Square at South End - Mixed Use Project @ West and Tryon

CLTProductions

14 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

That’s screwed up.  I was wondering what the rates would be on those?

Not to get this thread too far off topic, but to answer your question... $1188/mo for 396sf and up:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/29/apartment-project-adding-micro-units-in-south-end.html

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Not to get this thread too far off topic, but to answer your question... $1188/mo for 396sf and up:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/01/29/apartment-project-adding-micro-units-in-south-end.html

WTF?  They call that affordable?  That’s for a one bedroom at 396sf.  Wow...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

WTF?  They call that affordable?  That’s for a one bedroom at 396sf.  Wow...

We’re these apartments ever billed as affordable housing? I thought these were market rate studio apartments, which is an option that basically every city not named Charlotte has had a lot of of  for a long time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruco72 said:

We’re these apartments ever billed as affordable housing? I thought these were market rate studio apartments, which is an option that basically every city not named Charlotte has had a lot of of  for a long time. 

Actually yes.  Several articles were published in the summer of ‘18 when this was first announced and affordability (as well as location) were highlighted as selling points.  And a justification of not having any building amenities for renters.

“It’s all about trying to drive that price point down for folks,” said Furman. “The neighborhood is the amenity.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/biz-columns-blogs/development/article215826830.html

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jasons0013 said:

Was informed by Weather Brad that during storms, cranes have a release mechanism that acts like a weather vane. This will ensure that the crane will blow with the wind.  Keeps them from getting blown over. Pretty neat.

Yes, I remember when there was a crane collapse in NYC or Seattle (I can’t recall which) a few years back, the reason it collapsed was because the crane had been locked in place, or the release function or whatever it is wasn’t activated and the high winds took it down.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jasons0013 said:

Was informed by Weather Brad that during storms, cranes have a release mechanism that acts like a weather vane. This will ensure that the crane will blow with the wind.  Keeps them from getting blown over. Pretty neat.

Yup, and its an eerie sight when you see them start to spin in a storm over an empty construction site.  It gives of a very apocalyptic vibe.  I remember this happening once or twice while they were building LU1 in Uptown. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...