Unified Development Ordinance

kermit

""Policy 2.1 in the 2040 Comprehensive Plan will allow duplexes and triplexes to be built on any lot currently zoned for single-family only, except for areas where an HOA or covenants disallow this. This policy is an essential part of the plan because it will allow more “missing middle” housing within neighborhoods.  And increasing the housing supply is critical to addressing our housing affordability problem.  When we restrict housing, we reduce the supply, increasing the price.""

^ @KJHburgwhat type of housing would you consider to be ‘missing middle’ in areas where the highest density option is a triplex?

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, kermit said:

They like long duration income streams only when they deliver higher risk-adjusted returns than treasuries. The only way to bring those returns down for institutional investors in housing is to build more — even just credibly threatening to build more (the UDO) will increase risks for institutional investors.

Institutional money is only rapacious when there is an inefficiency they can exploit.

Sorry, but I disagree with you.  The forces driving institutional acquisitions of residential real estate and the predictable, and captive income streams they bring, are way more complex than anything the UDO and its crafters are even close to solving.  But we digress and it's not really a debate worth discussing further in this thread, I don't think.  Do I think the UDO is some sort of smoking gun for housing affordability?  No.  Are some of its principles good for sustainability and for shaping Charlotte's urban form?  Yes.  Should density be encouraged as policy in swaths of the city?  Yes.  Should density be encouraged in every corner of the city, even before we extend the reach of secure, frequent, and reliable transit?  No.  Does the transit plan with the Silver extend the reach of frequent, secure, and reliable transit to all the corners of Charlotte that are seeing density?  No, instead it appears to concentrate it along a line.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

It's inevitable that the first wave of projects will stick out like a sore thumb in exclusive single-family areas. This is the phase where leaders will need to have courage to stay the course as the urban form evolves into something new.

I also don't think smaller missing-middle like triplexes and rowhomes should be thought of as creating transit-supporting density. Rather, they are building blocks towards walkable, 15-minute neighborhoods. I don't know what the UDO says (if anything) about small-scale neighborhood commercial, but that is a crucial component to avoiding the worst-case scenario of auto-oriented density. 16-to-20 dwelling units per acre is regarded as the minimum density to make neighborhood commercial viable. That density is achievable with triplexes and rowhomes. The goal would be for gently higher densities to enable neighborhood businesses which residents can reach without a car. That, I think, is a more palatable evolution for most neighborhoods to aspire to, rather than wholesale teardowns. 

• Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, jthomas said:

It's inevitable that the first wave of projects will stick out like a sore thumb in exclusive single-family areas. This is the phase where leaders will need to have courage to stay the course as the urban form evolves into something new.

I also don't think smaller missing-middle like triplexes and rowhomes should be thought of as creating transit-supporting density. Rather, they are building blocks towards walkable, 15-minute neighborhoods. I don't know what the UDO says (if anything) about small-scale neighborhood commercial, but that is a crucial component to avoiding the worst-case scenario of auto-oriented density. 16-to-20 dwelling units per acre is regarded as the minimum density to make neighborhood commercial viable. That density is achievable with triplexes and rowhomes. The goal would be for gently higher densities to enable neighborhood businesses which residents can reach without a car. That, I think, is a more palatable evolution for most neighborhoods to aspire to, rather than wholesale teardowns. 

As someone living on the westside and doing routine litter pick-ups, I can tell you the transition to density and alternative housing product is intimidating to many.  By the way, Freedom Drive looks as though someone is routinely shaking out bags of garbage along its length.

Edited by RANYC
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

58 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

From the city countys own website about affordable housing and the UDO

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) About the UDO - Charlotte Unified Development OrdinanceCharlotte Unified Development Ordinance (charlotteudo.org)

""How does the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) address Affordable Housing?
The vision and guiding principles of the UDO support affordable housing by encouraging a range of housing choices. In short, this includes housing that meet the needs of people with different incomes, ages, physical abilities and lifestyles. Research has shown that supporting a greater mix of housing types is key to providing more opportunities for affordable housing.

