Orlando Extended Metro Developments (Volusia/Brevard/East Polk)

jrs2

10 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Mostly that is. The center core booster was unsuccessful at landing on the barge. However, half of the fairing was caught on a different boat.

• Thanks 1

The City of Daytona Beach strikes again, allowing a landmark on City Island to fall victim to demolition by neglect.

It’s bad enough when private owners do this but when a municipal government gets away with it, it’s inexcusable. Bithlo is better run.

https://www.news-journalonline.com/news/20190629/daytona-trying-to-decide-fate-of-world-war-ii-era-rec-center

From the News-Journal

Meanwhile, two tribute bands (covering Styx and Boston) will be performing at the Broadwalk’s Bandshell tonight starting at 7:15 followed by fireworks over the ocean.

https://www.hometownnewsvolusia.com/arts_and_entertainment/sail-away-to-the-daytona-bandshell/article_fe145cac-92bb-11e9-94b0-03e6562a3a9b.html

Great job by Friends of the Bandshell.

From Hometown News

Just now, AmIReal said:

Well, I'll be... never knew that. I must run with a boring crowd.

More likely I’m just infamous for The World’s Greatest Store of Useless Information.

As a kid, I was fascinated with urban design (my interest in Walt coming to town was more about building EPCOT than about getting a Magic Kingdom - I was a strange 7-year old). One of the first things I wanted to do was fix the Daytona Beach boardwalk, which even in the ‘60’s was a little seedy.

I proceeded to learn everything I could about it including the proper name (since there were never any boards other than on the pier, Broadwalk made more sense). That’s also why the follies of Daytona Beach city government make me so crazy even though I don’t live there.

Mayor Pete has observed that we can’t go back but that in going forward we can be more successful than ever.

This article from c|net about NASA and the Space Coast suggests that is definitely true for Brevard County:

https://www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/fifty-years-after-apollo-11-nasas-rocket-launches-are-as-exciting-as-ever/

Mike Bianchi bemoans the demise of the Firecracker 400 at Daytona.

I can confirm at least some of what he refers to. In 1969, my family was staying at the Kings’ Inn on A1A. My sister ended up babysitting for Cale Yarborough’s kids and spent the week on the beach along with teenagers from families of several of the pit crews.

It’s just another way Daytona is losing a special mojo it once had.  I’ll miss it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-nascar-mike-bianchi-0707-20190707-nywtn7gjrrgwzcfon7qailcwpa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Mike Bianchi bemoans the demise of the Firecracker 400 at Daytona.

I can confirm at least some of what he refers to. In 1969, my family was staying at the Kings’ Inn on A1A. My sister ended up babysitting for Cale Yarborough’s kids and spent the week on the beach along with teenagers from families of several of the pit crews.

It’s just another way Daytona is losing a special mojo it once had.  I’ll miss it.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-nascar-mike-bianchi-0707-20190707-nywtn7gjrrgwzcfon7qailcwpa-story.html

From the Sentinel 

We were heathens for a day for the Firecracker 400. Dad pull me out of Sunday School class to go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spenser1058 said:

AdventHealth taking 25% stake in Brevard’s Health First hospitals.

Huh, I thought that had fallen through. I know Advent Health was looking for a lot more than 25% so this must be the first step. It's unbelievable that Advent has kept their rate of expansion at such a high level for so long now. I have to imagine they'll stumble at some point along the way, probably not with the actually finding lucrative hospitals to buy, but with the actual conversion. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sethM said:

Huh, I thought that had fallen through. I know Advent Health was looking for a lot more than 25% so this must be the first step. It's unbelievable that Advent has kept their rate of expansion at such a high level for so long now. I have to imagine they'll stumble at some point along the way, probably not with the actually finding lucrative hospitals to buy, but with the actual conversion. 

We may be starting to see some of that. Lauren Ritchie at the Sentinel noted a while back that Orlando Health had eclipsed Advent 4 stars to 3 in the government’s most recent quality of care survey (for the Orlando area). It used to be that Florida Hospital usually ranked highest.

That reminded me a little of Publix which used to top any quality survey that came along, but since expanding into NC and VA have been sliding a notch or two in the most recent lists.

In either case, it’s not overwhelming but apparently overexpansion does have a measurable effect on the service you provide.

2 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It used to be that Florida Hospital usually ranked highest.

It makes a lot of sense. I'm definitely not an expert on health care services, but from hearing so much about the corporate side of things regarding the acquisitions and business practices it makes total sense that the quality of care has declined. 

• Like 1

Once again, the France children have demonstrated how little they care about the quality of the product in Daytona (apropos, given they’re selling off the city itself to the highest bidder).

Even more interesting, they’re moving next year’s race even closer to the peak of hurricane season. At least they’re consistent.

The good news in all this is that, finally, it seems women soccer players outrank NASCAR’s bubbas. Score a big one for the ladies!

Meanwhile, a 20-year old won the shortened race. This has to bode well for a 37-year old presidential candidate!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-coke-zero-sugar-mike-bianchi-0708-20190707-qauq3qegzbastkvdkvlxw35ybm-story.html

From the Sentinel