Hourglass District

sunshine

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tony's Auto Repair, the old F&D, and the car wash were torn down on Monday.   No demo permit or building permit appear to have been filed.  Found them!  2420 vs 2400 Curry Ford Rd  Sooooo interesting.   Earlier in the year the properties were transferred to a developer that specializes in apartment buildings and townhomes.  So maybe this is some actual forward movement.

Developers website shows this:

image.thumb.png.feb67f34a371730d51b94471dba16325.png

image.png.532e7c4895db72c36a6cd3585ecca1c6.png

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, codypet said:

I mean this all screams tilt wall construction. I don't think its too expensive to construct, even with many of these details.

Concrete is expensive no matter what. Block, PT, CIP or tilt wall, it is all expensive. You will save some money on BR, but financing, leverage and expenses are all going the wrong way. 

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, JFW657 said:

New businesses going into the old Family Dollar and Beef O'Brady's location next to Winn Dixie... 

famdoll3.jpg

The sign on the Mecatos location says it's a Columbian bakery. 

Curry Ford West mentioned Mecatos but didn't mention about O'Reilly.  I was hoping they were gonna go into the CVS that just closed.

1 hour ago, jgardnerucf said:

You meant to say though, "the old movie theater".

Nope. I meant to say the old Family Dollar and Beef O'Brady's because they were the two prominent businesses that most recently occupied the building.

:thumbsup: 

I think there was a gym in the Beef O'Brady's side for awhile. 

The movie theater has been gone for somewhere around twenty years.  

Guess we know where the O'Reilly's employees will be eating at a lot.... 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Nope. I meant to say the old Family Dollar and Beef O'Brady's because they were the two prominent businesses that most recently occupied the building.

:thumbsup: 

I think there was a gym in the Beef O'Brady's side for awhile. 

The movie theater has been gone for somewhere around twenty years.  

Guess we know where the O'Reilly's employees will be eating at a lot.... 

Core and More Fitness

That said I do crack up about how optimistic the people who live in this corridor are.  Acting like this is Edgewater Dr or Corrine and then hem and haw when Dollar Tree, O'Reilly and other dumpy chains move in.  The wide corridor kind of encourages that.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, codypet said:

Core and More Fitness

That said I do crack up about how optimistic the people who live in this corridor are.  Acting like this is Edgewater Dr or Corrine and then hem and haw when Dollar Tree, O'Reilly and other dumpy chains move in.  The wide corridor kind of encourages that.  

And man did people in the neighborhood gripe and moan when they did the temporary bike lane / lane removal program. Curry Ford will never be pedestrian friendly.

32 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

And man did people in the neighborhood gripe and moan when they did the temporary bike lane / lane removal program. Curry Ford will never be pedestrian friendly.

I don't think that was the people in that neighborhood.  I think that was the people in Conway and east who were using that neighborhood as a cut through to avoid 408.  After a few days the amount of cars cutting through virtually cut in half.  I wish those changes were permanent.  Unfortunately Mayor Dyer stated that the feedback from that study ensures there won't be something like that there again.   Unfortunate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, codypet said:

Core and More Fitness

Well, I'm one of those people and I welcomed the Dollar Tree, "dumpy chain" though it might be. I go there weekly. Gauche of a thing as that is to admit. 

Mecato sounds like it might have something of interest for me and nothing wrong with an auto parts store. I'll probably shop there occasionally. 

As for trendy Edgewater Dr, it doesn't impress me or most regular, non-hipster folks who don't need to feel validated by which kind of business establishments are near their neighborhoods. 

29 minutes ago, FLClarkKent said:

As if anyone would ever walk along Curry Ford anyway.

Odd how some people love the idea of choking thoroughfares and snarling vehicular traffic just to accommodate a couple of dozen bicyclists per day. Probably for similar self image related reasons as those who think Edgewater Dr is the epitome of urban hipness every other part of town should strive to be like. 

7 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Odd how some people love the idea of choking thoroughfares and snarling vehicular traffic just to accommodate a couple of dozen bicyclists per day. 

You don’t decide whether or not to build a bridge based on  how many people are swimming across the river.

• Like 1