In addition, the UDO includes several other methods to achieve greater affordability including incentives, removing regulatory barriers, and providing higher density housing opportunities.""

I am just saying city leaders said over and over again it would help with the Missing Middle in housing well not really.  Yes it increases density but not  providing less expensive options in neighborhoods.    

Sustain Charlotte urges City Council to proceed with the approved UDO - Sustain Charlotte 

""Policy 2.1 in the 2040 Comprehensive Plan will allow duplexes and triplexes to be built on any lot currently zoned for single-family only, except for areas where an HOA or covenants disallow this. This policy is an essential part of the plan because it will allow more “missing middle” housing within neighborhoods.  And increasing the housing supply is critical to addressing our housing affordability problem.  When we restrict housing, we reduce the supply, increasing the price.""

Missing middle must not mean lower prices or more affordable housing as these are just newer higher density homes.    I am just pointing out this how it is marketed to people more missing middle and we are not seeing that and likely won't.    Yes increased densities along transit lines or corridors is a great idea.  

I think you may misunderstand what missing middle housing is 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missing_middle_housing

It is about density, not affordability. Yes there were inherent promises of affordable housing in the UDO, but no one said they’d be building affordable housing triplexes in south Charlotte.

Building triplexes in single family neighborhoods IS addressing missing middle. 

Edited by MothBeast

so if someone wanted to raze a historic home in Dilworth and build a modern triplex could they do that ?  Of course not.  Why are historical  districts allowed to stop this densification?  I saw the renderings of these modern contemporary  triplexes and they so out of character for that neighborhood.  Perhaps most SF neighborhoods should become historic (many are older than 50 years old now) and protect themselves?  I have no problem with neighborhoods having SFs, duplexes and triplexes on the same street.  I think neighborhoods like Dilworth should be able to have some new "missing middle homes" too.   

• Like 2

7 hours ago, kermit said:

^ @KJHburgwhat type of housing would you consider to be ‘missing middle’ in areas where the highest density option is a triplex?

so you agree with me that Dilworth should raze some of their smaller SF homes and build duplexes and triplexes?    I doubt you would.  

On the edges of these neighborhoods closer to major roads yes triplexes and duplexes could be built and in fact many years ago they did.  But to drop a triplex brand new in the middle of SF home neighborhood I know the Dilworth types would surely hate that but they can hide behind historical designations.   Thank God many neighborhoods have HOA restrictions that wont allow this to happen.  Yet most new communities around the city have all kinds of mixtures of housing types from apartments to townhomes to SF homes (see Highland Creek, Berewick,Waverly, and many smaller newer neighborhoods) 

I am ALL for increasing density along existing major transit corridors even future ones but in the middle of SF neighborhoods with NO hope of ever seeing a bus route is not right.  As this grows around town you will see a backlash from all types of neighborhoods lower income ones, high income ones all over.  

• Thanks 3
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, kermit said:

You didn't really answer the question, what does missing middle look like when a triplex is the max density allowed? Why do you and the Ledger feel like these triplexes are not 'it'? There are a ton of new build, single family all around me that is out of character for the neighborhood. Honestly it makes no difference to me if those out of character places contain one, two or three families -- honestly the triplexes are better for me since that will mean better restaurants and neighborhood retail. 

On Dilworth (and other historical districts), of course homes can be torn down and replaced with a triplex. In the city-designated district you might need to wait a year before tear down, but it would be allowed. There is a tear down across the street from me right now. The other part of the UDO designed to increase density is ADUs, which are permitted to be built in the historic district.  The historic districts in town are blessed with pretty good transit (for Charlotte) thanks to their centrality, so they are very appropriate places for densification.

Won't allow what to happen? They won't allow new housing to be built to accommodate new arrivals and allow our kids to afford living in Charlotte? Won't allow land owners to realize the full value of their land? Won't allow a mother in law suite to be built?

Missing middle to me is not replacing $825K home with 3 $1 Million ones. 

