably not until it’s inconvenient for everyone using it. I’d say within two years it’ll be “planned” and then it’ll be a slow process further slowed down by even a whiff of redevelopment.

Edited by MothBeast

52 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

Most of the development difficulty comes from sensitive water infrastructure, the only way it would be affordable is if it was done by a developer as part of a larger project. The city has had trouble justifying spending the amount needed for what essentially is a mirror of existing infrastructure. I imagine if the auto bell sits undeveloped long enough and rail trail traffic increases they’ll be able to justify it, but probably not until it’s inconvenient for everyone using it. I’d say within two years it’ll be “planned” and then it’ll be a slow process further slowed down by even a whiff of redevelopment.

I believe I got the news last year that they had reached a deal to close this gap, as part of the Auto Bell renovation, but I will have to follow up on that. I'm sure this is one of the busiest in the company.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MothBeast said:

I heard the opposite strangely, probably late last year. I hope your information is correct though, I dream of walking that full loop

mine was before MLG left CCP as their Director of South End, Looks like that was Jan of 2023, so It might have been 2022 in reality. So I would trust your info in this case

22 hours ago, CLT Development said:

mine was before MLG left CCP as their Director of South End, Looks like that was Jan of 2023, so It might have been 2022 in reality. So I would trust your info in this case

Well hey maybe it just hadn’t gotten to city staff yet. They wait until the last chance to tell us usually.