LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

1 hour ago, JFW657 said:

Certainly it doesn't play on or into people's anger and resentment.

Whatever it's called, nothing will change either way. 

Why do you keep saying this when things are changing? Police budgets are already being cut all over the country and even R Sens like Cornyn and McConnell are talking about police reform laws.

Like it or not, we're in the middle of a real change and this isn't going away.

I really don’t get this - it’s like The Donald WANTS to lose the election. This is the third rail of Florida politics- even Rick Scott figured that out:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-trump-oil-drilling-florida-20200610-ekndywdrbrhedjdipktwfun2si-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Edited by spenser1058

44 minutes ago, popsiclebrandon said:

Why do you keep saying this when things are changing? Police budgets are already being cut all over the country and even R Sens like Cornyn and McConnell are talking about police reform laws.

Like it or not, we're in the middle of a real change and this isn't going away.

Ever hear the old saying "The more things change, the more they stay the same?"

I guess I just believe that.

Things don't really change because the fundamental nature of people doesn't change.

The same bad instincts by SOME of those in power will still be around in any "new " system we manage to create. 

If cutting police dept budgets will include cutting the number of officers patrolling the streets, where will those reduced numbers be most felt? In the poor, high crime neighborhoods where no wealthy, influential, high property tax paying citizens live.

So, the very people at the center of all this call for change and reducing the presence and power of the police, are likely going to be the ones who suffer from an increase in crime within their communities and who will soon be demanding an increase in police protection.

And around and around it goes.

Edited by JFW657

8 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Starbucks plans to close, renovate or move 400 traditional cafes, opening dozens of pickup-only stores in the U.S. and Canada in the next 18 months: https://www.wsj.com/articles/coronavirus-speeds-up-starbucks-shiftto-takeout-11591790405?mod=e2tw

Interesting, but I'm guessing maybe you meant to post this in another thread? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/10/business/ford-foundation-bonds-coronavirus.html

Another example of how much things are changing. Foundations going into debt during perilous times are virtually unheard of (although it’s basic Keynesian theory).

When change gets to a level like this, it’s generational, not just transient.

From the New York Times 

1 minute ago, jack said:

Just FYI, hotep is a term  we use to make fun of a certain black folks. Like, brutally. This brother is so far gone that he embraces the term! 

Well, I don't know anything about any racial slurs some use to refer to blacks who don't toe the line. but this is what it actually means....

Hotep (ḥtp; also rendered hetep) is an Egyptian word that roughly translates as "to be at peace". The word also refers to an "offering" ritually presented to a deity or a dead person, hence "be pleased, be gracious, be at peace". It is rendered in hieroglyphs as an altar/offering table (Gardiner sign R4). The noun ḥtp.w means "peace, contentment".  Davies (2018) interprets the concept of ḥtp as "the result of action in accord with maat [the proper order of the universe]".  

Hotep as part of ancient Egyptian names, such as Hotepsekhemwy (ḥr ḥtp-sḫm.wj "th e two powers are at peace"), the first ruler of Egypt's Second Dynasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotep#:~:text=Hotep (ḥtp%3B also rendered hetep,gracious%2C be at peace".

Maybe a certain "Uncle and Aunt" are a couple more terms your friends use to "make fun of a certain black folks"...?

It's a shame that a black person cannot express his personal sense of pride, independence and self confidence without being ridiculed with racial slurs by supposedly "enlightened" people.

Just goes to show that racists can be found on both sides of the political and ideological aisle, eh?

Some here really won't like this guy...... <_< 

:hi:

3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Well, I don't know anything about any racial slurs some use to refer to blacks who don't toe the line. but this is what it actually means....

Hotep (ḥtp; also rendered hetep) is an Egyptian word that roughly translates as "to be at peace". The word also refers to an "offering" ritually presented to a deity or a dead person, hence "be pleased, be gracious, be at peace". It is rendered in hieroglyphs as an altar/offering table (Gardiner sign R4). The noun ḥtp.w means "peace, contentment".  Davies (2018) interprets the concept of ḥtp as "the result of action in accord with maat [the proper order of the universe]".  

Hotep as part of ancient Egyptian names, such as Hotepsekhemwy (ḥr ḥtp-sḫm.wj "th e two powers are at peace"), the first ruler of Egypt's Second Dynasty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotep#:~:text=Hotep (ḥtp%3B also rendered hetep,gracious%2C be at peace".

Maybe a certain "Uncle and Aunt" are a couple more terms your friends use to "make fun of a certain black folks"...?

It's a shame that a black person cannot express his personal sense of pride, independence and self confidence without being ridiculed with racial slurs by supposedly "enlightened" people.

Just goes to show that racists can be found on both sides of the political and ideological aisle, eh?

Some here really won't like this guy...... <_< 

:hi:

You missed. it. The simplest way to explain it is a hotep is someone who is pro black but ends up being a character instead. They take it too far. If you remember the 80's all the jokes about the nation of islam brothers. It has nothing to do with politics as conservative and progressive brothers all agree hotels are the worst. 

And auntie is a term of endearment in the south. Not sure about uncle. 

