LOCAL and Florida Politics

spenser1058

11 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Question: Why do you think she will be a fine replacement?

She has zero experience in the field: "Mercado, 46, also has worked for 15 years for the National Mango Board, a program under the U.S. Department of Agriculture that oversees and promotes the national mango agriculture industry. She serves as director of operations, an administrative role which she compared to the day-today responsibilities of the elected property appraiser."

I'd rather see someone who rose through the ranks with experience and professional qualifications elected - it doesn't matter to me if that person is a Democrat or a Republican. Rick Singh might be a scandal-machine, but at least he has some sort of certificate on the wall to show he is qualified to do the job (unlike Bill Donegan who also had a few scandals of his own). We already have unqualified judges and cabinet members being appointed to the highest levels of government and I'm sick of the low bar that we've set for people who serve in public office.

Truthfully? Because these positions shouldn’t even exist. As we learned with Earl K. Wood, the elected official isn’t who does the job in these roles, it’s the professional staff. (Btw, Bill Cowles over at Elections is a noticeable exception to this phenomenon).

The only reason they exist is job security for term-limited legislators. The Democrats fought tooth and nail to keep them as a way to claw back control of county government. Now that they have it, it’s probably time to revisit this.

It interests me how casually you accept corruption in government. It’s hard to believe now, but it’s been only a couple of decades ago that Orlando and Orange County, along with Florida’s state government, was known for good government. I want to get back to that, government for the people, not for lining the pockets of grifters. 

30 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Truthfully? Because these positions shouldn’t even exist. As we learned with Earl K. Wood, the elected official isn’t who does the job in these roles, it’s the professional staff. (Btw, Bill Cowles over at Elections is a noticeable exception to this phenomenon).

The only reason they exist is job security for term-limited legislators. The Democrats fought tooth and nail to keep them as a way to claw back control of county government. Now that they have it, it’s probably time to revisit this.

It interests me how casually you accept corruption in government. It’s hard to believe now, but it’s been only a couple of decades ago that Orlando and Orange County, along with Florida’s state government, was known for good government. I want to get back to that, government for the people, not for lining the pockets of grifters. 

You never explained why you said Amy Mercado would be a "fine replacement" though. Based on what exactly, identity politics?? At least with affirmative action you still need to be qualified for the job. What exactly makes her a better candidate than the other two running for the position: Khalid Muneer, a licensed real-estate broker; or Matt McDonald, who worked for Singh from 2015 to 2017 as a residential field appraiser?

Where did I say that I accept corruption in government? If anything, I'd consider it corrupt to elect someone to a position as a useless figurehead on the taxpayer dime. To be clear: at least Rick Singh is qualified, but he does not deserve to keep the position if the allegations are proven to be true. We did not know Rick Singh would be a scandal machine until much later, prior to being elected he was vetted as suitable. Beyond the usual standard of ethics, I want someone QUALIFIED, LICENSED & CREDENTIALED to be matched with the position they are running for and I don't care which party they align with or what they look like. I don't think that's asking for too much. Handing someone a position just because they kiss the ring for the cause is no better than what is occurring in the White House at the moment.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

You never explained why you said Amy Mercado would be a "fine replacement" though. Based on what exactly, identity politics?? At least with affirmative action you still need to be qualified for the job. What exactly makes her a better candidate than the other two running for the position: Khalid Muneer, a licensed real-estate broker; or Matt McDonald, who worked for Singh from 2015 to 2017 as a residential field appraiser?

Where did I say that I accept corruption in government? If anything, I'd consider it corrupt to elect someone to a position as a useless figurehead on the taxpayer dime. To be clear: at least Rick Singh is qualified, but he does not deserve to keep the position if the allegations are proven to be true. We did not know Rick Singh would be a scandal machine until much later, prior to being elected he was vetted as suitable. Beyond the usual standard of ethics, I want someone QUALIFIED, LICENSED & CREDENTIALED to be matched with the position they are running for and I don't care which party they align with or what they look like. I don't think that's asking for too much. Handing someone a position just because they kiss the ring for the cause is no better than what is occurring in the White House at the moment.

giphy.gif

Fair enough. It’s generally believed the other folks in the race would be unable to get enough traction to oust the incumbent.

Amy, otoh, is perceived as a rising star who could.

At this point, I’ll accept anyone other than a known evildoer like Singh. If you can make a plausible case for the electability of the others, sign me up.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Fair enough. It’s generally believed the other folks in the race would be unable to get enough traction to oust the incumbent.

