LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

In light of the horrific events in Minneapolis and the ham-handed response, the odds on Val Demings as Joe’s veep choice are rapidly improving.

Her piece in the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/29/my-fellow-brothers-sisters-blue-what-earth-are-you-doing/ 

• Like 1

As of 6/1/20, here in Orange County:

There are:

351, 231 Democrats

210, 199 Republicans 

239, 455 No Party Affiliation 

< 10, 000 “Other” (Looks like the Libertarians have some work to do)

These are registrations with the OC Supervisor of Elections Bill Cowles

ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE?

HAVE YOU REQUESTED TO VOTE BY MAIL? (in Florida, just sign up - no reason required)

DO IT TODAY! As you might have noticed lately, it’s kind of important this year...

• Like 1

Veep endorsements are still kind of unusual, but today US Rep Stephanie Murphy, who is a Blue Dog Democrat from District 7 the “Mica” seat until he lost it), has endorsed US Rep Val Demings from District 10 (a somewhat bluer district). 

In any event, glad to have the home folks sticking together. Here’s hoping Joe picks Val!

https://twitter.com/smurphycongress/status/1267544574882390016?s=21

As I was reading this 538 piece about whether you can buy an election (as the case of Mike Bloomberg proved, it usually doesn’t work - candidates and campaigns matter), I was taken back to the exception that proved the rule: our very own carpetbagger, Rick Scott.

Other wealthy candidates in Florida have failed, but Rick Scott made it through (despite a dubious background and a personality that makes a dishcloth seem exciting by comparison) and keeps on winning, particularly with newer Florida voters.

Even with a horrendous record as governor (see SunPass, DEO and the various environmental disasters on his watch even as he decimated those budgets, just to name three), he still won’t go away.

Perhaps he’s just the ultimate “Florida Man”.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/can-you-buy-a-presidential-election/

Rick Scott mainly won by being anti establishment in a tea party year. The money did not hurt but it was his "outsiderness" that did it for him. If he ran the same campaign four years earlier, he would have lost to Charlie Christ. 

2 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Good thing Buddy isn't up for re-election now. I don't think he'd survive his complicity in his police force's brutality on peaceful protestors. This better be his last term.

There's a small online petition calling for his resignation: Link

17 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Good thing Buddy isn't up for re-election now. I don't think he'd survive his complicity in his police force's brutality on peaceful protestors. This better be his last term.

While it may be unfortunate, the general public may see OPD's response as appropriate against the rioters while respecting the protestors. But who knows. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

While it may be unfortunate, the general public may see OPD's response as appropriate against the rioters while respecting the protestors. But who knows. 

Nothing short of the police getting on their hands and knees and begging "pretty please" while handing out lollipops to criminals, rioters or anyone else violating the law, will ever be enough for some.

Until a few of these same poor, abused little protesters smash their shop windows, loot their merchandise, and set their store on fire, that is.

Then of course it will be that the police didn't do enough to protect them. 

14 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Nothing short of the police getting on their hands and knees and begging "pretty please" while handing out lollipops to criminals, rioters or anyone else violating the law, will ever be enough for some.

Until a few of these same poor, abused little protesters smash their shop windows, loot their merchandise, and set their store on fire, that is.

Come on man. Name me one shop downtown that had their place smashed up or anything. It isn't happening. The police though are tear gassing peaceful protestors and tasing people walking back to their homes and cars.  We have a policing problem here, not a rioting problem. But if they keep escalating things we will have that and I won't blame anyone.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

And on the other end you have folks that condone killing protesters on sight because they inconvenience them.  Both sides have idiots, what's your point?

Until a few of these same poor, abused little protesters  rioters smash their shop windows, loot their merchandise, and set their store on fire, that is.

Protesters and rioters are different people.  I doubt any asshole smashing windows or rioting owns a business.  

The police will be overwhelmed, sure, but you can see videos of protesters doing their best to police themselves.  Discouraging violence and destruction.  Nobody will blame the police for not doing enough.

Edit:  Nobody with any sense.  Again, there are a few dummies everywhere.

Edited by elefants

3 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Come on man. Name me one shop downtown that had their place smashed up or anything. It isn't happening. The police though are tear gassing peaceful protestors and tasing people walking back to their homes and cars.  We have a policing problem here, not a rioting problem. But if they keep escalating things we will have that and I won't blame anyone.

I was talking about the US in general.

We are just lucky we haven't had that kind of violence around here and that says something about our city, our police and its leadership.

If that kind of nonsense starts around here, it won't be because of the police, it will be because of the attitude of entitlement that has taken over the national psyche over the past few years.

There is ZERO excuse for smashing stores, looting merchandise and burning buildings.

If it happens at your place of business will you still be in full support of it?

13 minutes ago, elefants said:

And on the other end you have folks that condone killing protesters on sight because they inconvenience them.  Both sides have idiots, what's your point?

My point was that a lot of people are jumping on the popular bandwagon without considering certain realities.

Protesters and rioters are different people.  I doubt any asshole smashing windows or rioting owns a business.

I wasn't referring to looters and window smashers when I said "their" businesses, property etc. I was talking about those who complain about the police being too tough until they become victims then complain that the police weren't tough enough. 

In case you have never noticed, that's the way a lot of people are.

The police will be overwhelmed, sure, but you can see videos of protesters doing their best to police themselves.  Discouraging violence and destruction. 

That's great. Good on them. Too bad their efforts have almost zero effect.

Nobody will blame the police for not doing enough.

Of course they won't. <_<

Edited by JFW657

19 minutes ago, elefants said:

Edit:  Nobody with any sense.  Again, there are a few dummies everywhere.

