Central FL Roads and Highways

spenser1058

28 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

Word for the day is "sprawl"

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/gs-news-lake-orange-connector-20190612-6bgslvpgdrd3xdts6pvpswsm3a-story.html

The proposed 5-mile toll road would run from the middle of nowhere (hwy 27 about 5 miles south of hwy 50) to next to nowhere (429 about 10 miles south of turnpike).

I used to traverse that direction.  So, Hancock Road connects from SR 50 to US 27 somewhere down there.  There is a back road that cuts through neighborhoods that people take- a back way, if you will- to US 27 from the Orange County portion of the area near Fowler's Grove.  They've been talking about that connector for years.  People are using that "corridor" anyway and I mean a ton of traffic.  Otherwise, the only way you can get into the 429 corridor reasonably is from SR 50 to the north or US 192 to the south.  I'm sure the residents along that cut through will be happy about this.  Sprawl it may be, but there are a lot of residents along that cut through.

But, this sounds like it's gonna be a few miles south of that...maybe the halfway point to 192?

I will second that if you've ever taken this route as it exists today that you would also want this to happen.  It is currently a nightmare and this connector is both long overdue and will help a lot of people who currently spend a lot of time in traffic burning gasoline.

I would suggest a trip out there.

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

I would suggest a trip out there.

I've driven it quite a bit. Most recently last month for blueberry picking. Admittedly, when I go I am on a leisurely weekend drive and it is not part of my regular commute. I probably don't understand the traffic flow in the area, but in my mind (bias) I assumed the traffic was northerly oriented, either coming from or going to the Clermont area. This alignment is south of Lake Trout so I don't see how it would save much time for those travelers. Again, I probably just don't understand who is using the roads out there.

What I do understand it putting an exit in the middle of the 5 mile span in the middle of nowhere- cr455- has one goal and that is to open the area west of 429 to 27 for housing development. Hence my original word of the day "sprawl".

On 6/6/2019 at 1:06 PM, spenser1058 said:

Sugarloaf Mountain Rd in Lake County has been resurfaced so if you’ve been dying to take on dcluley in your own version of Breaking Away, now’s the time:

http://bit.ly/2wFd7NP

From the Sentinel 

*sings, “And when I die won’t you bury me in the parking lot of the A&P...”*

OK, a few weeks back JFW correctly figured out Mason Adams was the voiceover who also starred on Lou Grant.

Now let’s see if he gets the actor correct who voices this trailer!

Downtown Road Closures for Tuesday’s event at the Amway:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/os-ne-road-closures-orlando-president-trump-20190615-yk3eg5i52jcu7lqekbou6l643u-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

That got me to thinking about other presidents or wannabes I’ve seen in town over the years: President Obama at the old Arena in 2008 (Bill Clinton at Lake Eola and Joe Biden at UCF but both were campaigning for others at the time); Al Gore at Eola in 2000; LBJ at Colonial Plaza in 1964.

One great thing about living in the swingiest of swing states - we get plenty of visits from the campaigns!

Edited by spenser1058

Just took SR 408 west to I-4 to Princeton.  They have you on the new bridge.  Looks like tonight they'll be moving all of EB I-4 to the new flyovers and you'll stay in the permanent EB lanes all the way to Maitland.  The exits for SR 50 unfortunately don't seem to be properly signed and they're two separate exits.  The EB direction is missing the US 17-92 sheilds and only show the SR 50.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jgardnerucf said:

Went over the new Vierra overpass pretzel twist this morning, twice for good measure. Kinda freaky. Sorry, no pics, I couldn't, if you can imagine why.

It wasn't open when we last went to Miami, so I didn't get to try it. 

If the diverging diamond works as good in reality as it does in simulation, this is the way to go.  The numbers (at least in sim) are so much better than a regular intersection.

They have both safety and traffic throughput benefits. The main reason being it reduces the points of crossing from left turns and creates passive ramps. There are less cycles needed to get the left turns to cross through traffic, so there can be longer green cycles and less change of lights and less stale yellow incidents. 

The systems seem strange at first, but are intuitive when you drive through them. It is much easier than expected and should not pose a problem at all for residents or tourists. I had one installed on I-75 and University Parkway when I worked there. It greatly improved efficiency and safety and removed gridlock and backup on the interstate off-ramps. 

• Thanks 1