New housing is being built anywhere.  I am not against ADUs and what I was saying is the deed restrictions will keep some triplexes out of neighborhoods.   Most t every new neighborhood is a mixture of housing styles and I cited many examples.  So the market is building lots of varieties of homes everywhere but a growing city like ours always has a need for more.  What about all the infill on former commercially zoned land and that is a good thing but it does push those businesess out further to the suburbs.  Case in point the The Bradham apartments on the Pepsi Cola bottling plant site on South Blvd.  That plant is now in Harrisburg.  I think this city is densify at a tremendous rate but yes I don't like the idea of a triplex plopped down in the middle of a neighborhood that as I said has no hope of even a bus route.  

They won't allow new housing to be built to accommodate new arrivals and allow our kids to afford living in Charlotte?    So a $ 1 million triplex unit is what your kids will be able to afford?  More supply is needed everywhere and yes that includes in surrounding counties.  

On Dilworth (and other historical districts), of course homes can be torn down and replaced with a triplex.    I can't wait to see this happen and be sure to notify me when it does which I highly doubt without a firestorm.

We will agree to disagree on this but I am favor of increasing densities where the infrastructure or transit is nearby.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Missing middle to me is not replacing $825K home with 3 $1 Million ones. 

New housing is being built anywhere.  I am not against ADUs and what I was saying is the deed restrictions will keep some triplexes out of neighborhoods.   Most t every new neighborhood is a mixture of housing styles and I cited many examples.  So the market is building lots of varieties of homes everywhere but a growing city like ours always has a need for more.  What about all the infill on former commercially zoned land and that is a good thing but it does push those businesess out further to the suburbs.  Case in point the The Bradham apartments on the Pepsi Cola bottling plant site on South Blvd.  That plant is now in Harrisburg.  I think this city is densify at a tremendous rate but yes I don't like the idea of a triplex plopped down in the middle of a neighborhood that as I said has no hope of even a bus route.  

They won't allow new housing to be built to accommodate new arrivals and allow our kids to afford living in Charlotte?    So a $ 1 million triplex unit is what your kids will be able to afford?  More supply is needed everywhere and yes that includes in surrounding counties.  

On Dilworth (and other historical districts), of course homes can be torn down and replaced with a triplex.    I can't wait to see this happen and be sure to notify me when it does which I highly doubt without a firestorm.

We will agree to disagree on this but I am favor of increasing densities where the infrastructure or transit is nearby.   

I’m sorry KJ but this discussion has gone off the rails. It doesn’t really matter what missing middle is to you, it has an established definition and if you have your own this isn’t going to be much of a discussion. You have now jumped to this straw man Dilworth argument which doesn’t make any sense to me, they built a quadplex right off East Blvd just last year for example. My original point was that you paraphrased the NIMBYs as saying that because these new units weren’t affordable housing, they weren’t missing middle. I corrected that notion and I am going to move on now.

Edited by MothBeast

the UDO is the law of the land here in Charlotte and if it is as popular as most of you think it is then there will be no problems.   People will make their own choices about where they might live.

I was showing an example of this triplex housing being put into a neighborhood and trying to show some of you why people might be upset.  My words here have been mischaracterized so I will leave this conversation.  Good luck with the UDO! 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

the UDO is the law of the land here in Charlotte and if it is as popular as most of you think it is then there will be no problems.   People will make their own choices about where they might live.

I was showing an example of this triplex housing being put into a neighborhood and trying to show some of you why people might be upset.  My words here have been mischaracterized so I will leave this conversation.  Good luck with the UDO! 

I think we can set an example for ending discussions that boil down to a fundamental misunderstanding before they get too out of hand. Much respect to you and your contributions to this website KJ and I’m sorry we weren’t on the same page here.

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This whole discussion made me think of this from Marketplace on Monday evening: Amid a national housing shortage, Texas is an exception - Marketplace

Scott: Healthy! I mean, the rest of the country can hardly be described that way. What is going on in Houston that makes it healthy?

Grant: Well, you know, Houston is one of those areas that people are moving to from other areas, number one. Number two, we have adopted something that the rest of the country has known for years, and it’s called the duplex. And the duplexes are just absolutely flying off of the shelves. So some markets are, you know, of course, doing better than others, but overall, that’s why I will say it’s pretty healthy.