IMO, what there are (more than) a few of everywhere, are people who only want to complain about everything no matter what you do.

There is no pleasing the public.

Something that's becoming more and more true it seems.  

23 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

I was talking about the US in general.

We are just lucky we haven't had that kind of violence around here and that says something about our city, our police and its leadership.

If that kind of nonsense starts around here, it won't be because of the police, it will be because of the attitude of entitlement that has taken over the national psyche over the past few years.

There is ZERO excuse for smashing stores, looting merchandise and burning buildings.

If it happens at your place of business will you still be in full support of it?

Protestors aren't rioting anywhere. Anarchists/white supremacists are the ones causing destruction and no protestors are condoning it.

But if for some reason the protests remain unheard and the oppressed remain oppressed and things escalate then yeah let my shop burn. Its just stuff and there are way more important issues at play.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

My point was that a lot of people are jumping on the popular bandwagon without considering certain realities.

I guess I just don't follow you here.   I don't understand if you're referring to the protest bandwagon or which realities people aren't considering.

I wasn't referring to looters and window smashers when I said "their" businesses, property etc. I was talking about those who complain about the police being too tough until they become victims then complain that the police weren't tough enough. 

In case you have never noticed, that's the way a lot of people are.

I haven't had the same experiences that you have here.

That's great. Good on them. Too bad their efforts have almost zero effect.

That's a hard claim to prove considering you can't take a video of destruction not done.

18 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

IMO, what there are (more than) a few of everywhere, are people who only want to complain about everything no matter what you do.

There is no pleasing the public.

Something that's becoming more and more true it seems.  

Of course there's no pleasing everyone.  And folks have always had opinions, it's just easier to express it through social media and the internet and that's probably why it seems more prevalent.

I think we're on the same side, although I think you're too quick to dismiss the protesters.  Ultimately they just want the police to be held accountable for abuse.

Edited by elefants
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

The police take the brunt of the rage but not most of it. These protest are really about the system. This is way above our police force. 

The primary role of the police is not protection, it is to investigate crimes already committed. Only you can and will protect yourself. 

14 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Protestors aren't rioting anywhere. Anarchists/white supremacists are the ones causing destruction and no protestors are condoning it.

Yeah and the right-wingers are blaming it on Antifa and left-wing extremists. 

But we both know there's no proof either way and possibly both sides doing it.

I will say this though... what the protests are doing is creating the situation where it can happen.

14 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

But if for some reason the protests remain unheard and the oppressed remain oppressed and things escalate then yeah let my shop burn. Its just stuff and there are way more important issues at play.

Your shop? OK, you have the right to make that claim about your business. 

But what about the owners of the building? Is it OK for you to condone the burning of their property?

And what about neighboring shops and residences?

Would you excuse the destruction of other people's businesses, homes and lives too?

3 minutes ago, jack said:

The police take the brunt of the rage but not most of it. These protest are really about the system. This is way above our police force. 

The primary role of the police is not protection, it is to investigate crimes already committed. Only you can and will protect yourself. 

As long as human beings comprise the workings of the system, it will never be anywhere close to perfect.

As long as human beings are involved in anything, there will be some level of abuse, corruption and inefficiency.

I'm not suggesting that we should just accept it, but marching in the streets and wreaking havoc on cities and lives accomplishes absolutely ZERO other than making the participants feel good about themselves.

When this sturm und drang is all over, everything will go back to the same way it was.

Just now, JFW657 said:

As long as human beings comprise the workings of the system, it will never be anywhere close to perfect.

As long as human beings are involved in anything, there will be some level of abuse, corruption and inefficiency.

I'm not suggesting that we should just accept it, but marching in the streets and wreaking havoc on cities and lives accomplishes absolutely ZERO other than making the participants feel good about themselves.

When this sturm und drang is all over, everything will go back to the same way it was.

Speaking as a gay man, I can say your less than positive look on progress is not always correct.

Stonewall’s riots began in  1969 when it was standard for police departments to raid and attack gay men and women on little pretext. A shoutout btw - the ones who had the courage to stand up to NYPD then were black trans women.

Here in Orlando, OPD used to like to go to Langford Park and arrest any single white males two minutes after posted sunset even though the sun was still shining. I saw that personally and fought it. It doesn’t happen anymore.

One need look no further than Selma to see a case of a completely non-violent protest made violent by the police. One of those protesters, John Lewis, is today one of the House’s elder statesmen.

The fact we’re still having this discussion shows that sometimes, to get attention paid to a problem, demonstrations are required.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Speaking as a gay man, I can say your less than positive look on progress is not always correct.

Stonewall’s riots began in  1969 when it was standard for police departments to raid and attack gay men and women on little pretext. A shoutout btw - the ones who had the courage to stand up to NYPD then were black trans women.

Here in Orlando, OPD used to like to go to Langford Park and arrest any single white males two minutes after posted sunset even though the sun was still shining. I saw that personally and fought it. It doesn’t happen anymore.

One need look no further than Selma to see a case of a completely non-violent protest made violent by the police. One of those protesters, John Lewis, is today one of the House’s elder statesmen.

The fact we’re still having this discussion shows that sometimes, to get attention paid to a problem, demonstrations are required.

I think the fact that we're still having this discussion all these years later kind of confirms or verifies what I said. 

Certainly society's views on matters of race and lifestyle/sexuality have become much more relaxed, but I doubt that has anywhere near as much to do with marches and demonstrations as it has to do with a changing popular culture.

I would thank the rebelliousness of youth and the entertainment industry which influences their thinking for most of it.