Unified Development Ordinance

kermit

17 hours ago, nyxmike said:

All across the city, mostly in more suburban locations... there's lots of instances where one side has them and the other side doesn't, or there's no curb at all on either side. Just curious why it's so inconsistent. 

Oh, got it. I would suppose it either has to do with the road engineering (does all of the water shed to one side, for example), or whatever the last road project done just didn't touch that side as part of the scope. If there's a sufficient swale that can naturally absorb/control stormwater, a curb isn't needed to control water. Poured curbs are definitely a premium so you often don't see them on older roadways or suburban/ rural areas. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

What might last night's election mean for UDO passage?  Well, the council that barely passed the Comp Plan will vote on the UDO in August, so one would think it should pass by a similar slight margin.  

2040 Plan Yes Votes

• Winston - Reelected
  • Ajmera - Reelected
  • Graham - Reelected
  • Eiselt - Leaving Council
  • Phipps - Leaving Council (Had been viewed as swing vote, but voted yes to move on)
  • Egleston - Leaving Council and replaced by Anderson

2040 Plan No Votes

• Watlington - Reelected
  • Johnson - Reelected
  • Newton - Leaving Council and Replaced by Molina
  • Driggs - Reelected
  • Bokhari - Reelected

• 3 weeks later...

These numbers suggest the UDO is mostly on the right track with its enabling of infill, but attention to parking minimums is also critical to stimulating infill. These numbers also indicate that transit expansion (enabling reduced VMT) will also be critical to meeting climate goals (and facilitate parking removal). Electric vehicles appear to have roughly the same impact as eating less meat on carbon outputs.

These data are for Sacramento, which is not hugely dissimilar to Charlotte in terms of land use and climate.

https://coolclimate.berkeley.edu/ca-scenarios/index.html

2F7B003E-585A-4F9E-83F9-9496482D8FB1.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4

I don’t have any real sense of public comments on the UDO (other than the standard "they are banning single family housing" nonsense) so I can’t evaluate the accuracy of this, but it is interesting and it surprises me.

30201842-0EB2-4603-BE10-3FAD1EAC0A16.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

One thing not in the UDO is short term rental issues aka Airbnb/VRBO rentals.  Ledger had this piece about it today and how it is problem in some neighborhoods.  Most newer neighborhoods and condo banned short term rentals less than 30 days or even 6 months.

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/stopping-charlottes-airbnb-party

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

One thing not in the UDO is short term rental issues aka Airbnb/VRBO rentals.  Ledger had this piece about it today and how it is problem in some neighborhoods.  Most newer neighborhoods and condo banned short term rentals less than 30 days or even 6 months.

https://charlotteledger.substack.com/p/stopping-charlottes-airbnb-party

this is a problem in parts of Dilworth. Lots of Airbnb parties around MLS games.

Edited by kermit

Victoria Watlington leads the Cul-de-sac Coalition.  Tarik has stood down, and now she's speaking up, as though there's a pact.   Her reasoning is spotty, but she seems willing to pull out every stop to thwart this thing.

Newton also against.

So looks as though this will line up along 2040 Comp Plan margins.

Edited by RANYC

One way to regulate this and not shut down peoples property rights is say you can have an Airbnb or short term rental on your property as long as you live there as well.  I have stay in garage apartments next to or above in San Antonio, West Palm and Miami but in all cases the owner lived on site.  I agree with the statement that under the lack of current rules the city is allowing hotel like places in areas not zoned for such.    I have an Airbnb rental in a highly regulated condo complex in Hilton Head and places like that are not the problem as our HOA allows this.  Most newer neighborhoods in Charlotte do not allow short term rentals of any kind unless longer than 6 months.  No one in  residential neighborhood should have to put up with folks creating problems just because they happened to live next door to a short term rental.  So require the owner to live on site and this will shut down really quick unless it outside the city.    And if there is a problem short term  rental in  your neighborhood look up the owner and call the police if there are problems.  Once you have multiple complaints they are supposed to fine the owner I know that is the way it is with long term rentals so why not with short term rentals.  

I just did a quick search and way too many people in Charlotte offer rentals for 1 night.  That is part of the problem.  Min 2 night you wont have many of these problems.  My min. night is even higher than 3-14 nights min.  all different times of the year.  But after a quick search on Airbnb for a Friday night in Oct.  I found multiple places I could have stayed in Charlotte.  

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see how Mecklenburg County responds to this ordinance with respect to the unincorporated parts of Mecklenburg, and how the other incorporated towns in the county respond.

Meanwhile, my home town of Weddington (Union County, sharing a border with Mecklenburg) will continue to welcome Charlotte escapees like me who see R-40 single-family zoning, neighborhood schools, and lower property taxes as virtues.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, norm21499 said:

Single family zoning, lower taxes and neighborhood schools are not virtues, as these do not support good morals.

Wow.  I guess I'm immoral by the new standards of Charlotte's City Council.

People in the "ring counties" are already suspicious of any sort of regional zoning or planning.  UDO will sharpen the political and economic divisions between blue Mecklenburg and the red suburban counties.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

What makes this all complicated is the very likely housing bubble crash that has begun. It's rather odd but I would say there is a shortage and bubble at the same time.

Bubbles don't form in vacuums after-all, some kind-of shortage needs to kick off higher prices. When the market becomes heated for too long though, bubble psychology begins. More institutional money gets involved.

The FED driving interest rates to near zero and big banks dumping cash into every nook and cranny in real estate was the primary cause of the second housing bubble.

So, were all gonna have to wait 3-4 years to see how much of these absurd prices are due to bubble hysteria or the real shortage of walkable urbanism. We need to see how far prices bottom out.

A big complicating factor is recent surveys suggesting there's a fair amount of people who had been anticipating this (including institutional money), so they might put in enough money to soften the landing.

Best case scenario, the demand for horrible overpriced oversized homes gets wiped off the face the Earth.