Amy, otoh, is perceived as a rising star who could.

At this point, I’ll accept anyone other than a known evildoer like Singh. If you can make a plausible case for the electability of the others, sign me up.

Maybe she should be signed to a reality TV show instead.

An arena more suitable for "stars" and the starry-eyed.   

As impressionist David Frye once said, “people think long and hard about their beliefs, weigh the issues carefully, then go into the voting booth and vote for the best looking candidate”.

After 50 years of phone banking and precinct-walking (starting with Lawton’s first Senate run in 1970), I can tell you that people pick candidates, not issues.

The goal is to keep government moving in the right direction, especially in down-ballot races where voters aren’t paying much attention.

It’s also why OC voters used to reflexively vote for the “R” behind the name. That caused Democrats to fight for “non-partisan” races where the party affiliation wouldn’t show. Today, it’s the opposite.

It’s also why there was just a huge court case (the Dems, hoist on their own petard, lost) about which party’s candidates appear first on the ballot. Something that tiny regularly decides who wins in Florida, especially down the ballot.

Now, you may be above all that but most voters aren’t. In most cases, it’s not that voters don’t want to do the right thing - they do. However, they have lives and simply don’t have the time to drill deep in the issues. Sometimes that leads to odd conclusions like, “Keep your gu’mmint hands off my Medicare!”

It’s not about winning every vote, just 50% + 1 - and to show the corrupt ones the door.

Edited by spenser1058

29 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

As impressionist David Frye once said, “people think long and hard about their beliefs, weigh the issues carefully, then go into the voting booth and vote for the best looking candidate”.

After 50 years of phone banking and precinct-walking (starting with Lawton’s first Senate run in 1970), I can tell you that people pick candidates, not issues.

The goal is to keep government moving in the right direction, especially in down-ballot races where voters aren’t paying much attention.

It’s also why OC voters used to reflexively vote for the “R” behind the name. That caused Democrats to fight for “non-partisan” races where the party affiliation wouldn’t show. Today, it’s the opposite.

It’s also why there was just a huge court case (the Dems, hoist on their own petard, lost) about which party’s candidates appear first on the ballot. Something that tiny regularly decides who wins in Florida, especially down the ballot.

Now, you may be above all that but most voters aren’t. In most cases, it’s not that voters don’t want to do the right thing - they do. However, they have lives and simply don’t have the time to drill deep in the issues. Sometimes that leads to odd conclusions like, “Keep your gu’mmint hands off my Medicare!”

It’s not about winning every vote, just 50% + 1 - and to show the corrupt ones the door.

Sounds to me like you've got Singh tried and convicted without the bother of official charges having been filed or a trial having been conducted.

OCPA spokesperson Beth Watson said an investigative report conducted by Judge (Belvin) Perry found "no evidence" to support McGee and Hassan's allegations. Watson added that the two women were terminated last August after several months of paid leave during the investigation for "excessive violation of agency policies and unethical behavior."

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/11/29/lawsuit-alleges-rick-singh-had-strippers-in-office-paid-personal-trips-with-taxpayer-money

This sounds as much like a case of "Which side do you choose to believe?" as anything else.  

To me, the accusers don't come off as particularly believable.

25 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Sounds to me like you've got Singh tried and convicted without the bother of official charges having been filed or a trial having been conducted.

This sounds as much like a case of "Which side do you choose to believe?" as anything else.  

To me, the accusers don't come off as particularly believable.

Well, it’s certainly your decision who you choose to believe. Scott Maxwell at the Sentinel usually gets it right on these types of issues and he concludes there are red flags all over this:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-rick-singh-orange-property-scott-maxwell-20200313-lwwrbyzwrfhy7bbvzr7upqioju-story.html?outputType=amp

Within the local Democratic Party (remember, this is not pointing fingers across the aisle here), there’s not much disagreement that we can do better. We’re just hoping the Repubs up in Seminole come to the same conclusion about their rogue yahoo (Tax Collector Joel Greenberg).

Edited by spenser1058

45 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Well, it’s certainly your decision who you choose to believe. Scott Maxwell at the Sentinel usually gets it right on these types of issues and he concludes there are red flags all over this:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-rick-singh-orange-property-scott-maxwell-20200313-lwwrbyzwrfhy7bbvzr7upqioju-story.html?outputType=amp

Within the local Democratic Party (remember, this is not pointing fingers across the aisle here), there’s not much disagreement that we can do better. We’re just hoping the Repubs up in Seminole come to the same conclusion about their rogue yahoo.

