Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

Let’s hear it for the Knights’ WBB!

“Following back-to-back home wins over over Houston and then-No. 24 South Florida, the Knights (12-2, 4-0 AAC) were named the NCAA.com women’s basketball Team of the Week on Tuesday.”

From The Sentinel 

Charge On! And the hits just keep on coming…

Edited by spenser1058

17 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Now, here’s a game @AndyPok1won’t want to miss. Our football Knights will be playing Kent State in 2023. Charge On?

Fun fact.  Applied to 4 schools.  KSU has the hardest scholarship process (had to come on site and compete in various tests), and ended up offering me the least amount of money.  Needless to say, the $20 gift shop tee is the only attachment I have to the Golden Flashes.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 5:55 PM, AndyPok1 said:

Fun fact.  Applied to 4 schools.  KSU has the hardest scholarship process (had to come on site and compete in various tests), and ended up offering me the least amount of money.  Needless to say, the $20 gift shop tee is the only attachment I have to the Golden Flashes.

that Route 8 corridor is pretty cool...

I think the UCF win over UF was good for the UCF program.  People forget that USF beat FSU in Tally I believe several years ago- maybe back during the early 2010's or late 2000's.  UM lost to FIU a few years ago as well.

So now, you have the "parity" component with those programs vs the traditional powers in the state.

UCF gets another crack at UF in 2024.  Both Gus and Napes have 2022 and 2023 to get both programs to click at 100%.  By then, UCF will be a BIGXII program and that's going to be billed as a big matchup.  Big matchups bring big $$$.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cincy’s Coach Fickell is getting a well-deserved salary bump for both him and his staff that will make him the highest paid G5 coach. It goes until 2028.

It’s a testament that in a growing, successful program, loyalty is not a dirty word. 

After spending too much time on the coaching carousel the last few years, UCF can certainly hope the Gus Bus will follow in the footsteps of Coach O and Coach Mac and keep building the program for the long haul.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/33290702/cincinnati-football-coach-luke-fickell-agrees-new-5-million-per-year-deal-2028-source-says

From ESPN

• Like 1

NASCAR driver Aric Almirola - Built (in part) by UCF:

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/mike-bianchi-commentary/os-sp-aric-almirola-daytona-500-nascar-mike-bianchi-column-20220220-m22t4xh6mbg7hhbdd42hm5shey-story.html

From The Sentinel

And, unlike Urban, he really IS retiring to spend more time with his family.

Charge On!

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Woohoo! The Knights’ WBB will be the #7 seed vs. the #10 seed Florida Gators in the first round of March Madness on the 19th in Bridgeport (of course, @orange87 will be hoping the Knights advance instead of the Huskies…).

This is huge for the program and just another step forward as Orlando’s Hometown National Champions get ready for the Big XII.

Charge On!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Woohoo! The Knights’ WBB will be the #7 seed vs. the #10 seed Florida Gators in the first round of March Madness on the 19th in Bridgeport (of course, @orange87 will be hoping the Knights advance instead of the Huskies…).

This is huge for the program and just another step forward as Orlando’s Hometown National Champions get ready for the Big XII.

Charge On!

Sorry man. I'm rooting for the Huskies. lol

1 minute ago, jrs2 said:

I noticed that reference to what used to be the Lady Gators is now been tailored to just state Women's BB.  I haven't seen that moniker for other women's teams lately like the Lady Vols for example.  Has this been outlawed?

It does seem a bit 1950’s. I suppose I’d call them whatever they wish to be called.

5 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

It does seem a bit 1950’s. I suppose I’d call them whatever they wish to be called.

well, it's a little misleading when you do a google search and it says "Gators basketball beats______" and you find out it's the Lady Gators, not the Men's BB team.  This is getting out of hand.  I just found out the Cleveland Indians changed their name to the Guardians.  Pat Summit must be turning over in her grave... Anywho, that's my $.02.

Meanwhile, the Lady Gators BB team had a pretty good turnaround this season after their leading scorer transferred amidst the scandal (or whatever) with their former Bobby Knight-ish coach...  They ended up hiring the interim coach; she deserved it.

22 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

well, it's a little misleading when you do a google search and it says "Gators basketball beats______" and you find out it's the Lady Gators, not the Men's BB team.  This is getting out of hand.  I just found out the Cleveland Indians changed their name to the Guardians.  Pat Summit must be turning over in her grave... Anywho, that's my $.02.

Meanwhile, the Lady Gators BB team had a pretty good turnaround this season after their leading scorer transferred amidst the scandal (or whatever) with their former Bobby Knight-ish coach...  They ended up hiring the interim coach; she deserved it.

Given that WBB right now is beating the socks off MBB in the state, maybe we should go the other way. The women will be the default Gators and the guys will be referred to as the “Gentlemen Gators?” Of course, with coaches like Urban Liar, that’s something of an oxymoron.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Given that WBB right now is beating the socks off MBB in the state, maybe we should go the other way. The women will be the default Gators and the guys will be referred to as the “Gentlemen Gators?” Of course, with coaches like Urban Liar, that’s something of an oxymoron.

good point. at least at UT, the Lady Vols were the premiere "franchise" there and the "Gentleman" Vols were a total afterthought...

not to hijack the thread, but the UF Men's BB team beat Pitino the other night. I did not know that; I assumed they'd lose.  But the tussle between UCF and UF in Women's BB looms...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrs2 said:

good point. at least at UT, the Lady Vols were the premiere "franchise" there and the "Gentleman" Vols were a total afterthought...

not to hijack the thread, but the UF Men's BB team beat Pitino the other night. I did not know that; I assumed they'd lose.  But the tussle between UCF and UF in Women's BB looms...

I think there was some gumption in playing for Coach W that showed up (not unlike Ukraine pulling way above its weight against Pootin)…

Woohoo! UCF WBB take out the Gators 69-52 and head to the second round of the Big Dance. Charge On!

This whole thing of beating the folks from Hogtown on the regular could be addictive. I like it!

If this keeps up, maybe we’ll feature the Gators on this year’s v-Christmas card with Knightro and Dr. Cartwright! Duh Cows are sooooo last year...

Edited by spenser1058
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Congratulations to the Huskies in WBB, who defeated our Knights 52-47. Our women kept it close and in a friendly crowd for CT, so it’s a good first run at the title for us. Charge On!

Congrats to UCF for at least making it to the second round. They put up a good fight. This Saturday, UConn has a very tough opponent with Indiana.

• Like 1

so apparently the Women's BB team has a very good defense...nationally known in other words...UCF is making inroads...if Gus keeps it up, the football Knights will be recognized even more as a legit team but now as a P5 team...but he's gotta keep it up so the talk isn't that UCF couldn't hack it, because you know that talk is coming from the naysayers...

• Like 1

Did you Knight Your Ride yet? We’re trending! That awesome black and gold plate is just the thing to spiff up your car.

As of March 29, 2022 and over last 2 years:

cow u: 14,899 (-93 decrease over last 2 years)
Miami: 28,761 (+1,911)
UCF: 33,382 (+6,159)

While you’re at it, get your KnightPass from CFX. It’s good on the I4 Lexus lanes!