Orlando's Hometown National Champions

Jernigan

9 hours ago, Jernigan said:

Not worth it.   

No, I got your point before about the mutual scheduling of the Utah team.  UCF views itself as a big time college football program because they beat Auburn in 2017.  Except that most others don’t, and therein lies the problem.

41 minutes ago, Jernigan said:

Pitt fans can can now purchase a commemorative shirt to celebrate their huge win over a national power.

https://shoppittpanthers.com/pittsburgh-panthers-pitt-special-football-t-shirt

A t-shirt for a regular season game against a lowly G5 team. Amazing how we supposedly don’t matter, isn’t it?

I confess I’m really thrilled about playing Boise and BYU. Slowly but surely, what we’re building and the quality of football we’re playing makes it really easy to avoid the attitude conferences who need to take a closer look at their own lesser teams.

It reminds me of the Miami Dolphins in the “inferior” AFL that ended up going undefeated.

I’m also pleased we’re building our program without the thuggery of the folks up the road. Seeing our guys talking about becoming a family instead of stealing crab legs is an amazing thing.

Edited by spenser1058

56 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

A t-shirt for a regular season game against a lowly G5 team. Amazing how we supposedly don’t matter, isn’t it?

I confess I’m really thrilled about playing Boise and BYU. Slowly but surely, what we’re building and the quality of football we’re playing makes it really easy to avoid the attitude conferences who need to take a closer look at their own lesser teams.

It reminds me of the Miami Dolphins in the “inferior” AFL that ended up going undefeated.

I’m also pleased we’re building our program without the thuggery of the folks up the road. Seeing our guys talking about becoming a family instead of stealing crab legs is an amazing thing.

Did LSU print a t-shirt for beating UCF?  Consider the source.  Shame on Pitt.  Tony Dorsett and Dan Marino are tolling over in their graves and they ain't dead yet.

Vandy is a lesser program in the SEC,  but its a superior institution, so they get a pass.

Just in case people forgot, "crab legs" is an FSU reference.

Peace!

32 minutes ago, jrs2 said:

Did LSU print a t-shirt for beating UCF?  Consider the source.  Shame on Pitt.  Tony Dorsett and Dan Marino are tolling over in their graves and they ain't dead yet.

Vandy is a lesser program in the SEC,  but its a superior institution, so they get a pass.

Just in case people forgot, "crab legs" is an FSU reference.

Peace!

Yep, a team with 9 (Nine!) National Championships isn't very important (and who just beat Clemson a couple of years ago).

Edited by spenser1058

3 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

Yep, a team with 9 (Nine!) National Championships isn't very important (and who just beat Clemson a couple of years ago).

oh.

I misunderstood your comment.  no, I was talking about Vandy as being a perennial doormat in the SEC...I thought that's what you were referring to...

59 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

*Bounces around the room with jrs2*

I like it.  It's a motto; slogan; and it's catchy.  It makes it memorable. 

Boise has the blue field; UF has The Swamp; Clemson and LSU both claim Death Valley and they're both Tigers...interesting.

• Like 1

Just now, jrs2 said:

Does this guy "Rob" even realize that Pitt is ridiculing UCF with that billboard?  I don't think he does based on his tweet, and that, is funny.

Oh I think he does - they spent all that money on a team that doesn’t matter. If they really thought we were beneath them they wouldn’t care. Have we ever made t-shirts and put up billboards about an FCS team? For that matter, have we done so about ANY FBS regular-season team?

We’re just enjoying the hypocrisy - it’s like listening to Trump supporters praise their support of family values.

The deeper one goes in to it, it’s become quite clear just how hypersensitive most FBS teams are about quickly becoming irrelevant. TBH, before all this started I wasn’t as conscious of it.

When even the ruler of the roost, Nick Saban, does it, you do have to sort of wonder about the sport sometimes.

12 minutes ago, spenser1058 said:

Oh I think he does - they spent all that money on a team that doesn’t matter. If they really thought we were beneath them they wouldn’t care. Have we ever made t-shirts and put up billboards about an FCS team? For that matter, have we done so about ANY FBS regular-season team?

We’re just enjoying the hypocrisy - it’s like listening to Trump supporters praise their support of family values.

The deeper one goes in to it, it’s become quite clear just how hypersensitive most FBS teams are about quickly becoming irrelevant. TBH, before all this started I wasn’t as conscious of it.

When even the ruler of the roost, Nick Saban, does it, you do have to sort of wonder about the sport sometimes.

yeahhhh.... sorry, spenser.  that's not what's going on here.  re-read that tweet.

UCF Rob does not realize it.  And here's why:

He wants to illustrate the difference between the Pitt and UCF "mentality." 