23 minutes ago, jack said:

You missed. it. The simplest way to explain it is a hotep is someone who is pro black but ends up being a character instead. They take it too far. If you remember the 80's all the jokes about the nation of islam brothers. It has nothing to do with politics as conservative and progressive brothers all agree hotels are the worst. 

So, what does any of that have to do with anything either one of those guys said about being your own person and not relying on some fake excuses to explain why everything in life isn't perfect?

If any group are being "characters", it's these BLM drama queens who are treating George Floyd like some kind of martyred saint.

Nobody deserves to die for passing a fake $20, but he was not the hero that all these attention hounds who get in front of the TV cameras, weeping phony crocodile tears, are making him out to have been. The truth is that he was a sometimes violent career criminal with a lengthy arrest record.  For people to make him out as a hero and an icon who represents some imaginary "oppression", is just indicative of how backwards things have gotten and how easily led down a fake path so many people are.

I bet before any of this happened, most of the self-righteous marchers and protesters wouldn't have given Floyd a quarter if he approached them on the street.

It's very easy to see just how much of a political/social agenda is at work here.

And auntie is a term of endearment in the south. Not sure about uncle.

I was talking about a particular uncle and aunt....

Think T and J.

And no, they are not terms of endearment.

22 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

So, what does any of that have to do with anything either one of those guys said about being your own person and not relying on some fake excuses to explain why everything in life isn't perfect?

If any group are being "characters", it's these BLM drama queens who are treating George Floyd like some kind of martyred saint.

Nobody deserves to die for passing a fake $20, but he was not the hero that all these attention hounds who get in front of the TV cameras, weeping phony crocodile tears, are making him out to have been. The truth is that he was a sometimes violent career criminal with a lengthy arrest record.  For people to make him out as a hero and an icon who represents some imaginary "oppression", is just indicative of how backwards things have gotten and how easily led down a fake path so many people are.

I bet before any of this happened, most of the self-righteous marchers and protesters wouldn't have given Floyd a quarter if he approached them on the street.

It's very easy to see just how much of a political/social agenda is at work here.

I was talking about a particular uncle and aunt....

Think T and J.

And no, they are not terms of endearment.

I don't care if he was an accused murderer prior to his arrest. It is the job of a jury to convict someone and put them to death. The protesters are a large diverse collection of individuals who all may not agree on everything. Sure, you can go nut picking and find storage or distal views but who cares. None of it changes the fact that this guy died asa result of state violence.

Back to the hoteps, to hell with them. Even when they are reasonable, they can still pound sand.    

11 minutes ago, jack said:

I don't care if he was an accused murderer prior to his arrest. It is the job of a jury to convict someone and put them to death. The protesters are a large diverse collection of individuals who all may not agree on everything. Sure, you can go nut picking and find storage or distal views but who cares. None of it changes the fact that this guy died asa result of state violence.

Back to the hoteps, to hell with them. Even when they are reasonable, they can still pound sand.    

The protests are all phony BS afaic.

I respect those two so-called "hoteps" a lot more than I'll ever respect any BLM whiner and excuse maker.

What a shame when people who espouse not blaming the world for one's own personal failures are vilified and ridiculed.

Our society is swirling down the crapper.

If you want to know just how deep blue Orange County has become, look no further than the races for sheriff and state attorney. Neither have Republicans running.

There was a time not so long ago when the Republicans had the sheriff’s race mostly locked up - it was all about their “law and order” stance and they guarded it jealously.

The state attorney’s office was held for years by two mega-conservative Democrats, Robert Eagan and Lawson Lamar (Lawson was also a Sheriff), whose politics and prosecutorial styles were so far to the right they might as well have joined the GOP.

Now, the Republicans aren’t even fielding candidates. The times have definitely changed.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne--20200612-bn5ji4ldlrh7dparo4ezgkx564-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Of course, incumbent and front runner John Mina was a Republican until he wanted to run for office (previously, he was OPD chief after appointment by DINO Buddy Dyer). One fine day, we’ll act like a real city and county and elect real Democrats, not puppets of the corporate interests. However, we’re not there yet.

Edited by spenser1058

The "real Democrats" voices are being drowned out by shrill, ultra left-wing extremist, "progressives" who are doing their best to alienate common sense, moderates. 

I've voted strictly Democrat since Bill Clinton. Voted for Obama twice and would've voted for him a third time had I been able to. Voted for Hillary in '16. 

I used to consider myself a "yellow dog" Democrat, but not anymore. The progs are turning me off.

I'll vote for Biden in November, but honestly, I don't know how I'll be voting beyond that especially if my party keeps on being hijacked.

Edited by JFW657

The Sentinel’s editorial pulls no punches about just how badly on the wrong side of history Lake County is for adding a statue of a confederate officer just as cities throughout the South are removing theirs.

Jacksonville and Fort Myers here in Florida, for example, are hardly liberal bastions by anyone’s stretch of the imagination. They recognize, however, it’s time to move on.

That the provocateurs in Lake County are choosing to place the statue (of a man with zero ties to the community) in a courthouse with a history of horrible domestic terrorism against African-Americans by a sadistic bubba of a Sheriff makes this move all the more heinous.

Time to fix this, Lake County residents.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/editorials/os-op-lake-county-confederate-statue-protests-20200610-qlrzdhsej5fvhm2oj2wjtyb3re-story.html

Edited by spenser1058