Scott: So largely speaking, the country has been facing a housing shortage. There just aren’t enough homes for sale. But Texas has had a little bit of a different story with a lot of building in the past few years. Do you feel like you have enough supply there?

Grant: I’ll say we have sufficient supply because, specifically in Houston, we have a lot of vacant land. So what’s been happening is we have noticed a lot of our vacant land has been converted into housing, which is great for those that are in need of housing, but not so great for those that, you know, understand the need for green space.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Hey, so can someone just tell me real quick: are tri-plexes by-right now (or three units per parcel)? 

I'm having trouble sorting through the available info online.

Yes, triplexes can now be built (nearly) anywhere that was SF exclusionary before the UDO was passed.

• HOA neighborhoods still have home design restricted by existing HOA policies (nothing changed in HOA neighborhoods)
  • The city has been making noises about making this change less universal (one policy was to require that formerly exclusionary neighborhoods keep a minimum of 30% SFH). I don't believe any of these changes have been adopted yet (but I may be wrong about that)
  • Some areas allow for even higher densities in formerly SF exclusionary areas that are adjacent to corridors
  • I am not certain about the logic but I believe ADUs are legal in lieu of (but not in addition to)  a 'plex in all of these areas.

EDIT: This is not a huge change in our land use regulation. IIRC duplexes have been legal on corner lots in Single Family Exclusionary zones for about 15 years. [there was one built about 15 years ago on the corner of McDonald and Magnolia in Dilworth, passers by would be hard pressed to identify it as a duplex]

Edited by kermit
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

On 2/8/2024 at 12:26 PM, davidclt said:

Added One Clicks to generate the message, add all at large, district representatives and the mayor:

Mayor Vi Liles [email protected]  
At Large Dimple Ajmera [email protected]  
At Large LaWana Mayfield [email protected]  
At Large James Mitchell [email protected]  
At Large Victoria Watlington [email protected]  
District 1 Dante Anderson [email protected] One Click - District 1
District 2 Malcolm Graham [email protected] One Click - District 2
District 3 Tiawana Brown [email protected] One Click - District 3
District 4 Reneé Perkins Johnson [email protected] One Click - District 4
District 5 Marjorie Molina [email protected] One Click - District 5
District 6 Tariq Bokhari [email protected] One Click - District 6
District 7 Ed Driggs [email protected] One Click - District 7

So quick follow-up to this. . .  On 2/8 (@ 11:15 am) I wrote all my representation a brief, polite but unambiguous email concerning the UDO.

So far I've heard from Dimple (2/8 @ 3:15) with a coherent, affirmative response. Mayor Liles (2/13 @ 3:30) anodyne, almost neutral response about staying engaged with the process and no changes proposed yet. Otherwise, Mayfield, Mitchell, Watlington and Anderson all Radio Silence. Dante's silence surprises me a little bit because I thought she was more engaged with her constituents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

So quick follow-up to this. . .  On 2/8 (@ 11:15 am) I wrote all my representation a brief, polite but unambiguous email concerning the UDO.

So far I've heard from Dimple (2/8 @ 3:15) with a coherent, affirmative response. Mayor Liles (2/13 @ 3:30) anodyne, almost neutral response about staying engaged with the process and no changes proposed yet. Otherwise, Mayfield, Mitchell, Watlington and Anderson all Radio Silence. Dante's silence surprises me a little bit because I thought she was more engaged with her constituents.

I had exactly the same set of (non)responses to my emails (although I did not send anything to the mayor). I am also disappointed by Dante's silence, particularly since I am in her district (Larkin would have replied).

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

I expect that the UDO "multiplex-everywhere" provision will change so just brace yourselves.  For projects that are 5 acres or less, including urban infill projects, multiplexes will continue to be allowed everywhere, and I believe this will get a majority of council's support.

Are multiplexes in single-family neighborhoods a way out of our national housing crisis?  I doubt it.

Are monetary policy, monetary policy expectations, incentives targeted to affordable housing suppliers & a wider variety of financing product to said suppliers all bigger variables in improving housing affordability?  I believe so.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1