His comparison to what UCF did in 2018 was to illustrate how UCF's victory over Pitt in 2018 was no big deal to them; just another day at the office; business as usual, while Pitt fans made t-shirts and a GoFundMe to sponsor a billboard post- victory.  That's the premise of his comparison.  He never states anything about Pitt fans being classless for taking jabs at UCF's 2017 NC*.

If UCF Rob merely wanted to state that Pitt fans are classless, all he had to do was post this:  "Look at how classless Pitt fans are by ridiculing UCF's 2017 NC* with this billboard." Done.  End of story.

But that's not what he did.  He is comparing Pitt's perception of a 1 point victory over UCF to UCF's perception of a 31 point victory over Pitt.  In that comparison he states that as a result of a mere 1 point victory over UCF, Pitt prints t-shirts and starts a GoFundMe to sponsor a billboard, while on the other hand, UCF, didn't see a 31 point victory over Pitt as any accomplishment to speak of and gave it no more thought.

He then states that "power 5 teams are kinda pathetic" with no more detail about it, sans the image of the billboard. Is it pathetic to ridicule UCF for their claimed* 2017 NC*?  No, it's a legitimate argument to make.  Or is it pathetic for a P5 school to tear down goal posts (metaphorically) for beating a "lesser" G5 team?  Absolutely.  I personally have criticized schools for tearing down goal posts and shooting off fireworks for beating the Gators (UT and FSU), because they aren't acting like they were expected to do it.  

Like I said, if he was complaining that Pitt was taking jabs at UCF's 2017 NC* then why compare the point differentials in both games?  That's irrelevant.  All that is relevant is that Pitt beat UCF and "took" their claimed* crown per the jab.  But he makes no mention of that.  

*issue already addressed last year in prior posts

On 9/25/2019 at 7:17 PM, Jernigan said:

So here’s my take.  It’s the oldest trick in the book...saw it in Dirty Harry, actually:

UCF is ticked about the offer for a 2 for 1; ticked about Utah.  They lose to Pitt.  This thing surfaces about the Gofundme and billboard from a UCF fan.  People think Pitt fans are a-holes for it.  Then they say it’s a pathetic Gators fan.  Oh...okay...

In the end, it was probably a UCF fan to begin with, setting it up to get back at UF.  You see, UF is where UCF wants to be.  UF doesn’t need to take jabs etc b/c they are already at the top of the pecking order, not trying to claw and complain and attack like I’ve been seeing for the longest time by UCF fans, you know, playing the victim card.  They attack UF and attack the fans for supporting them and the P5.  Meanwhile, UF and UF fans just sit back and watch UCF and UCF fans implode from what I am diagnosing as a type of P5 “derangement syndrome.”

This could all have been avoided if UCF would’ve just made better decisions when it mattered...

I think you are using parody but it’s 2019 and I’ve seen much worse fake news today.  

But it’s really not circumstantial.  The dude that made the go fund me has a fairly uncommon name and that name was easily connected to a Superfan at UF.   It’s not a big deal - rivals do this sort of thing to each other all the time.  

The funny thing (or painful depending on who you are) is that this really happened.  Just like the Pitt t-shirts really happened.

UF fans are paying more attention to UCF than FSU.

Pittsburgh ragarded the UCF win bigger than any of their ACC wins outside of maybe Clemson.

It is what it is.  Actions speak.  The rest is just tweets and blogs.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Jernigan said:

I think you are using parody but it’s 2019 and I’ve seen much worse fake news today.  

But it’s really not circumstantial.  The dude that made the go fund me has a fairly uncommon name and that name was easily connected to a Superfan at UF.   It’s not a big deal - rivals do this sort of thing to each other all the time.  

The funny thing (or painful depending on who you are) is that this really happened.  Just like the Pitt t-shirts really happened.

UF fans are paying more attention to UCF than FSU.

Pittsburgh ragarded the UCF win bigger than any of their ACC wins outside of maybe Clemson.

It is what it is.  Actions speak.  The rest is just tweets and blogs.

Hmmm. Perhaps.

But I think this article says it all:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/ucf-site-taking-gofundme-donations-to-investigate-the-sec/

The final Civil conFLiCT is history and our Knights took the win with just about the entire bench playing sometime during the game. Next up: Cinci -Charge On! Note to jrs2: we still had a great turnout despite the lackluster competition...

Meanwhile, SMU wiped out the poor Cows. Sadly, OC wunderkind Kerwin Bell’s schemes seem a tad too complex for the hapless bovines. They play UCONN next. Hopefully they can beat the Huskies or else we might as well send ‘em to the nearest Temple Terrace hamburger factory.

https://twitter.com/ucf_football/status/1178102160048812033?s=21

Edited by spenser1058

Our Knights are #19 in this week’s Coaches Poll (up 4!), within four places of BSU:

Memphis also makes the cut at #23.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-alabama-new-no-1-ohio-state-receives-first-place-votes-in-college-football-rankings/

From CBS Sports 

Charge On!

Edited by spenser1058