Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

In this article from FOX13 (a Tampa station) which notes that Tampa has been declared “Best Sports City”, they left out Duh Cows entirely but they did mention UCF. It seems we’re Tampa’s Hometown Champions, too (after all, our guys have won at Ray Jay more lately than the kids from Temple Terrace)! I like that.

https://www.fox13news.com/news/another-title-for-tampa-best-sports-city

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

so here's something interesting... Cincy plays Bama; Houston plays Auburn, and UCF plays UF...

We’re all Charging On to the Power 5!

Meanwhile, this is priceless:

https://twitter.com/UCF/status/1473069703539175427?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1473069703539175427%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

that was pretty good!  and only locals will get the inside joke on the Majesty Bldg....

I didn't realize until this video just how much UCF disdains the "cows" from Tampa...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Once they Genshafted us, that was that. Revenge is a dish best served cold…

...well I knew you had disdain for them for a while now...

I have to say...other than needling you all these years on the UCF vs USF thing, I was pretty pissed at Genshaft when that all went down back when it happened.  I was pissed b/c I saw it as a Tampa vs Orlando slighting... like they were so much better than us...

regardless of the outcome tonight, a Florida team is winning on their home field.

• Like 1

This is just one more win for UCF in the Bounce House West (aka RayJ). Yes, we’ve won more in Duh Cows’ home pasture the last two years than they have.

We also beat the Gators there while they lost miserably to our former big bros from Hogtown.

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

On 12/24/2021 at 4:32 PM, jrs2 said:

Congrats on the win. I agree it was a big win for UCF. Now they need to build off of it and not look back.

It was a hard-fought game that could easily have gone to the Gators but in the end I think it’s clear the Knights had more to prove in that particular game and wanted it just a little more.

Watching missed opportunities and lots of mistakes on both sides, the biggest takeaway for both teams is the need for continuity. Folks wonder why Florida’s three major teams dominated for so long and now the wheels have fallen off. It’s because the coaching carousel for all the schools here has gotten ridiculous.

I really believe that Gus, after putting up with the nonsense with Auburn’s boosters micromanaging their coaches, is happy to be at a place where, at his age, the program is his to build and leave a legacy. He’ll build the same solid foundation for UCF in the Power 5 that George O’Leary did for us in the G5 (hopefully, Gus will make it a tad more interesting than GOL often did).

Then, in fifteen years or so, KZ  can come back to his alma mater and have the impact SOS had in Gainesville. Both are beloved at their schools because of an “it” factor that can’t be bought.

The Gators, of course, are already in the big time - they just need a coach that can build the program each year and with the resources to move from the middle of the SEC to the top. If Billy is given the time he needs to do that, there’s no reason UF can’t reliably be one of the top three or four teams in college’s top league. Theoretically, there’s no reason Billy should need to look for another job if the Gators give their support (and Billy’s mentioned his dad was more a fan of the Gators than those damn ‘Dawgs, although in Chatsworth, GA, he knew to keep it to himself).

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1

The Gus Bus runs up to Apopka and adds another 4-star player, Kaven Call:

https://twitter.com/Kavencall7/status/1474787246352080912?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1474787246352080912%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=

After they beat Florida that really sealed it for me and I knew then I wanted to play for the best team in Florida,"

Coach Heup all but ignored Apopka and most of Florida. It’s good to see homegrown talent that’s more likely to stick with the Hometown Gatorstoppers.

”Of the 14 UCF signed during the Early Signing Period for the 2022 class, 12 play in the state of Florida…” - Jason Beede, Sentinel 

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058

Remember how the four new teams were supposedly so weak the Big XII would be tossed out of the Power 5 conferences?

Well. Three ranked in the top 25, one in the CFP, and UCF, the one in a down year, just took out an SEC legacy team by two touchdowns. Let’s remember they did it with a lot fewer resources than any P5 team.

Now, wanna talk about Texas? Heaven knows they have more money than Elon Musk, but how’s that translating on the field? Given Texas needs more cash like I need lifts on my shoes (I’m 6’4), the HBC had a point when he questioned whether a team that can’t win in the Big XII is going to be an SEC powerhouse?

In college football lately, as Spock said, “logic is little tweeting bird”.

Some of these folks are so locked into preconceived notions, they can’t see daylight.

Edited by spenser1058

Here’s everything you need to know about Auburn: they had a losing season before they hired Gus (2012) and then winning seasons every year until the year after they fired Gus (2021). Couldn’t happen to a nicer group of folks, right?

As the song says, “you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone”. Think how much they paid Gus to leave (for which the UCF faithful are forever thankful) so they could have a losing season. War Eagle!

BTW, if you’re scoring at home, another SEC blue blood just lost to a team that was too weak to justify entrance to a Power 5 conference. Hmmmm…

Edited by spenser1058

22 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Here’s everything you need to know about Auburn: they had a losing season before they hired Gus (2012) and then winning seasons every year until the year after they fired Gus (2021). Couldn’t happen to a nicer group of folks, right?

As the song says, “you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone”. Think how much they paid Gus to leave (for which the UCF faithful are forever thankful) so they could have a losing season. War Eagle!

BTW, if you’re scoring at home, another SEC blue blood just lost to a team that was too weak to justify entrance to a Power 5 conference. Hmmmm…

Auburn lost to a bunch of horny older women and/or Mav's former wingman.  Don't forget...the Cougars are the same franchise to field teams with Andre Ware and David Klinger and took national champ Miami to task back in the early '90's.

Auburn lost b/c of horrible offense play.  They had HOU beat twice in the 4th quarter but just couldn't get it done on offense.  I would say Gus made a bad call by recruiting legacy player Beaunicks who never was able to be consistent enough to keep his starting job.  Gus and Dan had similar problems with QB recruits that didn't pan out- but when it was exposed...it was just too late to recover from it.

That's why Auburn lost. 

And that's why UF lost to UCF.  UF lost to UCF not only because of how they performed in the game last week; they lost because of what they DIDN'T do back in 2018/2019 in recruiting.  WARNING:  UF story ensuing:

Actually, see the Gators thread instead...  this is good.

You may be right about Gus and Beaunicks - I haven’t paid a lot of attention to the nuts and bolts of Auburn and more to how the politics has sorted out. I will say this - any coach who could beat Saban three times is likely a better bet than what they’ve got now. But hey, we’re benefiting from Auburn’s folly.

It’s hard for me to understand Gus messing up their recruiting though, because in less than a year he’s transformed ours. Some of that is because we can say we’re going to the Big XII but the hs coaches around town are singing Gus’ praises, especially compared to Heup who completely ignored the talent in his own backyard.

Auburn, of course, is b***thurt because the Tide has the state government wrapped around their finger. No it isn’t fair but, hey, it’s Alabama. And Tuscaloosa is paranoid, to the point where they shut down UAB’s football program as if they were some sort of threat. It was a ridiculous case of doing it just because they could.

Once upon a time, when you went to UF, pledged ATO and signed on to Blue Key to join our state’s power structure, Gainesville had that kind of pull. They’re still getting used to not having that, starting with Jeb! and all the Republicans that have no ties to the state.

Oh well, all I can say is I’m happy as can be with events, especially since Duh Cows are absolutely miserable. Florida appears to have four competent head coaches now, so it’s likely to be fun again!

• Like 1