Hmmmm..... Scott Maxwell vs Belvin Perry.... who to believe, who to believe..... ?   :huh:  

All I'm saying is that I'd rather wait until the truth can be determined before making a decision about who to believe.

The Maxwell article did make a good point about just doing the job and not getting oneself into such predicaments to begin with, but it doesn't make Singh not qualified for the job either. Vote him out in favor of someone else and we could end up with someone worse. 

Edited by JFW657

But wait! There’s more...

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/orange-county/os-ne-rick-singh-misconduct-probe-20200107-p6z7lnoyxjbwzfiekhncvqu5uu-story.html?outputType=amp

From the Sentinel 

What’s interesting here is that the reporter on the Weekly story now works for the Sentinel and the tone is decidedly different. Which makes sense- the nature of an alt Weekly is to throw its snark in support of the underdog. Nevertheless, as you mentioned about Scott’s piece, is this any way to run a railroad? And it’s been like this for most of his 8-year run.

I’m not satisfied with that but if you are, I’m sure Rick will welcome your support.

Edited by spenser1058

When the usual suspects in Tallahassee try to tell you they had no clue about Florida’s unemployment system or that it’s because of the recent surge, they’re lying.

The stories in major newspapers around the state about the problems and its intentional design to fail go back to 2013.

Fix It, Florida!

https://twitter.com/scott_maxwell/status/1258152962150596610?s=21

The fine folks in Tallahassee who created the mess now refuse to do anything about it:

https://twitter.com/carlosgsmith/status/1258797200546684929?s=21

EVERY Republican legislator voted against a special session to fix the DEO mess their party caused, make sure the unemployed have health care and to make sure the counties have the required resources for expanded vote by mail in November.

Fix It, Florida!

Cali is now a vote by mail state - every voter in the state will receive a ballot in advance of the November election. Their leaders appreciate how important it is for every one both to vote and stay safe.

The GOP in our legislature refuses to call a special session so Florida can make plans to do the same thing. Why,? Because the more people vote in the Sunshine State, the more they lose. 

For 22 years, Florida Republicans have fought our citizens at every turn. We can do better.

Fix It, Florida!

Business Insider reports vote by mail could increase from 23% of ballots in 2016 to more than 50% in 2020.

The good news it’s easier, more convenient, is likely to increase turnout and make low levels of fraud even more negligible (every ballot has a paper trail which is not the case in all states).

The bad news? We probably won’t know who won the presidency on November 3rd.

https://www.businessinsider.com/america-likely-wont-know-presidential-race-winner-on-election-night-2020-5

REGISTER TO VOTE BY MAIL TODAY!

I found this really interesting. Peter Schorsch, who runs the “Florida Politics” website and who leans right both by demographic tilt and because the GOP is where the money has been in Tallahassee for the last 22 years, observes that the state’s GOP is in trouble.

In short, finally, after 22 years, Florida voters seem to be “mad as h*ll and aren’t going to take it anymore”. The dysfunctional unemployment system that no Florida Republican wants to claim but so many worked to  create to do their dirty work is apparently the straw that’s going to break the elephant’s back.

Mr. Schorsch notes anger is so potent among voters that even the Democrats’ shallow bench with a dearth of even weak candidates may still have no trouble winning this fall in legislative races.

However we got here, it’s good to see the truth is finally out, even among those who’ve been carrying the GOP’s dirty water  for so long.

https://twitter.com/peterschorschfl/status/1260945013770518528?s=21

Edited by spenser1058

Once again, the GOP cabal in Tallahassee has been thwarted from retaining this last vestige of Jim Crow that keeps ex-felons from voting once their sentences are completed:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/politics/os-ne-amendment-4-judge-ruling-sunday-20200524-h5axxddum5do5mayjf3xlzqmqe-story.html

From the Sentinel 

Stay tuned for another appeal as voter suppression seems to be a thing with one of the parties.

https://twitter.com/aclu/status/1264670260613066759?s=21

Edited by spenser1058

Can rivers have rights just like people? It’s something both Orange and Seminole counties are looking into as a way to fight back against the gutting of environmental laws that has been all the rage in Tallahassee since 1999:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/seminole-county/os-ne-seminole-county-rights-of-nature-20200528-dwdivwhasnfkzhpevtjke6etzi-story.html

From the Sentinel